Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2023 11:26:07 PM EDT
What's the good, bad, and ugly?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Vy limited use thus far, but I like it.

Sits very low; no suppressor height sights.

The fit in the mos footprint was pretty precise.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely love mine.  Much prefer it over the RMR, Doctor, Deltapoint, etc.  However due to how low it is I would not recommend it for a gun running a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Bright.  Too bright.  I run it turned down and dot only.   I wish they were available in red.   I like it a lot otherwise.  A larger window option would be welcome.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Haven't seen much on them. Purchased an M&P 2.0 Metal and was about to order an EPS and plate. Then realized the Metal comes with standard height sights, not optic height like every other optic ready M&P. So I decided to try an SCS so I didn't have to fool with changing the sights which can sometimes be a challenge on an M&P.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]

Great RDS.  I love the low profile.  The switch is tiny and difficult to operate with my ten thumbs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Holosun_SCS_JPG-2845175.jpg

Great RDS.  I love the low profile.  The switch is tiny and difficult to operate with my ten thumbs.
View Quote

Can you turn it off with the switch or is that just for changing the reticle?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#7]
I've had it about 2 months now, about 1k rds and I'm really liking it

Originally Posted By twpayne75:

Can you turn it off with the switch or is that just for changing the reticle?
View Quote

Press and hold and it will shut off

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tspike:
I've had it about 2 months now, about 1k rds and I'm really liking it

Press and hold and it will shut off

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4164/IMG_1718_jpg-2845353.JPG
View Quote

Awesome. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I like mine… the inability to turn down the brightness is my only drawback but not a huge deal

Overall I’d buy it again.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
I like mine… the inability to turn down the brightness is my only drawback but not a huge deal

View Quote

I'm really curious to see how that works. Especially with a weaponlight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:

View Quote

If you click the button once, it will turn down the brightness. Not sure how long it lasts on the lower setting, but at least through a 45 min indoor shooting session for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I was pretty much "fuck Chy-na" until I tried one.

American innovation needs to catch the hell up, or get left behind- but American companies seem to only give a shit about MIL contracts so they get what they deserve.

I now have one on my carry gun and love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#13]

OK. So it came in, got it mounted and torqued down. Will be next week before I can shoot it. My initial reaction is mixed.

Pros: reticle looks good. This is by far the best red dot I've used as far as getting on target quickly. I can only assume it's because it sits so low. Whenever I pick it up, the reticle is just there. Looks good in my opinion also.

Cons: I have more playing to do, but so far I'm not real impressed with the auto brightness when using a weaponlight.

I go into a completely dark room. Reticle brightness is perfect.

I flip on a light, reticle brightness is perfect.

Light off, reticle dim, perfect. Activate weaponlight (TLR7A), no discernible difference in reticle brightness and I can barely see the reticle. Turn on overhead light, reticle bright again.

Basically it's acting like an RMR on auto brightness. Which is fine, but why I use manual mode on RMR's. No such option here.

I can see the reticle, but just barely. Way easier at that point to transition to irons. And this is with a TLR7A, anything else I have I belive will wash out completely. I'll test that theory later.

I don't know if it's possible that all the light receptors aren't working or working properly. Supposedly these are supposed to account for weaponlight use or pointing toward a light. This one isn't. I pointed it toward a streetlight while standing in the dark, no change in reticle brightness.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with your observations 100%. I tried to find something I didn't like about it, but the more I shot with it, the more I like it.
Let us know your thoughts after you get some range time with it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Glock 45 just laying around that I want to get an SCS for, but I haven't been able to find on in red.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#16]
Originally Posted By tspike:

If you click the button once, it will turn down the brightness. Not sure how long it lasts on the lower setting, but at least through a 45 min indoor shooting session for me.
View Quote

I hit the button like you said and it actually got really bright and usable with a weaponlight.

Edit: went to Holosuns site and it states hitting the button once puts it in high brightness mode for 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:
I've got a Glock 45 just laying around that I want to get an SCS for, but I haven't been able to find on in red.
View Quote

It's odd they are only making them in green. Generally everything starts out red and green is eventually released. Glad it went like it did, I much prefer green.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]

It's odd they are only making them in green. Generally everything starts out red and green is eventually released. Glad it went like it did, I much prefer green.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:

I've tried to like green dots, but the Holosun I've got just didn't do it for me. On sunny days using white backers the dot would wash out despite being cranked up as high as it would go. Red just works better for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Holosun wasn't able to get acceptable battery life from the red version due to tech limitations, so it was scrapped.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#20]
Too bright, I wish there was a way to turn it down. unless I’m using the light the dot blooms. Otherwise it’s great.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The issues with adjusting the dot brightness under different conditions is why I went with the Holosun EPS Carry MRS in Green.

It sits almost as low as the SCS, but in "Auto" brightness mode, you can still adjust the "minimum brightness level".  So you can set it to be bright enough indoors with a weapon light, and when you go outside into bright light, it will automatically brighten to an acceptable level.

BTW, only the Green EPS Carry MRS does this.  The Red version isn't energy efficient enough to allow this level of control (per Holosun).
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twpayne75] [#22]
It was always my understanding that the red emitters were more efficient than the green. Guess I was wrong.

I haven't noticed the reticle being overly bright. Of course I'm also used to an RMR where I keep it on manual two clicks below max. I'd rather have it too bright than too dim.

I was about to order a green EPS when I realized the sights on my 2.0 Metal were standard height and not suppressor height like every other optic ready 2.0. Gave me an excuse to try the SCS. I may still try an EPS later.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#23]
It was always my understanding that the red emitters were more efficient than the green. Guess I was wrong.

I haven't noticed the reticle being overly bright. Of course I'm also used to an RMR where I keep it on manual two clicks below max. I'd rather have it too bright than too dim.

I was about to order a green EPS when I realized the sights on my 2.0 Metal were standard height and not suppressor height like every other optic ready 2.0. Gave me an excuse to try the SCS. I may still try an EPS later.
View Quote

Its my understanding you don’t need supressor height sights with the eps either.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I very much like them on my PDPs.  Auto brightness actually seems to work pretty good, it's just a tap to get it to go to full brightness for awhile, and I really appreciate not having to run tall sights, especially on the 4" Compact I often AIWB.

Will for sure be picking up at least one of the SCS-320 models (they should be in warehouses this coming week according to Holosun) because DPP/R1P footprint and enclosed is a winning combo for some of my blasters, I've got a P226 and a couple P320s that could use that.

I'm not a huge fan of green dots either, but can live with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Its my understanding you don’t need supressor height sights with the eps either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Depends on the handgun, and depends if it's the Carry or regular sized one. The full size is about the same deck height as a 507C, so if you need taller sights for the 507, you'll need it for the full size EPS, especially if you have to use the RMR/EPS adaptor plate that Holosun provides.
The full size EPS also doesn't have that little vestigial rear sight notch like the EPS Carry has.

Here's one mounted on one of my P320s, and that's basically a direct mount with just wafer-thin fore/aft filler plate since Delta Point Pro holes are the same spacing as RMS-c/507k/EPS footprint.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Just put one on a g35 mos. Love the fit and size. Kind of hard to hit the button. No other complaints
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cb69:
Just put one on a g35 mos. Love the fit and size. Kind of hard to hit the button. No other complaints
View Quote

Lol. That button is impossible to hit. I had plans of leaving mine off when I wasn't using it. Until I saw what a chore it is to turn it back on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I like mine so much that I just had my 19x milled to MOS pattern to take one  I've had one since they came out (serial number is just over 1000 for reference) and it's been solid no matter what I put it through.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#29]
My thread was started after yours but has some info at the bottom

TL:DR version is it was zeroed to irons on a gun I hadn't shot up until then, dot was hitting steel plates 3" at 25 yards so I was impressed. Very low bore and the optic just worked. I wish the screw either hadn't bottomed out or broke from weak casting but I'm having it drilled out and Battlewerx screws installed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Holosun-SCS-Enclosed-MOS/58-209856/
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74212/IMG20220629182352_copy_2000x1504-2838120.jpg

Bright.  Too bright.  I run it turned down and dot only.   I wish they were available in red.   I like it a lot otherwise.  A larger window option would be welcome.
View Quote

@chevrofreak

Does the Sico pistol take the Glock version?
I have a Maxim and would buy one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:

@chevrofreak

Does the Sico pistol take the Glock version?
I have a Maxim and would buy one.
View Quote

It does, and the irons cowitness.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Random thing I realized last night, I don't think my SCS turns off 100%.  It'll be at like 99% off, but you can still see the reticle faintly in a very dark room and some emitter glow.  Doesn't bug me any, just a little odd.  Might be because it uses capacitors instead of batteries.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:

It does, and the irons cowitness.
View Quote

Thanks, just cost me another $350.

I already bought the SCS for Walther PDP then realized it only fits 2022-up.
I can get mine altered for $100 but was bummed I couldn't just bolt it on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#34]
I've been using mine for work for a few months now. I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. I haven't had an issue with not being able to see the dot in a variety of conditions. It's not always the "perfect" brightness but has never been too dim or too bright where I can't use it.

I've also used it quite a bit under night vision. It blooms but is still very usable. Your experience may vary depending on tube sensitivity.

Edit: For a first time pistol optic user, the smaller window might be a little more challenging to learn but once you get the muscle memory down I don't think there's a difference between this and other pistol optics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The SCS 320 is sweet. Probably my new favorite Holosun optic tbh. I have it on the Echelon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
I like mine so much that I just had my 19x milled to MOS pattern to take one  I've had one since they came out (serial number is just over 1000 for reference) and it's been solid no matter what I put it through.

https://i.imgur.com/bGu8GcN.jpg
View Quote

@northpolar who milled your 19x? I’m contemplating milling for a scs. I have a rmr for it but man does it not look sweet on there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#37]

@northpolar who milled your 19x? I’m contemplating milling for a scs. I have a rmr for it but man does it not look sweet on there.
View Quote

Battlewerx. You have to do a rear sight move if you want it to be MOS cut with irons. I had to flip my rear sight around to have clearance for the optic, but it still cowitnesses with the sights just fine.

Plus I can run any MOS plate later on to fit other optics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]
absolutely fantastic on my 19. rarely gets sun but still fully bright
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRedcoat] [#39]
I have had one on my VP9 for about 9 months.

I use it in USPSA and have about 2000 rounds through it.

My only issue is the button that adjust brightness and reticle barely works any more. You have to really jam it to get it to work.

No way it'll last another 1000 rounds.

I give this optic a 2500-3000 round life.

Otherwise it's good enough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]
At my agency we issue the G45 with SCS. So far it's been great. The auto brightness being too bright, as many people say, is really not an issue in a defensive roll. If you are going for long range pinpoint target shooting, yes you want your dot as dim as possible while still being visible, but in a defensive situation with the large majority of engagements being under 10yds, I'd rather know that my dot is going to be there and not worry that it will be too dim for the lighting. The green dot is great and I have yet to be any situation where I'm able to wash it out without trying to purposely. We've got 30 of them rolled out right now and everyone has nothing but good things to say about them. As the head instructor, I've probably got more rounds through mine than half my people combined,and she's been rock solid.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#41]
No issues with around 500 rounds on two of them.

I’ll admit I prefer the 509T on a milled slide but for MOS the SCS is a simple and effective plug and play.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#42]
The one I used was pretty nice I am not a huge fan of green dots but my buddy is and he likes it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
My thread was started after yours but has some info at the bottom

TL:DR version is it was zeroed to irons on a gun I hadn't shot up until then, dot was hitting steel plates 3" at 25 yards so I was impressed. Very low bore and the optic just worked. I wish the screw either hadn't bottomed out or broke from weak casting but I'm having it drilled out and Battlewerx screws installed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Holosun-SCS-Enclosed-MOS/58-209856/
View Quote

Pretty happy with it
It lives in safe most of time except for few outings
Battery/capacitor holds charge for months of non-use and still bright
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joglee] [#44]

Lol. That button is impossible to hit. I had plans of leaving mine off when I wasn't using it. Until I saw what a chore it is to turn it back on.
View Quote

Why would you turn it off? In a safe the battery will last hundreds of years and during use it’s being charged.

I have a few thousand rounds and lots of daily duty carry and the optic has been amazing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trio] [#45]
I’ve got one that I gave to my son for his 21st birthday.  He loves it.  No downside I can see other than the obvious Chineseum complaint.  Holosun makes solid innovative optics.  I just wish they were an American company

I have a 26 I had milled before the 26 MOS came out.  I think it is the perfect optic for the 26 MOS
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#46]
What is the sight picture of the SCS on a Glock with a suppressor? Does the dot clear the suppressor?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By HUCK70:
What is the sight picture of the SCS on a Glock with a suppressor? Does the dot clear the suppressor?
View Quote

It cowitnesses with the factory height irons, so unless you’re running something low profile that your factory sights can see over like an osprey, your view will be obstructed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks, that is what I was assuming.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By droys86:
At my agency we issue the G45 with SCS. So far it's been great. The auto brightness being too bright, as many people say, is really not an issue in a defensive roll. If you are going for long range pinpoint target shooting, yes you want your dot as dim as possible while still being visible, but in a defensive situation with the large majority of engagements being under 10yds, I'd rather know that my dot is going to be there and not worry that it will be too dim for the lighting. The green dot is great and I have yet to be any situation where I'm able to wash it out without trying to purposely. We've got 30 of them rolled out right now and everyone has nothing but good things to say about them. As the head instructor, I've probably got more rounds through mine than half my people combined,and she's been rock solid.

https://i.imgur.com/HqdLqHt.jpeg
View Quote

I just lucked into a G45 MOS (just wanted a regular frame to use eithy Dagger slides).  I was planning on selling the complete slide, but the SCS intrigues me.  I never thought I'd like such a small optic on a large gun (especially as a first time optic user), but I'm thinking about it now since someone thought it was a good enough combination for duty use.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:

For a first time pistol optic user, the smaller window might be a little more challenging to learn but once you get the muscle memory down I don't think there's a difference between this and other pistol optics.
View Quote

That's my concern as well.  But $250 used/$300 new, might be worth the gamble.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top