Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2024 5:00:12 PM EDT
I recently realized that I'm in dire need of a compact Glock .45 and I'm trying to decide between the 3 models listed in the title. It will be used for CC and possibly home defense.

Anyone have some words of wisdom on which particular version would be best for these applications?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 36.  easier to carry $.02  sorry
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a G30 g3 lower with a G36 upper. Never had any issues with many types of ammo.
The G36 slide is minimally thinner.

If memory serves this is a home made G30s but I was doing it before the ‘s’ was offered.

I have long alien hands and fingers so the old G30 even runs with a houge grip so I wouldn’t benefit from the ‘sf’.

I also have a threaded barrel and thread protector on the 30 slide for when I want to use a suppressor.

Honestly, there isn’t much difference either way. Handgun hero will illustrate the difference.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thicker slide models are easier to shoot but the 30S is still very shootable.  30S carries better.  30 gen 5 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Thicker slide models are easier to shoot but the 30S is still very shootable.  30S carries better.  30 gen 5 is my favorite.
View Quote

I’m looking for an excuse for a G5, any nuance you can add?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Muricha:

I’m looking for an excuse for a G5, any nuance you can add?
View Quote

I hate finger bumps on anything but full size Glocks.

Didn’t care about the forward serrations or Ambi slide stop.

With 3 mags I got it for basically blue label price from locked and loaded as none of the LE dealers had em.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
G30 SF and G30S have the same frame and are both only Gen 3.
The S just has a smaller slide from the G36.
I personally think the 30S just looks awkward and doesn’t really save enough width to make a big difference due to the frame still being the same size.  

G30 Gen 4 and 5 have the same size frame and are not the old larger fat grip frames but you can make them bigger with the grip panels.  

If I were in the market today for a G30, I would be between the Gen 4 and Gen 5 depending on if I wanted finger groves or not.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By trvln:
I like the 36.  easier to carry $.02  sorry
View Quote

The 36 is my least favored Glock.

OP, I'd ask yourself why you're wanting a compact 45ACP.  Glock's bread-and-butter is their 9mm guns.  If you're looking at a compact 45ACP then maybe consider crossing over to the dark side ... HK45 Compact.

I've used HK USP variants and derivatives for 30 years now and HK truly offers something special in their 45ACP guns.

9mm .. rock out with your Glock out.
40SW .. HK, M&P, Glock 23 (not 22 or 27)
45ACP .. because you suck and we hate you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
For balanced reference ... I have also carried and used Glocks for 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

The 36 is my least favored Glock.

OP, I'd ask yourself why you're wanting a compact 45ACP.  Glock's bread-and-butter is their 9mm guns.  If you're looking at a compact 45ACP then maybe consider crossing over to the dark side ... HK45 Compact.

I've used HK USP variants and derivatives for 30 years now and HK truly offers something special in their 45ACP guns.

9mm .. rock out with your Glock out.
40SW .. HK, M&P, Glock 23 (not 22 or 27)
45ACP .. because you suck and we hate you.
View Quote
Maybe I'm just cheap but sticking with Glocks has advantages. I have a large frame IWB holster that will hold all of my Glocks and some Safariland holsters that can accommodate two or three pistols each. Add to that a growing pile of compatible magazines for multiple guns, and most importantly large or small there's years of muscle memory no matter which one I pick up because they're basically the same gun. To be honest I sold my USP because the replacement magazines were over $50 a piece.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
Maybe I'm just cheap but sticking with Glocks has advantages. I have a large frame IWB holster that will hold all of my Glocks and some Safariland holsters that can accommodate two or three pistols each. Add to that a growing pile of compatible magazines for multiple guns, and most importantly large or small there's years of muscle memory no matter which one I pick up because they're basically the same gun. To be honest I sold my USP because the replacement magazines were over $50 a piece.
View Quote

Cost is a fair argument, but a HK45C is available online dealer new for under $650 routinely.  If you hunt you can find a LE model with night sights and three mags for $699.  

I totally get the compatibility argument.  That's why I own a Glock 23 (even though it is actually not compatible because its a Gen 5 and in Glock's awesomeness they made the slide 0.08" wider than Gen 1-4 rendering all holsters too tight ..........way to go Glock ........ give us an update nobody wants but absolutely refuse to put a light rail on your sub-compact G26/27 which everyone wants.  You're working hard at unseating HK's "because you suck and we hate you" as king of F the consumer).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the 30S slide on my 30S. Not sure if I could get it with a gen 4 or 5 frame but that would be ideal. Otherwise 30S regardless of frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top