Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 6:09:27 PM EDT
I have a Surefire and while it fits the rail it doesn't clamp tight.  I don't think it will fall off but don't like the movement.

What does the Hive say for a light?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Streamlight TLR-1 HL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAJC:
Thank you!
View Quote

They have different inserts that allow for use with many different pistols. For the SIG P320, there is an insert marked "SIG" that is used. For other pistols with a picatinny rail, there is one marked "1913". There is even on specifically for Glocks.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem on either of my P320s with Streamlight TLR-1HL, Streamlight TLR-7 or Surefire X300. Check your slot keys to insure that you have the correct one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered one just now.

Guess the Surefire will get moved to the G21.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The Surefire fits. If you are using the A model they are notorious for being loose fitting especially if you are removing it regularly or moving it from gun to gun. You can sort of fix this by retightening the screws that fit along the side of the X300 and also stretching the spring that is under the rail key out a bit. Also with the X300 you want to use the key marked “P” and not the one marked “U”. Personally I don’t use the A model on any gun. The quick detach mount is not know for being as durable. The B version of the X300 is the only one I use. The P rail key in that however pushes the light out from the trigger guard. I’ve reached out to Tac Dev to see about having a P320 specific rail key produced by I never heard back. The Streamlight TLR-1 is a good light though. Can’t really go wrong with either but I really like the new Turbo X300 model. It has lots of throw so I’ve been swapping all my older Ultra versions over to the Turbo.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a couple strips of 100mph tape on the rail section (not where it interferes with the lock up) and it tightens my x300 up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#8]
I also use the X300U-B on the P320 rail. I found that when using the P key on the X300U-A, the tolerances were too tight, and I couldn’t get the key to snap into the notch in the rail. It didn’t have enough clearance to hinge and fit into the notch. I exchanged the -A for a -B, and it works perfectly and locks up tight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm shooting the Sig alloy frame but no idea if that rail is different than the polymer frame.  When I take the Surefire off I'll try it on one of my polymer frames.

Neither of my Surefire 300's fit the Sig like they do the Glock- the Glock firmly snaps the light into the rails.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
MK318- your top handgun looks very similar to mine.

I messed with the 2 mounts that came with my Surefire and neither locked tight so my Surefire goes on the G21 and the new Streamlight on the Sig.

I thought about shimming the mount to get it tighter but would rather just buy the correct light.  Not that 100 mph tape hasn't fixed about everything over my military career...

Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Olight PL Turbo.  It has a screw clamp similar to the Surefire X300-B Turbo, more output, more throw, better beam quality, and it doesn't have those horrendous Surefire push switches 🤮
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
Olight PL Turbo.
View Quote

I love their pocket lights for EDC, but their weapon lights have apparently failed pretty regularly at Thunder Ranch, while Surefires keep on performing:

Avoid These Common Gun Owner Mistakes
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#13]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I love their pocket lights for EDC, but their weapon lights have apparently failed pretty regularly at Thunder Ranch, while Surefires keep on performing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fR_af-qRI
View Quote

Their weapon light failures have largely been from lights like the original Odin that had a Surefire scout compatible mount screwed to it with a pair of very small screws.   On their newer lights (some of which I can't talk about due to NDA) like the Javelot Tac, the mount itself is machined directly into the body of the light, eliminating that point of failure.  You are not locked into using their QD mount that was mentioned in that video as you can use a Scout compatible mount and mount it much more rigidly.  The Javelot Tac also used a shrouded tail switch that makes it very difficult to yank the remote cable loose, because it surrounds a collar that is similar to an air chuck where you have to grab it and pull back to release it.  There is even something in the works to make that better as well, but I've already said too much.

Werkz, who is clearly biased against Olight, yet makes products for them because that is what their customers want, have, albeit reluctantly, admitted that the Javelot Tac and PL Turbo are pretty good lights.   In the video about the PL Turbo he admits that it is a sample of 1, yet the Surefire they are comparing it to is the best of 4 that he cherry picked.   Too many people gloss over that fact, especially after the PL Turbo outperforms the X300 Turbo in several key metrics.

Olight PL Turbo vs Surefire X300 (Best weapon light)

In this video they beat the ever loving crap out of weapon lights, and look how well that new Javelot Tac does...

Destroying 9 of the best rifle lights

Yes, I take the Olight hate personally because I was very active on CandlePowerForums for over a decade, doing runtime testing and product T&E for several manufacturers.  Olight came out of the gate strong, with some of the best electronics in the game.  David Chow, the original owner of Fenix Store (who I did a lot of testing for) went on to found FourSevens and built some of the coolest lights in the industry.  Many of those were built by, or with Olight. David then sold the company to Prometheus lights and went on to become the Chairman of the Board at Olight.

There was an incident where someone was killed when an Olight he was holding in his mouth exploded, which started a huge rumor mill that Olight's are known for exploding (Lucas Botkin refers to them as  I.E.D.'s).  The reality is that the Nuon brand cells used in the light were determined to have been faulty and led to the explosion; all Olight was found guilty of is not warning customers strongly enough about how dangerous CR123a lithium cells are.   Back when this happened, there had already been a bunch of instances of 2xCR123a lights exploding, including Pelican, Surefire and Streamlight products.  An aviation electronics engineer from Garmin named Doug Leeper created a test board where he could reliably cause these explosions in a 2xCR123a when one of the cells was at a significantly lower state of charge, either due to intentional mismatching of the cells or from manufacturing defects.    CR123a cells are dangerous.  Did anyone turn on Pelican, Surefire or Streamlight over their explosions? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Olights are absolute trash. I don’t say that just because I read other posts where they shit the bed. I gave them a solid chance in 2019-2020 and every single pistol light I used failed inside of a 2,000 rounds. They are probably fine for someone who doesn’t shoot but 100-200 rounds per year but if you do actually shoot, skip them. Surefire or Streamlight. Holosun is dabbling in lights and lasers, if they start seriously producing lights I’ll probably check them out because their optics have been solid.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Their weapon light failures have largely been from lights like the original Odin that had a Surefire scout compatible mount screwed to it with a pair of very small screws.   On their newer lights (some of which I can't talk about due to NDA) like the Javelot Tac, the mount itself is machined directly into the body of the light, eliminating that point of failure.  You are not locked into using their QD mount that was mentioned in that video as you can use a Scout compatible mount and mount it much more rigidly.  The Javelot Tac also used a shrouded tail switch that makes it very difficult to yank the remote cable loose, because it surrounds a collar that is similar to an air chuck where you have to grab it and pull back to release it.  There is even something in the works to make that better as well, but I've already said too much.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74212/1000036390-2972107.jpg

Werkz, who is clearly biased against Olight, yet makes products for them because that is what their customers want, have, albeit reluctantly, admitted that the Javelot Tac and PL Turbo are pretty good lights.   In the video about the PL Turbo he admits that it is a sample of 1, yet the Surefire they are comparing it to is the best of 4 that he cherry picked.   Too many people gloss over that fact, especially after the PL Turbo outperforms the X300 Turbo in several key metrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHID-Rujpbw

In this video they beat the ever loving crap out of weapon lights, and look how well that new Javelot Tac does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msGcg4EdjB0

Yes, I take the Olight hate personally because I was very active on CandlePowerForums for over a decade, doing runtime testing and product T&E for several manufacturers.  Olight came out of the gate strong, with some of the best electronics in the game.  David Chow, the original owner of Fenix Store (who I did a lot of testing for) went on to found FourSevens and built some of the coolest lights in the industry.  Many of those were built by, or with Olight. David then sold the company to Prometheus lights and went on to become the Chairman of the Board at Olight.

There was an incident where someone was killed when an Olight he was holding in his mouth exploded, which started a huge rumor mill that Olight's are known for exploding (Lucas Botkin refers to them as  I.E.D.'s).  The reality is that the Nuon brand cells used in the light were determined to have been faulty and led to the explosion; all Olight was found guilty of is not warning customers strongly enough about how dangerous CR123a lithium cells are.   Back when this happened, there had already been a bunch of instances of 2xCR123a lights exploding, including Pelican, Surefire and Streamlight products.  An aviation electronics engineer from Garmin named Doug Leeper created a test board where he could reliably cause these explosions in a 2xCR123a when one of the cells was at a significantly lower state of charge, either due to intentional mismatching of the cells or from manufacturing defects.    CR123a cells are dangerous.  Did anyone turn on Pelican, Surefire or Streamlight over their explosions? I don't think so.
View Quote

Olights are fucking horrible, you should be ashamed in posting this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

+1 they have different “keys” you can use to butt it up to trigger guard.  I believe I’m using the 1913 key as opposed to the P320 key.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#17]
Their weapon light failures have largely been from lights like the original Odin that had a Surefire scout compatible mount screwed to it with a pair of very small screws.
View Quote

I’m not as worried about mounts, as those can be fixed. I’m more concerned about the light shown in the video that appears to be strobing while the student has his rifle slung at his side. That points to a switch or internal failure from the shock of firing the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Olights are fucking horrible, you should be ashamed in posting this.
View Quote

😂😂😂😂😂
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MK318:
Olights are absolute trash. I don’t say that just because I read other posts where they shit the bed. I gave them a solid chance in 2019-2020 and every single pistol light I used failed inside of a 2,000 rounds. They are probably fine for someone who doesn’t shoot but 100-200 rounds per year but if you do actually shoot, skip them. Surefire or Streamlight. Holosun is dabbling in lights and lasers, if they start seriously producing lights I’ll probably check them out because their optics have been solid.
View Quote

I run the hell out of my Olight PL Pro's and PL Turbos,  and several of them are on 10mm's that see thousands of rounds per year.  Their lights now are better than they've ever been.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#20]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I’m not as worried about mounts, as those can be fixed. I’m more concerned about the light shown in the video that appears to be strobing while the student has his rifle slung at his side. That points to a switch or internal failure from the shock of firing the weapon.
View Quote

This is the light that was strobing, it is not an Olight. It looks like a Streamlight TLR-10.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Mounted the new Streamlight on my Sig with the right adaptor and it's way tight.  And tight is always good.

I put the Surefire on my G21 and that's tight.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I had no issues with my Surefire X300
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top