Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2024 11:21:56 AM EDT
I know height over bore, angles and stuff are less extreme that most rifle optics. Are there different preferred zeros for handguns?

Have a 9mm g19 with Holosun 509 Acss.

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I zero at 20 yards with the ammo that I am going to carry
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockFudd] [#2]
Ive done 25y and 15y zeroes for red dots on pistols. I have found that I prefer a 15y zero. Simply because I can do it standing and it works great for most applications. When I first got into dot shooting I wanted to zero at max qualification range (25y) but just found that to be unnecessary. Like the post above me, zero with the good ammo that you actually carry or are issued.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a 15 yrd zero with my red dot pistols.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thebert:
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
15 yard for me. Works fine back at 25 and further.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I do 25.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
15 yards for handguns seems to work well
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I do 25
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
So there is no exact right answer for this question but the general consensus is that 15-25m is best.  I prefer 15 as for what I shot I know the holds for my pistol all the way out to 200.  Pick one and go if you pick 15m or 25m I recommend setting up a target with multiple points you can aim at and start at 7m and look at your impacts with a dead hold on a specific point then move back to 10, 15, 25, 50, and 100 if you have the range to do it or go back as far as you can.  This will tell you the full story of your zero and also tell you your hold for each distance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ewald] [#10]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
So there is no exact right answer for this question but the general consensus is that 15-25m is best.  I prefer 15 as for what I shot I know the holds for my pistol all the way out to 200.  Pick one and go if you pick 15m or 25m I recommend setting up a target with multiple points you can aim at and start at 7m and look at your impacts with a dead hold on a specific point then move back to 10, 15, 25, 50, and 100 if you have the range to do it or go back as far as you can.  This will tell you the full story of your zero and also tell you your hold for each distance.
View Quote

I performed that exercise on Saturday. I zeroed my Walther with a 509 Comp at 25 yards. It is an inch low at 5 yards and then comes back up at 15. That is more than fine for a carry gun IMO.

It's my USPSA gun. I am debating if I want to change the zero distance. To me the question is reliable A Zone head shots.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ewald:

I performed that exercise on Saturday. I zeroed my Walther with a 509 Comp at 25 yards. It is an inch low at 5 yards and then comes back up at 15. That is more than fine for a carry gun IMO.

It's my USPSA gun. I am debating if I want to change the zero distance. To me the question is reliable A Zone head shots.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/181990/PXL_20240203_192413127_MP_jpg-3119996.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/181990/PXL_20240203_192358900_jpg-3119998.JPG
View Quote

You nailed it on the head the ability to get consistent A zone hits is the important thing here.  You really cannot go wrong no matter what you choose as your zero just have to find what you like.  
I have had discussions with people who are so intrenched that one zero is better than all the rest to the point they are losing their minds that I or someone else chose incorrectly.  I get it I have considered changing to a different zero myself multiple times or having different zeros on different pistols.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Personal preference is 15
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
10 yards for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Since I carry 124 gr HST's, this was very pertinent to my interests.  
To be honest, trying to zero to that level of precision (+/- 1/2") at distance with a Shield Plus was challenging for me.  I did my best to be ~1\2" high at 20 yards.

From Recoilweb.com...

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thebert:
View Quote
Yup 15 yards works great!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#16]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
10 yards for me.
View Quote

For a defensive handgun, I don't understand how it could be anything other than 10. I used to only use 25 until I started taking advanced courses from a professional who showed me why 10. I like the trajectory out to 50-60, which is my comfort zone with a handgun.

Zero at 10, confirm at 25.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

For a defensive handgun, I don't understand how it could be anything other than 10. I used to only use 25 until I started taking advanced courses from a professional who showed me why 10. I like the trajectory out to 50-60, which is my comfort zone with a handgun.

Zero at 10, confirm at 25.
View Quote

Because of this...  I really does not matter is the point once you confirm.  After zeroing I setup a target with 8-10 different bullseye points on it.  Back up to varying distances and see where I impact with a dead hold on the different bullseyes.  After I am done I know that at X distance I am going to be at +/-Y impact at that point it does not matter if you choose 5, 10, 15, 25, or even 100.  The point really should be that we test and verify after choosing a zero so that we know our impacts at X distance.  
This is something I have barked about when people complain that their iron sights hit high or low on a target.  Partly it is the sights they have are zeroed for a specific distance and that distance is not what they are choosing to shoot.  The other part is they are choosing a full, part, or 6 o'clock cover of the target when they want a different cover to get the hit they want at X distance.  I get it you want to have as an example a part cover at 10m and hit bullseye but it requires a 6 hold to do and that bothers some people.  It all just comes back to you need to learn the DOPE of your pistol and know what to hold at X distance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Because of this...  I really does not matter is the point once you confirm.  After zeroing I setup a target with 8-10 different bullseye points on it.  Back up to varying distances and see where I impact with a dead hold on the different bullseyes.  After I am done I know that at X distance I am going to be at +/-Y impact at that point it does not matter if you choose 5, 10, 15, 25, or even 100.  The point really should be that we test and verify after choosing a zero so that we know our impacts at X distance.  
This is something I have barked about when people complain that their iron sights hit high or low on a target.  Partly it is the sights they have are zeroed for a specific distance and that distance is not what they are choosing to shoot.  The other part is they are choosing a full, part, or 6 o'clock cover of the target when they want a different cover to get the hit they want at X distance.  I get it you want to have as an example a part cover at 10m and hit bullseye but it requires a 6 hold to do and that bothers some people.  It all just comes back to you need to learn the DOPE of your pistol and know what to hold at X distance.
View Quote

Valid.

Another reason for 10 yard is “most” people can’t shoot a compact pistol well enough to trust the POI and adjustments at distances such as 25 yards.

I’ve seen guys struggle at 15 even.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Valid.

Another reason for 10 yard is “most” people can’t shoot a compact pistol well enough to trust the POI and adjustments at distances such as 25 yards.

I’ve seen guys struggle at 15 even.
View Quote

Then that is on them if I cannot make hits at 25 with a pistol I am not going to carry it.  Usually the problem is the pistol is just to small something I have always struggled with the really tiny pistols I feel like the Jolly Green Giant picking them up and almost think I need a twig to press the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Got it zeroed at about 30 just because that’s where the steel was set up. It was hard to miss. 50 yard shots on a silhouette were easy one handed. 100 was doable with little change in hold, but trigger control was most important as it is super easy to shank it left at that distance. Haven’t played with it up close yet but man is it a game changer.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Really anywhere between 10 and 25 will work.

I like 25 because it will pretty much always be low of point of aim except for when your at 25 yards exactly.  

A 10 yard zero will sometimes be high and sometimes be low depending on the distance of your target, but we’re only talking an inch  to two, so it’s not a huge deal.

My rifles hit low at close distance so I’m just used to having my dot higher than where I want the bullet to impact when shooting close, so that’s why I like the 25.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:
Really anywhere between 10 and 25 will work.

I like 25 because it will pretty much always be low of point of aim except for when your at 25 yards exactly.  

A 10 yard zero will sometimes be high and sometimes be low depending on the distance of your target, but we’re only talking an inch  to two, so it’s not a huge deal.

My rifles hit low at close distance so I’m just used to having my dot higher than where I want the bullet to impact when shooting close, so that’s why I like the 25.
View Quote

True. It’s nice having maybe an inch of height over bore to deal with than 3-4 inches for a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a 15 yard zero.  Generally it's going to provide the least amount of deviation for handgun distances depending on what ammo you are using.  Here are two posts and their respective slides that outline the differences between 10/15/25.  If someone has data for 20, I'd be curious to see it.

Post 1
Post 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top