Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 9:15:23 PM EDT
My grip occasionally keeps the slide stop from activating on empty. All my Walthers get a slide stop chop to negate the issue. Doesn't look like much, but a big difference for me on the range.

Remove slide stop, cut with dremel cutting wheel just behind where the  slide stop actually engages the slide (definitely don't want to change that dimension by mistake), file a rounded edge and clean up burrs, dremel with very fine grit sanding drum just to remove file tool marks, dremel polishing wheel with polishing compound, Birchwood Casey Super Blue to finish it, reinstall slide stop.

Takes me about 20min. Luckily the slide stops come out easier on these steel frame versions since the frame doesn't flex when you whack it with a punch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great. I don't have an issue with mine but you did a great job with yours.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I love when people mod to tailor a pistol to themselves especially when they do not chase super expensive wonder mods but rework what they have.  Nice work!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thebert:
Looks great. I don't have an issue with mine but you did a great job with yours.
View Quote

Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
I love when people mod to tailor a pistol to themselves especially when they do not chase super expensive wonder mods but rework what they have.  Nice work!
View Quote
Thank you for the kind words. I will say I looked for an aftermarket solution first, they dont exist. This is the same process which lead me down the 3d design and print path, but of course a 3d print likely wouldn't fare well for this application. This modification is pretty simply and totally changes the viability of the Walthers to me personally, I do like it. For those of you with grips which don't interfere with the stock lever, I applaud you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same issue with certain pistols.  I wasn't feeling froggy enough to do what you did, but next time I might.
Nice work OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  That would not have occurred to me.  Yes aftermarket anything for the Q5 are slim pickings.

One of the things I like about my Q5 is the giant slide stop.  I haven't had problems with it.

I also try my best not to shoot to slide lock. I try to reload before I run dry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I have the same issue with certain pistols.  I wasn't feeling froggy enough to do what you did, but next time I might.
Nice work OP.
View Quote
Thanks!
Originally Posted By Ewald:
Interesting.  That would not have occurred to me.  Yes aftermarket anything for the Q5 are slim pickings.

One of the things I like about my Q5 is the giant slide stop.  I haven't had problems with it.

I also try my best not to shoot to slide lock. I try to reload before I run dry.
View Quote
Despite being a competition oriented handgun, I don't shoot competition. I'm more on the "Duty and Defense" side of the house, so I do a lot of slide lock reload practice. for running competition, avoiding slide lock is definitley the way to go!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hox:
My grip occasionally keeps the slide stop from activating on empty. All my Walthers get a slide stop chop to negate the issue. Doesn't look like much, but a big difference for me on the range.

Remove slide stop, cut with dremel cutting wheel just behind where the  slide stop actually engages the slide (definitely don't want to change that dimension by mistake), file a rounded edge and clean up burrs, dremel with very fine grit sanding drum just to remove file tool marks, dremel polishing wheel with polishing compound, Birchwood Casey Super Blue to finish it, reinstall slide stop.

Takes me about 20min. Luckily the slide stops come out easier on these steel frame versions since the frame doesn't flex when you whack it with a punch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301997/1000005057_jpg-3184489.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301997/1000005058_jpg-3184490.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/301997/1000005059_jpg-3184492.JPG
View Quote

Nice work. I can’t even tell where you cut it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s a great mod. I bought a pdp-f and my weird shaped thumb locks the slide back every now and then. It’s the only pistol I have trouble with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, do you just knock out the slide stop or do you have to do any other disassembly prior to getting out the punch and hammer? I have a PDP-F.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRanger1838:
OP, do you just knock out the slide stop or do you have to do any other disassembly prior to getting out the punch and hammer? I have a PDP-F.
View Quote
Remove the slide, and I remove the takedown lever first. Honestly not sure that you'd have to. But that's it. Be careful with the polymer frames, these slide stop pins can be a real pain to remove and people have verifiable cracked their polymer frames beating on these pins. I did two polymer frames in the past and they were harder to work with because of the frame flex, but I didn't damage anything when I did them. Just make sure your frame is well supported.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, you did a very good job. Doesn't look haggled up at all like I would have expected had there no been photos. For myself, the very long ambidextrous slide stop/release is a huge plus in the favor of the PPQ and PDP of which I have two models of each. They are my favorite polymer framed striker fired handguns. Much more to my liking than the stubby wide slide stop/releases of the excellent VP9. But if they don't work for you than fix it so it does.

The steel frame Walther is my next handgun purchase. You done good.
Link Posted: Today 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By delta25:
OP, you did a very good job. Doesn't look haggled up at all like I would have expected had there no been photos. For myself, the very long ambidextrous slide stop/release is a huge plus in the favor of the PPQ and PDP of which I have two models of each. They are my favorite polymer framed striker fired handguns. Much more to my liking than the stubby wide slide stop/releases of the excellent VP9. But if they don't work for you than fix it so it does.

The steel frame Walther is my next handgun purchase. You done good.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: Today 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Remove the slide, and I remove the takedown lever first. Honestly not sure that you'd have to. But that's it. Be careful with the polymer frames, these slide stop pins can be a real pain to remove and people have verifiable cracked their polymer frames beating on these pins. I did two polymer frames in the past and they were harder to work with because of the frame flex, but I didn't damage anything when I did them. Just make sure your frame is well supported.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRanger1838:

@Hox
Thanks for the post. I’m cautious about doing this. I tend to screw up small jobs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top