Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2023 7:13:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556]
So I’ve never owned any Walther Pistols and this SD compact has caught my eye .  From everything I can tell the PDP is an excellent pistol.  
  Is there any negatives that someone like myself should know about.  I primarily own HK pistols and a few sigs so grip angles etc are all GTG

Any aftermarket concerns for mags, holsters etc ?

It’s looks like a very well thought out pistol that really doesn’t need anything.   I would be adding a RMR, Harthorn Comp when not suppressed and my x300 light.
  I don’t expect anyone on the Walther sub-fourm to talk me out of it, but you never know.

Also $799 seems to be the going rate.  Should I expect any better?  Honestly that’s seems very fair compared to say the VP9 tactical I had planned to buy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a VP9 tactical and a PDP. Both are very good guns; probably the best 9mm guns I own. I'm contemplating buying a a Pro SD as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_Golf:
I have a VP9 tactical and a PDP. Both are very good guns; probably the best 9mm guns I own. I'm contemplating buying a a Pro SD as well.
View Quote

The HK Tactical price is closer to $1100 so it’s a huge price difference.   I’m not sure the HK is any better even if the cost were the same.  The price isn’t the issue of the HK was a clear winner.  I don’t really see a con with the PDP but the OR HK had the optic riding so high on the plate they use.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#3]
Dont hesitate.  I shoot USPSA with my Pro SD and its been fantastic.  Silly accurate.  Uber reliable.  Best striker fired trigger on the market.  The only drawback I can find is that the slide to frame fit, particularly at the muzzle end, is a bit loose.  So, it will rattle if you shake it.  Walther told me it was completely normal.  And given the gun will literally shoot one hole groups at 12 yards, I believe them.

Taken together, my Pro SD and Q4SF have relegated my Glocks to the dust bin.  In fact, I've sold all of them off except for a single G19.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
Dont hesitate.  I shoot USPSA with my Pro SD and its been fantastic.  Silly accurate.  Uber reliable.  Best striker fired trigger on the market.  The only drawback I can find is that the slide to frame fit, particularly at the muzzle end, is a bit loose.  So, it will rattle if you shake it.  Walther told me it was completely normal.  And given the gun will literally shoot one hole groups at 12 yards, I believe them.

Taken together, my Pro SD and Q4SF have relegated my Glocks to the dust bin.  In fact, I've sold all of them off except for a single G19.

https://i.imgur.com/yAQKNgt.jpg
View Quote

Im down to 3 Glocks which I’ll keep, but they will not get much use.
  I’m glad you mentioned the slide deal. I’m sure I would have thought it was an issue since I ll not sure I’d get to see two side by side.    My normal fun shop is closed Sun/Mon so I’ll swing by tomorrow.  Hoping to get lucky and see one in stock if not I’ll order
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mc556:

Im down to 3 Glocks which I’ll keep, but they will not get much use.
  I’m glad you mentioned the slide deal. I’m sure I would have thought it was an issue since I ll not sure I’d get to see two side by side.    My normal fun shop is closed Sun/Mon so I’ll swing by tomorrow.  Hoping to get lucky and see one in stock if not I’ll order
View Quote

I dont think you will be disappointed.  Taylor Freelance and Walther have lots of fun parts.

The only other thing to be mindful of is magazine compatibility.  The magwell on the Pro SD creates issues with what mags will fit.  My Pro SD will not fit standard PDP mags.  I have to buy specific baseplates so they can fit. Not a huge deal but something to be mindful of.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to range next to work with coworkers and shared guns.
I shot coworkers PPQ better than any of my guns so I bought one that day.

Last year I wanted another and learned it was replaced with PDP so I bought one. Uses same mags.

Only cons:
The PDP slide is kind of chucky compared to PPQ, everything else as good or better.
Bost have great triggers but are at the low limit of what I consider safe for EDC.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Well my favorite local shop was open and had the PDP I wanted in stock for a killer price.  I decided to get it .
Upon finishing paperwork I was offered a used mint condition Q5 Match for dirt cheap.   Well I went from never owning a Walther to owning two.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
How much did you pay for the Q5 Match? I paid $650 out the door, new for mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#10]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View Quote

Wow well I paid $650 for it.  Sounds like you got a hell of a deal of I didn't research enough.
When I looked online they were all $850 and up if in stock.      This one is like new.   Judging by the condition of the barrel, mags and breach face I'd say unfired since it left the factory.
 It accepted the serial # for the free optic plate so we will see.     I paid $759 for the PDP which is a bit less than most of the online places were selling for.

Edit that mag thats marked up had some adhesive and the lines from being inserted look more pronounced in the pic.  So it went to the range at least once.    Honestly I love low round count used pistols.  Let someone else brake them in on their dime
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Ya the PDP was a planned purchase but the other completely impulse.
I am not sure I needed it but it will get used depending on how well I shoot it.   I have a range at home so I'll know soon enough.  If not it will be on the EE lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#12]
Congrats. You did great.   And you are going to wish the Q5 Match had the PDP Pro's flat flat trigger.  Ive been waiting for 4 months for Walther to restock the Dynamic trigger so I can install one in my Q4SF.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats. You did great.   And you are going to wish the Q5 Match had the PDP Pro's flat flat trigger.  Ive been waiting for 4 months for Walther to restock the Dynamic trigger so I can install one in my Q4SF.
View Quote

I have a PDP full-sized and I am waiting for the dynamic trigger also. Everyone says that it is better than the stock trigger and the stock trigger is damn good.  I really like the PDP.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Intune:

I have a PDP full-sized and I am waiting for the dynamic trigger also. Everyone says that it is better than the stock trigger and the stock trigger is damn good.  I really like the PDP.
View Quote

Based on my dry firing the PDP is nicer but both are excellent
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#15]

Based on my dry firing the PDP is nicer but both are excellent
View Quote

The Q5 trigger will get better as you fire the gun.  The "creep" (and it was ever so slight) and reset on the Q4 SF trigger I have (same trigger as on your Q5) has gotten noticeably better with rounds sent downrange.

But I agree with you....the flat faced trigger on the Pro SD is better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, you guys got good deals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
Wow, you guys got good deals.
View Quote

I’ve spent a ton of money at this shop over the years.  Even though we have PSA etc local this small shop is always great.  

I’ve spent enough he has me programmed in his cell so a deal is relative term lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Wow well I paid $650 for it.  Sounds like you got a hell of a deal of I didn't research enough.
When I looked online they were all $850 and up if in stock.      This one is like new.   Judging by the condition of the barrel, mags and breach face I'd say unfired since it left the factory.
 It accepted the serial # for the free optic plate so we will see.     I paid $759 for the PDP which is a bit less than most of the online places were selling for.

Edit that mag thats marked up had some adhesive and the lines from being inserted look more pronounced in the pic.  So it went to the range at least once.    Honestly I love low round count used pistols.  Let someone else brake them in on their dime
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

Yeah, I snagged one way back when they first hit the market. I was blown away at they price at a gunshow.

Actually, $685 on 12/2018.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope they send the RMR plate quickly. I registered it in the parking lot about 10 min after I bought the pistol
I have a RM06 RMR waiting.
   Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USPguy] [#20]
My PPQ Q5 Match SF Pro looks down its snooty nose at its lesser brothers......................  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By USPguy:
My PPQ Q5 Match SF Pro looks down its snooty nose at its lesser brothers......................  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/PPQ_Q5_MATCH_SF_PRO_jpg-2746052.JPG
View Quote

Lol

Those look nice. Thank the lord they didn’t have one in stock when I was buying the others.    I honestly don’t. Know why I bought the Q5 but that’s never been a problem.

Guys who is the go to for holsters for my PDP with the x300?
I see Dara and Black scorpion gear. This would be for a battle belt setup so I want retention.  Any others or pros and cons of the two I listed ?

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:32:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Intune] [#22]

Lol

Those look nice. Thank the lord they didn’t have one in stock when I was buying the others.    I honestly don’t. Know why I bought the Q5 but that’s never been a problem.

I see Dara and Black scorpion gear. This would be for a battle belt setup so I want retention.  Any others or pros and cons of the two I listed ?
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/PPQ_Q5_MATCH_SF_PRO_jpg-2746052.JPG

Lol

I went with Falco. https://www.falcoholsters.com/gun-holsters?filter%5Bgun%5D=2151&filter%5Bmodel%5D=4482&filter%5Bbarrel%5D=4496&filter%5Bcaliber%5D=4496  Excellent craftsmanship.  And I say that comparing it to my Kramers.  I use it with this configuration.
Attachment Attached File

I have switched RDS’s with no problem but the light seems to be an exact fit.  I will take a pic in the morning.
ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Lol

View Quote

All I can say is, don't EVER hold one in your hand.

I held this the first time last Oct or so & could NOT get it out of my thoughts. I own or have held some very expensive guns (Korth, Janz, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, etc) in my time. But the PPQ Q5 Match SF Pro hit my hand unlike anything else I can recall. I finally bought mine a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall any other gun I own that I went that long between holding & buying. In a world full of polymer framed guns, it's wonderful to hold a sculpted piece of steel.  

Haven't shot it yet but look forward to doing so. I have some CZ Custom guns that I want to measure it against.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#24]

I held this the first time last Oct or so & could NOT get it out of my thoughts. I own or have held some very expensive guns (Korth, Janz, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, etc) in my time. But the PPQ Q5 Match SF Pro hit my hand unlike anything else I can recall. I finally bought mine a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall any other gun I own that I went that long between holding & buying. In a world full of polymer framed guns, it's wonderful to hold a sculpted piece of steel.  

Haven't shot it yet but look forward to doing so. I have some CZ Custom guns that I want to measure it against.  
View All Quotes

Lol

I sold my CZ Shadow 2 and kinda regret it.   I shoot plates at home, but don't compete in anything that really justifies such a heavy pistol. on the flip side they are fun and accurate.   I am hoping I get home in time to fire the two I just got.  
 I am hoping Q5 I have will fill the void as a cheaper version of the CZ I had.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:16:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#25]
The steel frame Walthers are works of art.  My Q4 SF is a joy to hold and shoot.  Nothing comes close with regard to build quality and craftsmanship until you get 2-3X in price.

ETA:  You want a battle belt set up, so disregard the below.  But I'll leave the pics up anyway.  Check here for holsters:  https://waltherarms.com/holsters-pdp

I run a CompTac International (Walther branded) for IDPA/USPSA for both my Pro SD and Q4 and have a TRex Arms Sidecar for AIWB for my Q4.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice- how does the compact handle/shoot vs the full size?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#27]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
View Quote

I don’t know but the Pro SD compact I bought shoots great.
I got home before dark and got 50 rounds in.  
My only issue right now is finding the extra 18rd mags that match what came with it

I liked the Q5 as well but I only had time to run a single mag through it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Intune] [#28]

My only issue right now is finding the extra 18rd mags that match what came with it

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

It really is a strange thing how grips “fit.”  I have a G27 that I shoot very well with two fingers hanging off the grip. My full sized PDP is a totally different animal.  I’m 6’3” and all of my fingers fit on comfortably. No extended magazines, nothing.  “High axis,” “snappy.”  I don’t know what that means? It’s a 9mm.  It doesn’t shoot the second shot 6–8” away. They are usually almost touching.  I am not exaggerating.

When you pick up one of these pistols and shoot it, you will know exactly what I mean.  I don’t know if it’s the trigger, the grip, magic, or a combination of all three. Shoot one, form your own opinion. I like them and am almost scared to shoot one of the compacts because I will be adding to the stable.  Really nice firearms.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn’t think it was snappy at all.  I’m no expert, but I’ve owned a lot of pistols and I believe the mechanical grip Simone has plays a huge part of that perception.
    Years ago I started with the high thumbs forward grip.  I just grabbed my p320 AXG and the PDP and the bore axis looks identical in and the AXG’s slide sits a bit higher up.  The AXG heavy compared to the PDP.   I haven’t shot them side by side yet.     In the next week or two I think I’m going to pull out a few pistols and do a non scientific test.    
    In my mind it’s always been the G19 that felt snappy.  Now I have no doubt I’d get flamed criticizing, perfection on their subform.  
    I don’t own a timer, but I do have a few steel plates that are spaced a few feet apart with a 3rd about 10ft.   I like to run those as a 1-2/1-2 then 3-3 for practice.  
    Spoiler the MP5 is the king especially suppressed with 158 subs.  Everyone feels like Delta shooting it.  

I think I’ll try the PDP against a few others.
VP9sk with the extended 13 mag and a p30sk
G19, P01 tactical and the p320 AXG.
Any of you in the SC update or close by that has a timer and wants some free range time ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#30]
This guy is a Master Class shooter and has done testing with the PDP and bore axis.  Interesting results.

Walther PDP - Now with 100% more "P"s!

Is BORE AXIS a MYTH? Testing Bore axis vs. Ergonomics vs. Weight

ETA:  Since OP is diving into the Walther pool and finding the waters as refreshing as those of us who have been here awhile, perhaps this vid will also be useful.  

Walther Q4SF vs Sig Sauer P320 AXG Scorpion - Metal Striker Showdown!
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Apparently the plate came yesterday. That’s 2.5 days from order form to mailbox.  Not bad Walther

To comp or not to comp.   I hate the Rowland Special moniker, but it’s a sound concept that shoots great with hot 124s. I already had the Rm06 and x300
  I have about 500 lose 124 Gold Dots and a bunch of power Pistol so I say comp.  I hate to admit it but I don’t care much for hanging the suppressor off a pistol.  I much more enjoy them on a PCC/PDW so the comps not going to be a pain to remove etc.    
   Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
This guy is a Master Class shooter and has done testing with the PDP and bore axis.  Interesting results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelfFEAkFPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKg8Mlzyxro

ETA:  Since OP is diving into the Walther pool and finding the waters as refreshing as those of us who have been here awhile, perhaps this vid will also be useful.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6M5H03ovwo
View Quote

Thanks for the clips.
I’ve always felt people listen to paid internet influencers way to much.   Every time I hear about Glock perfection and G19 is on choice I cringe.    They are fine pistols but definitely have their flaws.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Ok so let’s talk PPQ .22 SD  I see they can be had for under $350
My 22 trainer is an Advantage Arms G19 slide conversion. As usually goes with .22 semis it only like certain ammo. I can accept that.   The reviews seem favorable.  Has anyone had luck milling on for a RMR?  Is that possible without hitting any internals?   The RMR is pretty lightweight so with milling some metal out the slide the slide might still be able to function without messing ( much) with the spring.     Not a deal killer for me just curious.

These are a blast with rimfire especially with a RMR.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#34]

My 22 trainer is an Advantage Arms G19 slide conversion. As usually goes with .22 semis it only like certain ammo. I can accept that.   The reviews seem favorable.  Has anyone had luck milling on for a RMR?  Is that possible without hitting any internals?   The RMR is pretty lightweight so with milling some metal out the slide the slide might still be able to function without messing ( much) with the spring.     Not a deal killer for me just curious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/6C9BEFC3-2F4E-4885-B7C9-06FA641B3114_jpe-2750524.JPG
View Quote

You are welcome for the clips.  Glocks are good for what they are...a floor...NOT a ceiling as far as striker fired polymer framed handguns go.  It took me a while to fully understand this.  But now I've seen the light.

The PPQ .22 is the one Walther Ive seen mixed results with.  But that is also anecdotal.  So, do your homework (as it appears you are doing).  My trainer is a Volquartsen upper on an old MkII lower.  It eats EVERYTHING, suppressed or not.  But I also recognize it is a different manual of arms from the PDP/Q4.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#35]

You are welcome for the clips.  Glocks are good for what they are...a floor...NOT a ceiling as far as striker fired polymer framed handguns go.  It took me a while to fully understand this.  But now I've seen the light.

The PPQ .22 is the one Walther Ive seen mixed results with.  But that is also anecdotal.  So, do your homework (as it appears you are doing).  My trainer is a Volquartsen upper on an old MkII lower.  It eats EVERYTHING, suppressed or not.  But I also recognize it is a different manual of arms from the PDP/Q4.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/6C9BEFC3-2F4E-4885-B7C9-06FA641B3114_jpe-2750524.JPG

The PPQ .22 intrest is definitely based on the same manual of arms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I need to pick up a few extra mags for PDP pro just not at $80 a pop.
In case any of you guys were looking, they’re $41 at gunmag warehouse  I absolutely love this pistol, but that was my big hang up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#37]
The PDP Pro is arguably the best striker fired polymer pistol.

Link Posted: Today 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#38]
It really might be or is certainly at the top.  Unfortunately in one of the Canik threads someone asked if Walther was had copied Canik.     Great pistol, but not really marketed in any way that is effective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top