Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2024 9:15:16 PM EDT
I was watching this Forgotten Weapons video on a historical example of a S&W 5906 derivative Performance Center gun:

Ultra-Premium S&W Performance Center Model 3566

During the disassembly process at about the 8:00 mark he highlights the spherical barrel bushing system. Both mechanically and visually it’s certainly an interesting and cool system, but it got me thinking: why do some pistols use barrel bushings and other don’t need them? For example:

- While that Performance Center pistol is certainly cool, the standard production DA/SA S&W autos also used a specific barrel bushing piece.

- Sig P226, Wonder Nine competitor to the S&W autos, doesn’t use a bushing.

- CZ 75? Bushing. Want to make your 75 more accurate? Get a CZ Custom AccuBushing so you can have even MORE bushing!

- Sig P210, often thought to be one of the most accurate 9mm pistols ever produced - no bushing.

- Every modern striker-fired duty pistol including the Gen 1 Glock 17, no bushing.

- And then of course there’s the 1911, which absolutely must have a barrel bushing, unless your barrel is too fat to fit in a bushing in which case

So what’s the deal? Are bushings important or not?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:23:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bumblebee_Bob] [#1]
JMB designed the 1911 with a bushing.  But not the High Power.

Later people added bull barrels to 1911s and skipped the bushing.

It would be interesting to know the history/ engineering behind it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
JMB designed the 1911 with a bushing.  But not the High Power.

Later people added bull barrels to 1911s and skipped the bushing.

It would be interesting to know the history/ engineering behind it.
View Quote

That is precisely my point and question
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi-power has barrel bushing. It is threaded and attached to the slide. Early S&W 39/59 had removable barrel bushing. 3rd gen whent with the similar design like BHP has permanent attached bushing to the slide.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were to guess it was a mechanism of guns being built by hand utilizing gunsmith fitting to increase accuracy

Modern machining allows for tighter tolerances and consistent production at much lower cost

The bushings are also an added failure point but definitely a trade off.

Interesting how things have evolved in a little over 100 years
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are S&W, Kel-Tec, and Ruger Security barrels belled at the end?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I clicked on OP thread expecting a modified Python with barrel bushing. Why? Because it's OP.

So much disappointment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
If I were to guess it was a mechanism of guns being built by hand utilizing gunsmith fitting to increase accuracy

Modern machining allows for tighter tolerances and consistent production at much lower cost

The bushings are also an added failure point but definitely a trade off.

Interesting how things have evolved in a little over 100 years
View Quote

I would think the above in bold is most important considering a gun design that's 100+ years old (1911). By fitting just one part correctly (the bushing) you can get a barrel with +/- specs to fit a slide with +/- specs. With machining and advances in metal work since then, I would suspect it's not needed. That's why you can basically drop any glock 17 barrel and drop it into any glock 17, or 19, or 26, etc but you can't do that with most 1911s. Also part of the reason 1911s are more mechanically accurate.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the early 1911 slides were very soft, not heat treated.  Bushings enabled replacing a small part which might suffer from wear instead of a large, expensive part.  Also easier to manufacture in the first place.
My RIA MS has a bull barrel and no bushing.  Requires a paper clip to disassemble, but aside from that no problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Accuracy is a good point but then why is the P210 considered such an accurate pistol without using a bushing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Because it's Swiss.  High standards to begin with, with no demands of wartime production.

Is forgotten about 1911s (the originals) having softer slides.  

So design a wear part that can be easily replaced, easier to heat treat (and cheaper).

When 1911A1s got heat treated slides it was just easier to keep making the gun as designed rather than redesign and retool.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Fair points. So why did S&W decide to use a bushing in the 50s when they were designing the first gen DA/SA autos?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the bushing is necessary for the 1911 because the barrel is assembled through the front of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
CZ 75s have barrel bushings, too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
CZ 75s have barrel bushings, too.
View Quote

Same rules as the 1911 though - fat enough barrel, no bushing needed
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EncoreGolf:
Why are S&W, Kel-Tec, and Ruger Security barrels belled at the end?
View Quote

Anyone???
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EncoreGolf:

Anyone???
View Quote

Isn't that just for tighter lockup?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#17]
Lug versus ejection port lock up.

Lugs are inferior in design and require forward support to maintain accuracy. In the case of the 5906, they use a hooded barrel. It basically looked like a crack pipe and they were notorious for wearing out at the hood before the barrel was shot out.

Where as ejection port locking has much more support around the chamber of the barrel, making muzzle lock up mostly unnecessary. For supreme accuracy some pistols will still utilize muzzle lock up too.

Bull barrels are more expensive to make and especially back in those days, much harder to make consistently. Fitting a bushing to a barrel is much easier and cheaper.

5906 barrel.
Attachment Attached File

CZ75 barrel.

1911 barrel.

P226 barrel. (You can see how the barrel ends up tilting into the ejection port to be fully supported versus partial lug locking on the examples above.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Lug versus ejection port lock up.

Lugs are inferior in design and require forward support to maintain accuracy. In the case of the 5906, they use a hooded barrel. It basically looked like a crack pipe and they were notorious for wearing out at the hood before the barrel was shot out.

Where as ejection port locking has much more support around the chamber of the barrel, making muzzle lock up mostly unnecessary. For supreme accuracy some pistols will still utilize muzzle lock up too.

Bull barrels are more expensive to make and especially back in those days, much harder to make consistently. Fitting a bushing to a barrel is much easier and cheaper.

5906 barrel.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3426_jpeg-3209302.JPG

CZ75 barrel.
https://i.ibb.co/wSF2VvM/IMG-3427.jpg

1911 barrel.
https://i.ibb.co/J2VsWSm/IMG-3428.jpg

P226 barrel. (You can see how the barrel ends up tilting into the ejection port to be fully supported versus partial lug locking on the examples above.)
https://i.ibb.co/bdctN3X/IMG-3429.webp
View Quote

You sir are a true gentleman and scholar. Excellent information, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#19]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

View Quote

Bonus round: Charles Petter was the first to try it at the inspiration of JMB. His pistol and later the P210 indexed off the ejection port but still used lugs.

In the early 70’s Sig was desperately trying to reduce costs for the Swiss military P210 replacement contract. This resulted in stamped and welded slides, mostly stamped internal parts, and the elimination of lug machining for the slide and barrel in the form of ejection port locking. The gun that evolved into what we know as the P226.

It’s officially called the Sig Sauer system, and it was probably the last game changing advancement to pistol operation design in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Bonus round: Charles Petter was the first to try it at the inspiration of JMB. His pistol and later the P210 indexed off the ejection port but still used lugs.

In the early 70’s Sig was desperately trying to reduce costs for the Swiss military P210 replacement contract. This resulted in stamped and welded slides, mostly stamped internal parts, and the elimination of lug machining for the slide and barrel in the form of ejection port locking. The gun that evolved into what we know as the P226.

It’s officially called the Sig Sauer system, and it was probably the last game changing advancement to pistol operation design in my opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What’s an example of a pistol(s) that uses ejection port locking and muzzle support for extra accuracies?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]

What’s an example of a pistol(s) that uses ejection port locking and muzzle support for extra accuracies?
View Quote

HK USP Tactical, Elite, and Expert use an o-ring to increase lock up consistency. The Grand Power pistols use a lug, partial ejection port indexing, and bull barrels on the higher end editions. Gray Guns offers fit bull barrels for the 320 (have to send the entire gun in for fitting).

You’ll also see some custom Glocks and 320’s that have a cut on the top of the slide where the front sight would be, and they leave a tang at the top of the barrel for additional lock up and an integrated front sight. This is probably the best way and I think it will become much more common. Would grab pictures but can’t remember who all is doing it now.

ETA: This isn’t quite it since it’s a compensator but same concept. Just imagine it was just a slot cut at the top of the slide with a raised portion left on the barrel to fit it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve seen the Trinity Glock and P320 slides. Very nice but very ‘spensive
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

View Quote

What in the Kentucky fried Christ is that thing?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#24]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

What in the Kentucky fried Christ is that thing?
View Quote

I think it's the Trinity Nevada Pirho

Attachment Attached File

Trinity Nevada Pirho Complete Slide

Or similar.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#25]
I’ve seen the Trinity Glock and P320 slides. Very nice but very ‘spensive
View Quote

There’s other places doing it. Had more time and they’re called hybrid barrels.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I think if they used a taper system with slack allowance it wouldn’t be crazy expensive for this to become a regular high production thing. Think similar to the Geissele rotation tab system but slimmer and longer. It would be a terrible idea for any defensive or combat pistol though, just as slide windows are.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]

There’s other places doing it. Had more time and they’re called hybrid barrels.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3437_jpeg-3210680.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3438_jpeg-3210681.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3439_jpeg-3210682.JPG

I think if they used a taper system with slack allowance it wouldn’t be crazy expensive for this to become a regular high production thing. Think similar to the Geissele rotation tab system but slimmer and longer. It would be a terrible idea for any defensive or combat pistol though, just as slide windows are.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3440_jpeg-3210686.JPG
View Quote

I've seen them called sight tracker or island barrels, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top