Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2024 6:30:42 PM EDT
I got the kit for my mountain gun. Even after stoning the internals it was still a bit heavy. I'm going to shoot tomorrow.  Hopefully I don't get any ftf with the new mainspring because it's pretty nice now.

I put the 14lbs return spring in as well. I already put in an extended firing pin because of some ftf earlier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My 624 and my 625-8 JM both have Wilson spring kits.  The 624 has had some trigger work by Smith and with the spring kit it’s smooth like butter.  I have zero problems setting off primers.  I put the 625 kit in last week and haven’t taken it to the range yet.  Trigger is MUCH better.  Ive stuck with the 14 lb return spring on both.

I’ve put 14lb Wolff trigger return springs in a couple of J frames to great effect as well.  Didn’t want to mess with the hammer spring on those for reliability concerns.

I think you’ll be happy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Wilson spring kit (with the 14lb rebound spring) along with an Apex Evo bobbed hammer, extended firing pin, and power custom trigger in my 686. I also polished all of the contact points. Trigger pull is extremely smooth with minimal stacking...no failures with a variety of different brands of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Worked good except one light primer strike. Even after repeated single and double action tries.

I wasn't happy the last few months with my DA shooting. I definitely feel better now and am looking forward to this year's competitions with it.

DA at 25 yards
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Worked good except one light primer strike. Even after repeated single and double action tries.

I wasn't happy the last few months with my DA shooting. I definitely feel better now and am looking forward to this year's competitions with it.

DA at 25 yards
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000414_jpg-3136689.JPG
View Quote

Just give the spring a little bend in the positive direction and I bet youll be good
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By chase45:

Just give the spring a little bend in the positive direction and I bet youll be good
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

DA at 25 yards
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000414_jpg-3136689.JPG

I think that one guy was a primer issue. It wasn't going off SA and looked like it was struck hard
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Ugh, had a few more light strikes. Back to the oem spring for now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Strain screw is tight - correct?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Did you leave the rebound spring?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando] [#9]
I have been told by the local revolver gunsmith who services most of the local ICORE shooters that the Wilson mainspring is too light unless using Federal primers. I personally had one failure in 100 with CCI. That is, until a particularly bad batch of reloads, where my failure rate went to 50%, and the stock spring made no difference. Still need to finish pulling those bullets.

ETA: I tried to go below 13 pounds on the rebound spring, but that didn't work. From what I was told, you need an order of magnitude better polish in your action to achieve a light trigger pull with an 11 pound rebound spring that doesn't stick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This is the perfect chance to manipulate the wilson spring and play around with bending it. Add some tension and set it aside for next range day

Those usually have a dramatic bend at the top of the spring vs oem
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I have been told by the local revolver gunsmith who services most of the local ICORE shooters that the Wilson mainspring is too light unless using Federal primers. I personally had one failure in 100 with CCI. That is, until a particularly bad batch of reloads, where my failure rate went to 50%, and the stock spring made no difference. Still need to finish pulling those bullets.

ETA: I tried to go below 13 pounds on the rebound spring, but that didn't work. From what I was told, you need an order of magnitude better polish in your action to achieve a light trigger pull with an 11 pound rebound spring that doesn't stick.
View Quote

I was "perfect" on my previous outing with my 625 but last night I had two out of 50 not light.  Mixed brass with Winchester LPP.  The primer indent was shallow on the two and even hitting them again single action didn't light them.  I've got a power custom longer firing ping coming and I think I'm going back to the factory mainspring.  Leaving the 14lb rebound spring in.  These were mixed brass reloads with EZ moon clips if that matters.

Interestingly enough my 624 with a Wilson kit never has missed a beat.  It's an older "pre MIM, pre lock" so the firing pin is on the hammer.  Wonder if that makes a difference?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have only used Wolf springs in handguns.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#13]
Installed a Power Custom extended firing pin and put the factory hammer spring back in the 625-8 today.  I left the 14lb rebound spring in.  Hardly a change on the trigger pull and I can visibly see a difference of firing pin protrusion with the hammer down.  I did clear some “crap” out of the pin channel.  Could have been the issue the whole time……
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a full power Wolff rib main and a 13 pound rebound spring.
It still makes weight for NRA comp and had about an 8 pound DA pull. It does however, have an action smoothed by thousands upon thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I tried taking some aluminum from a can and Slide it in the notch at the butt in-between the spring and the frame. Just to change the angle a tiny bit. So far so good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried taking some aluminum from a can and Slide it in the notch at the butt in-between the spring and the frame. Just to change the angle a tiny bit. So far so good.
View Quote

That would work. It's akin to the old school spent primer trick.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope

Way to many light strikes even after the shim
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
That’s unfortunate.  I bet if you bump back to the factory hammer spring you’ll be good.  I’ve had good luck with the full Wilson kit in my 624, but my 625 needed the factory hammer spring.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope

Way to many light strikes even after the shim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8PIqd5iag
View Quote

Give her a little positive bend my friend

Also is this IDPA?

Ive been wanting to try my hand again but its been so long
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe try an Apex extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring? I've got them in both of my 686s that also have wilson spring kits and I've never had an issue with light strikes.

"The combination of the Firing Pin and the Reduced Power Firing Pin Return Spring is designed specifically to reduce the probability of light strikes, particularly in revolvers with high-performance trigger action work."

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Also is this IDPA?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nope

Way to many light strikes even after the shim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8PIqd5iag

Also is this IDPA?

I really hate bending springs. I might try it in another gun with a rough trigger

It's a local outlaw match. It's pretty low key but there are a couple guys who are uspsa m and GM. I'm the only one shooting revolvers but typically place in the middle of the pack.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AJR576:
Maybe try an Apex extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring? I've got them in both of my 686s that also have wilson spring kits and I've never had an issue with light strikes.

"The combination of the Firing Pin and the Reduced Power Firing Pin Return Spring is designed specifically to reduce the probability of light strikes, particularly in revolvers with high-performance trigger action work."

View Quote

It already has an extended firing pin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top