Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 3:40:41 PM EDT
I noticed at the range today that my hammer is following if I send the slide home empty. Yes I know Wilson says to never do this, but sometimes it happens and makes sense for "slide forward, hammer down, holster".

Is this something I can remedy myself or does it require files and patience?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on why it is following.

First culprit is the middle leg of your sear spring.

Check here for more info on the sear spring than you think you'll need to know: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Fitting-a-1911-sear-spring/49-209228/

If it still follows after adjusting the spring, you'll start looking at sear angles being the problem. Come back for more into after testing your spring.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#3]
Did you replace anything on the weapon? It's one of three things:

1) The hammer spring main house gotten shorter which you can replace the spring.
2) The middle leg is not pushing the reset up.
3) The left leg is not engaging the sear that catches on the hammer.

Either way I would just install new springs form Wilson and see if that fixes your issue. I would also make sure the left-most spring leg is properly sitting on the sear and the middle leg is properly pushing up on the reset.

If you didn't modified anything recently and it just did this without any sort of reason, I would call Wilson to have it fixed under warranty before messing with it any further.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Did you replace anything on the weapon? It's one of three things:

1) The hammer spring main house gotten shorter which you can replace the spring.
2) The middle leg is not pushing the reset up.
3) The left leg is not engaging the sear that catches on the hammer.

Either way I would just install new springs form Wilson and see if that fixes your issue. I would also make sure the left-most spring leg is properly sitting on the sear and the middle leg is properly pushing up on the reset.

If you didn't modified anything recently and it just did this without any sort of reason, I would call Wilson to have it fixed under warranty before messing with it any further.
View Quote

@dalle0001 I didn't change anything on the pistol but the grips. It's not a Wilson combat, but it is a semi-custom. I spoke to the manufacturer via email, they wrote back in ~18 minutes and I had a free return shipping label in my email in an hour. They wanted to take a look at it themselves, so I'm going that route first.  

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Could be trigger bounce.  The trigger is bouncing back due to inertia and tripping the sear.  Hold the trigger forward or press to the side to immobilize it, and drop the slide again.   If the hammer doesn't follow, this is likely what's happening.  One fix is to slightly increase tension of the middle sear spring finger.

If the hammer still follows, you likely either have 1) insufficient tension of left finger of sear spring on the sear and/or 2) damaged or improperly cut hammer hooks/sear engagement surface.
View Quote

@ken_mays thanks, that's a good check. My concern came from the idea that it was happening without the grip safety being pressed at all.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:56:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#6]
99% chance it simply needs the sear spring adjusted

a 10min job

also…when the RO says “Unload & show clear”, you can EASE the slide forward

if you’re going to compete with a 1911, it’s best to learn how to keep them in tune

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@dalle0001 I didn't change anything on the pistol but the grips. It's not a Wilson combat, but it is a semi-custom. I spoke to the manufacturer via email, they wrote back in ~18 minutes and I had a free return shipping label in my email in an hour. They wanted to take a look at it themselves, so I'm going that route first.  

@ken_mays thanks, that's a good check. My concern came from the idea that it was happening without the grip safety being pressed at all.
View Quote

Good choice. Wilson is GTG.
As you saw, a lot of us here have quite a bit of "benchtime" with the 1911 and your problem isn't unusual. For us, anyway, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kobolowsky_Tires:

As you saw, a lot of us here have quite a bit of "benchtime" with the 1911 and your problem isn't unusual. For us, anyway, LOL.
View Quote

It's not a Wilson pistol. I haven't mentioned the brand yet but it's not hard to figure out with my post history
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Just saw my mistake. Oops.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]

It's not a Wilson pistol. I haven't mentioned the brand yet but it's not hard to figure out with my post history
View Quote

So is it the ACW or the Baer then?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#11]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
99% chance it simply needs the sear spring adjusted

a 10min job

also…when the RO says “Unload & show clear”, you can EASE the slide forward

if you’re going to compete with a 1911, it’s best to learn how to keep them in tune

View Quote

Either way an occasional release of the slide shouldn't damage anything. I would imagine something got worn out. I wouldn't exactly trust an old spring in such a case. Springs are so cheap that it doesn't make sense trying to salvage the old one when you can buy a new set and put them in.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kobolowsky_Tires:

Lol 😆
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Happy Update. I sent it back to ACW and it turned out the disconnector was a touch too short and not engaging like it should. They replaced it in under 3 weeks, for free, including shipping both ways.

Makes sense something like that could sneak through as it’s an issue that seldom comes up and the pistol still passed all the checks I knew about.

I’m happy with how they resolved it and super happy to have the gun back in my hands. Will shoot it to verify function (as I always do) and then back In the holster she goes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Happy Update. I sent it back to ACW and it turned out the disconnector was a touch too short and not engaging like it should. They replaced it in under 3 weeks, for free, including shipping both ways.

Makes sense something like that could sneak through as it's an issue that seldom comes up and the pistol still passed all the checks I knew about.

I'm happy with how they resolved it and super happy to have the gun back in my hands. Will shoot it to verify function (as I always do) and then back In the holster she goes.
View Quote
Was it a new gun - about how many rounds through it?

Was it well used and just wore down?

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By maxima2:

View Quote

New gun, under 300 rounds through it. Still bank vault tight thought that’s for damn sure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#16]

New gun, under 300 rounds through it. Still bank vault tight thought that's for damn sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maxima2:

New gun, under 300 rounds through it. Still bank vault tight thought that's for damn sure.
Glad they fixed it for you but that should have not made it out the door of their shop = safety issue.

Disappointing though = They have a great reputation and they need to stay on point.

I bet that is a fine pistol as is all their stuff.

I am still trying to convince myself to go ahead and pick up a really nice 1911.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad they took care of it so quickly!

@Nick_Adams
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top