Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2024 8:01:50 AM EDT
Any recommendations on where I should send a 1911 for a great trigger job? The garrison I have has gritty trigger and just feels bad. Maybe I am spoiled with a shadow 2 but I’d imagine the 1911 trigger could be way better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
YMMV, but my first step would be to send it back to Springfield and ask them to have a look.   They did me right when I sent them a Loaded that had a mushy trigger and loose slide.  Tightened up the slide and tuned the trigger - no charge.

If you still don't like it after that, then start looking for a 'smith.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nighthawk Custom,
Bob Reeves is great to work with.
Fair prices and turnaround times
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
Nighthawk Custom,
View Quote
This unless the SACS is back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently used one of the cylinder and slide kits for a Colt Gold Cup that had an embarrassingly bad trigger.

Kit dropped right in with no fitting and passed all the safety checks. Have run about 200 rounds through it so far without issue.

I went with the match trigger option. Zero creep, nice crisp break. A smith may have slightly improved on the final result but it was a fun project and I didn't have to ship the pistol, which was a plus.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Nighthawk Custom,
View Quote

Does anyone know more or less how much nighthawk custom charges for a trigger job?

I don’t think the trigger is bad enough to call up Springfield. It works fine but it’s not a trigger I would consider to be awesome. It’s ok. Like I said, the shadow 2 has spoiled me. That trigger is like greased snot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the trigger heavy, crunchy or both?

There are a lot of videos on how to clean up a bad 1911 trigger. It's not hard, even if you screw it up, parts are cheap and readily available.

Or just buy a drop in hammer sear combination already tuned.

Or find a local gunsmith, save the shipping costs.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Alex Hamilton at TenRing Precision
Ken Bee is also awesome
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I put a Cylinder and Slide kit in my 1911.  No gunsmith needed and the trigger pull is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've bought several of the Brazos drop-in trigger kits. A little spendy but definitely worth it.

HERE
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Harrison Custom True Radius FCG  no need to go to a gunsmith and you get tool steel parts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rigger7:
Harrison Custom True Radius FCG  no need to go to a gunsmith and you get tool steel parts.
View Quote

I was just going to ask if anyone has used Harrison's matched hammer/sear/disco.  I used C&S in my last build-up, and I'm considering Harrison's HD-120B ignition set for my next one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Drop  this in, and learn how to adjust the sear spring.

Much easier than waiting on Gunsmiths and FEDEX idiots

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005647356?pid=165545

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#13]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

Drop  this in, and learn how to adjust the sear spring.

Much easier than waiting on Gunsmiths and FEDEX idiots

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005647356?pid=165545

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/Primary/165/165545.jpg?imwidth=680

https://i.imgur.com/1UBBLTT.jpg
View Quote
This.

If you also get the Colt sear spring it probably will not need adjusting.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as the drop in hammer and sear go... Some fitting may be required.

I just replaced my SA mim hammer and sear with an Ed Brown machined set. The thumb safety needed to be refit to work properly.

It's not difficult, a dozen strokes with a file then clean up with a stone. Of course you need to do it a couple strokes at a time, try and repeat until it fit and works properly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Are the drop in pieces as good as sending it to a gunsmith? I don’t mind doing some work myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Are the drop in pieces as good as sending it to a gunsmith? I don’t mind doing some work myself.
View Quote

If you want a nice trigger, yes.

The Ed Brown trigger and sear I installed is 3# 6 ounces. A slight take-up, zero creap and crisp break. Total from Optics planet was $68, free shipping.
The hammer/sear will only smooth out the trigger, you may get some weight relief from the smoothness, but spring tension will be something else to address.

While you're at it, throw in a trigger with an over travel screw.

Honestly, honing your stock hammer/sear will help a lot in smoothing out the trigger pull. If you're still not happy, buy a drop in set.

What brand of 1911?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I say do it yourself with a file. You can buy some stones that hold the angle of the sear right.

I did it with a hammer change on mine. I had a colt commander hammer dropped in with a kimber lanyard mainspring housing. It caused my trigger to pull about 8-9 pounds at first but after doing some filing and spring tuning, I got it down to a nice 5-5.5 pounds consistently. You just need to go slow and take your time and check, even after doing just a little.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Nighthawk Custom,
View Quote

They did a FANTASTIC Trigger job on my Springfield Aficionado.

HIGHLY Recommend!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Any recommendations on where I should send a 1911 for a great trigger job? The garrison I have has gritty trigger and just feels bad. Maybe I am spoiled with a shadow 2 but I’d imagine the 1911 trigger could be way better.
View Quote

My first recommendation would be to detail strip and use fine sand paper to polish all the contact points on your trigger
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s Springfield Garrison. It’s definitely a heavier pull, not sure on the weight exactly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#21]
It’s Springfield Garrison. It’s definitely a heavier pull, not sure on the weight exactly.
View Quote

Does it have SA mainspring housing lock?

I replaced mine and the trigger pull went down a couple pounds. This one is aluminum for my RO Champion.
Mainspring
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#22]
Interesting. Does the lock itself cause a heavier trigger pull? Sorry, I’m new to 1911s
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting. Does the lock itself cause a heavier trigger pull? Sorry, I’m new to 1911s
View Quote

I don't think the lock itself does, but it is proprietary design, so you can't swap out mainsprings for something lighter if you want.

... and I don't like the idea of the lock.

If the gun is new, shoot it a bunch first, it may smooth itself out.

There are many here who are much more qualified than I to ask. I'm just a dub with a screwdriver and a dremel.

Try the gunsmithing sub-forum in the Armory forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top