Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2024 9:01:43 PM EDT
Looking for a "tackle-box gun" Something for general plinking, snake shooting, small game etc that can be treated poorly and left in a tackle box. Hoping for something in the vein of a 22 snub with double action trigger. I feel like a few years ago these were all over the place for 2 bills. Now they want 700s for a smith, 500s for a ruger. I know, go be poor somewhere else. It's not that I can't pay it, its more that im sorta looking for a piece of shit that will work but I don't have to feel bad about treating poorly. Lots of cheap single actions out there but seems like little in the double action category. Was thinking a Rossi/Taurus/Charter would fit the bill but they seem to be unobtanium. Am I just stupid?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#1]
Define "cheap"?

Charter has the Pathfinder .22 for ~$350
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your local pawn shops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Your quality revolvers like smith ruger and colt have always had a following and there has recently been something of a resurgence of popularity, with demand exceeding supply. My favorite 22 is a S&W 34-1 2” - I like the square butts and was searching for about 4-5 years before I found one, and it cost me around $600 about 8 years ago. Same thing today, if you can find one will run $750 or so.
The lower grade Rossi and Taurus still run in the 400-500 range, and charter arms right behind that.

There used to be lots of the old RG “suicide specials” around for $100 but these are not as common anymore ( they were marginal when new, let alone once they get some miles on them, and a lot were only chambered for 22 shorts!)

Patience and hunting and pecking around on the used market is the only way to go. It may take a while like my example above.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
High Standard Sentinel/JC Higgins 88 (Sears house brand). Alloy frames, pretty well built, and largely C&R qualified (if that matters to you.) My understanding is that they fit in a J-frame (?) holster like it was made for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feudist] [#6]
That time you're referring to ended years ago.
DA small revolvers are either collectors items or very expensive new guns. Even Hiigh Standard Sentinels have been "discovered" and are climbing rapidly.

The Heritage Barkeep  and Ruger Wranglers are probably your best bet.
You can get a 2.5 inch Barkeep for under 200. Add a 30 dollar birdshead grip and you've got a very compact little knockabout gun.
I saw this on a Kimber forum. Basically a bolt together project.

Looks like Heritage caught on. Here's the factory version for 150.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1035835031
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My little cheap crappy [finish] ''woods'' gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of quality H&R revolvers on Gunbroker.

IMO, better quality than allot of ‘new’ guns.

If you’ve never shot a SPORTSMAN, your missing out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#9]
Originally Posted By beruitUSMC0351:
Was thinking a Rossi/Taurus/Charter would fit the bill but they seem to be unobtanium. Am I just stupid?
View Quote

They don't seem that unobanium.

Taurus 942 - Gun.Deals

Charter Arms Pathfinder - Gun.Deals

The Charter will likely be your best bet if you want cheap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
My tackle box gun is a nickel H&R 32 top break.
I gave $55 for it.
Gotta make your own snake shot though.

Was I Op I would get a painted Wrangler and call it apple pie.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
The High Standard was copied by Weihrauch and made in Germany as the Arminius line of revolvers. The .22s are pretty solid and the HW9 is known for its accuracy.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
you can get the diamondback sidekick, its da/SA though looks like SA, and has both 22lr and mag cylinders.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By elgin25:
you can get the diamondback sidekick, its da/SA though looks like SA, and has both 22lr and mag cylinders.
View Quote

But it's a Diamondback and they're not known for high quality guns.

I had a DB9 years ago that I carried as a pocket gun. That stopped when I went to the range ad the trigger literally snapped off the gun while I was shooting.

Friends don't let friends buy guns built by boat manufacturers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
A quick perusal of gun broker shows 20 or more good condition double action 22’s under $200
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a few crappy 22 revolvers from Centerfiresystems last year when they had a used gun sale. Ended up with 3 cheapo specials for under $150 out the door.
There selection isn't great right now.
$99 DA 22

I also have a couple Heritage Rough Riders and for $99 new they are decent little shooters. SA only but for a plinker or tackle box gun its just fine with me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Andyd:
The High Standard was copied by Weihrauch and made in Germany as the Arminius line of revolvers. The .22s are pretty solid and the HW9 is known for its accuracy.

View Quote
Huh - my Dad bought some Arminius revolvers a few years ago. I always thought they were Rohm quality. I learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#17]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
High Standard Sentinel/JC Higgins 88 (Sears house brand). Alloy frames, pretty well built, and largely C&R qualified (if that matters to you.) My understanding is that they fit in a J-frame (?) holster like it was made for it.
View Quote

I will give a word of warning about aluminum or zinc frame firearms in a tackle box. The ‘right’ combination of moisture and offgassing of soft baits like rubber worms or jigs will virtually dissolve those alloys in a month or two in a closed tackle box. Destroyed a good High Standard Double 9 that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gulftanker] [#18]
Rohm RG10

The pure definition of a crappy .22
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#19]
HeHeritags has a long line of nice, but cheap .22 LR/WMR revolvers.  My Barkeep was around $175 with both ctylinders.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Heritage or a Ruger Wrangler are about the cheapest you're going to find new these days with the price nod going to Heritage when you find them on sale (I know Academy occasionally has them on sale for around $120 and you can shoot .22LR or .22WMR; PSA has some of the bird's head Wranglers on sale right now for like $180).  They're both single action though and as noted, not the best for actually leaving in a tackle box.  Watching some reviews, surprisingly, the Heritage seems to be more accurate.  I wouldn't expect either to stand up to a high round count.  You really don't see the cheap .22 revolvers like you used to, I imagine a lot of them have been turned in during buybacks or just broken and they're not worth repairing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
View Quote

They're in between J and K Frames in size. I have a 3" Sentinel R-101. I bought it a few years ago off Gunbroker, hardly used. It had a square butt when I got it but I replaced the grip. It shoots high with most loads but POI = POA with CCI Stingers, so that's what I feed it.

Attachment Attached File

It fits a K-Frame holster pretty well. This is a canvas version of the WW2 Tanker holster by World War Supply.

Attachment Attached File

It's been extremely reliable. The hammer really hits the rim of the cartridge so light strikes are no problem. The cylinder holds 9 rounds. SA pull is good but the DA pull is heavy, but getting better.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Muricha:
Plenty of quality H&R revolvers on Gunbroker.

IMO, better quality than allot of 'new' guns.

If you've never shot a SPORTSMAN, your missing out.
View Quote

One thing to watch for in H&R revolvers made in the late 1960s/early 1970s are hammer struts with a plastic end. If you get one of these replace it immediately with one that has a steel end, available from Numrich. I have an H&R 733 (nickeled in .32 S&W Long but the same basic design was made in .22LR). The plastic H&R used was not a modern polymer and deteriorates with age, and will crumble if you look at it wrong. This happened to me and a friend who has a 732 (blued, .32 Long).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Heritage revolvers are going to be the least expensive that you'll find.
$225 or so + tax & transfer.

Not crappy, but meets your "cheap" criteria.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:

I will give a word of warning about aluminum or zinc frame firearms in a tackle box. The ‘right’ combination of moisture and offgassing of soft baits like rubber worms or jigs will virtually dissolve those alloys in a month or two in a closed tackle box. Destroyed a good High Standard Double 9 that way.
View Quote

Interesting
I've never heard of that
Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Several mentions of the Ruger wranglers. Those are cheap as can be.  If that is too much the heritage 22lrs go on sale for close to or less than 100 bucks.  Cant get too much cheaper than either of those.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Honestly, look up lot-oriented auctions (not Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc...the old school local yokel auctions with crappy descriptions and pictures). If you know what you're looking for, you can get a Rohm, Arminus, Rossi, H&R, etc for next to nothing. You might end up paying more for the premium, shipping, tax, and transfer than the gun itself.

Just today, I followed an auction for a good condition Charter Arms .44 Special snubnose that went for $165. I wasn't a bidder, but that should give you an idea. And yes, after all those additional charges you're probably out $300, but not a bad deal really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top