Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agriebel]
I have a 80 series colt commander that is a "custom by ed brown".  It was made in 1990 and has a blue slide with silvery type of frame, maybe metaloy, it's not stainless steel.  Bomar sights and a bar-sto barrel. Do these have any value above a new production Ed Brown?  It's a beautiful gun with a terrific trigger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#1]

That's freaking awesome! Classic example of the style from that era - blued slide on a matte hard chromed frame with BoMar rear sight. I love it.

ETA: The value to a collector or aficionado is that your pistol is a custom built gun from that period. In contrast to the current Ed Brown pistols, which may be technically superior in some ways, but are essentially high priced production guns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
VERY nice pistol...frame may be industrial hard chrome as that was a popular finish back then.  I have a pistol with an industrial hard chrome finish, and that is one of the toughest finishes on the planet...even though my pistol is over 30 years old and has been used in countless pistol, and 3-gun matches in desert and Pacific Northwest wet weather and mud, the pistol looks like the finish was completed last week.  

Cerekote is a tremendous finish, and wears like nobody's business, but I think my hard chromed pistol shows less wear over time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Guys like Ed Brown and Bill Wilson started their companies by working on Colts before they had their own frames and slides.
These guns in my opinion were actually nicer.
I'm sure the checkering was hand cut and not done by machine like it is now.
All parts were file and fitted on them.
I would put the value of your gun some where between $2500 and $3000.
Don't sell it! That one is a keeper.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a true custom.  Nice pistol and I’d hold onto it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#5]
Very cool.

I would get in touch with EB to see if they still have a build sheet on record.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
That's slick OP.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Very cool.

I would get in touch with EB to see if they still have a build sheet on record.
View Quote

I hadn't thought of that.  thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:04:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: agriebel] [#8]
The only drawback is that the top of the slide was drilled and tapped but there are no marks on the slide to indicate anything was ever mounted.  I think that is why I got it cheap.

I have had it since 3/29/00 when I paid $625 for it from a gun shop.
the trigger measures at 2.5lbs
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Wanna double your money
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
That’s pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By agriebel:
The only drawback is that the top of the slide was drilled and tapped but there are no marks on the slide to indicate anything was ever mounted.  I think that is why I got it cheap.

I have had it since 3/29/00 when I paid $625 for it from a gun shop.
the trigger measures at 2.5lbs
View Quote

Excellent deal, I would have slapped down the cash faster than they could blink.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
There is zero chance I would have left that behind in the gunstore. That is pretty epic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll take it. Just send me your PayPal info, Mkay? Thx.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Sharp looking gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top