User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
height=8
Quoted:

That also does not excuse the misleading way of them putting in one box bits and pieces of a law that make it sound like you would be charged with hijacking for merely carrying aboard public transportation.  I don't care to be part of, nor take advice from, a group that does that kind of shit.

LarryG,  I was made aware of your post through www.georgiapacking.org and wanted to thank you for you insight as to what the statute regarding riding public transportation really means.   I can tell you have a pretty good grasp on the laws in GA.  

I also wanted to say that the group of which you speak harshly is not trying to mislead folks.   I think we would agree that misleading and misunderstanding are two completely different topics.  

As an occasional poster on www.georgiapacking.org , I had misread the statute like a few others on the site and came to an incorrect conclusion.  Thanks for helping correct me

That doesn't change the fact that I would like to change the law and have the option to carry on MARTA without being a felon.  You can read about a few instances I've had on there over at the other forum if you'd like.  

I don't really wish to compare GA with other states.  I just want to change GA laws, since this is where I live, to allow me to carry in more places.  That's why I support GCO and am expecting good things out of them.  The organization is just getting started and who knows, maybe in 5, 10 years, things will be a lot better in GA.

As always, we would love your insight over at GPO, but I see that you spend a lot of your time over here.  :)  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not going to wade through all the states of which I have no interest, but, just from the list, I can tell you that GA's firearms license prohibitions regarding carrying where alcohol is served on the premises is more restrictive than FL's law, and probably more restrictive than many other states.  

How can you tell from the list that Georgia's laws are more restrictive?

Did you see Florida's name on that list.  Well, it is there as well as 25 other states, not counting DC.

So much for "more restrictive".  Do you know that you can't open carry in the oh so great Florida or Texas with or without a license?

Maybe some of you SHOULD study some other states before you criticize Georgia laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That also does not excuse the misleading way of them putting in one box bits and pieces of a law that make it sound like you would be charged with hijacking for merely carrying aboard public transportation.  I don't care to be part of, nor take advice from, a group that does that kind of shit.

LarryG,  I was made aware of your post through www.georgiapacking.org and wanted to thank you for you insight as to what the statute regarding riding public transportation really means.   I can tell you have a pretty good grasp on the laws in GA.  

I also wanted to say that the group of which you speak harshly is not trying to mislead folks.   I think we would agree that misleading and misunderstanding are two completely different topics.  

As an occasional poster on www.georgiapacking.org , I had misread the statute like a few others on the site and came to an incorrect conclusion.  Thanks for helping correct me

That doesn't change the fact that I would like to change the law and have the option to carry on MARTA without being a felon.  You can read about a few instances I've had on there over at the other forum if you'd like.  

I don't really wish to compare GA with other states.  I just want to change GA laws, since this is where I live, to allow me to carry in more places.  That's why I support GCO and am expecting good things out of them.  The organization is just getting started and who knows, maybe in 5, 10 years, things will be a lot better in GA.

As always, we would love your insight over at GPO, but I see that you spend a lot of your time over here.  :)  

It is not so much comparing to other states, I just get tired of hearing how much worse Georgia laws are compared to other states.  When you look at the rest of the states, you find that not to be true.

Granted, some things need to be changed, but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.  It does need to be better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:

I am familiar with Florida carry laws, Pennsylvania, Texas, and several others.  I find the Georgia laws to be on par with many states and better than some states such as Texas.

LARRYG, this is my first post here, so you will have to go easy on me.

I am troubled by the statements above.

In the interest of full disclosure, I wished to let you know that I am the President of a nonprofit corporation in Georgia, which you can find at www.georgiacarry.org

The statements that are being made about Georgia's carry laws being restrictive have to do with the places off limits.  Since you cited the example of Texas specifically, I will use that one.

Yes, open carry is prohibited in Texas.  But the places off limits restrictions are not even comparable.

Please answer the following questions (not really if you do not want to, as they are rhetorical - the answer to each is obvious from the fact that I ask them).

Let's see, will I be charged with a felony if I carry on a bus in Houston, Texas, yes or no? Any charge at all? Oh, what, I am free to carry on public transit in Houston?

Will I be committing a felony in Texas when I walk past a bus stop on a public sidewalk?

What about walking into the airport building to pick up the mother in law in the baggage area (where they keep the "old bags")?

What about a dangerous Marta parking lot (or whatever the equivalent is in Houston)?

Will I be arrested for walking too near a group of teenagers "hanging out" in a parking lot talking and eating - in Houston, Texas?

State parks?

Historic sites?

Wildlife managment areas?

Restaurants that serve alcohol?

What about in my car 200 yards away from a church or a restaurant?

For each of these questions, the answer in Texas is - no crime, go about your business.  In Georgia, each of these is a crime, punishable by from one year in jail (for the misdemeanors) to 20 years in prison (for the terrrible offense of being in the Marta parking lot or coming too close to a bus stop).

I would say that the laws do not compare very favorably at all

www.georgiacarry.org is trying to change these laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You also posted a list of places that are off limits for serving alcohol.  Most of those include only bars (for example, Texas and Florida).  In Georgia, any place that serves alcohol is off limits,including restaurants.  Only a minority of states have that ridiculous restriction.

Maps at GCO show which states have what.

As for public transportation, only three states put public transportation off limits, and Georgia is the only one of those that puts all public transportation off limits (and Goergia makes it a felony - 20 years in the parking lot or at the bus stop, only 10 years, as you pointed out, if you make it onto the train, bus, or plane).

As for Missouri, you state that its law is word for word almost exactly like Georgia's, but packing.org shows it as only having the secured area of the airport off limits (which every state has - there is a federal law).  This is the law in most states.

packing.org could be wrong, though, so go ahead and post a link if you have it available.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting screen name.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
LARRYG, please do not take my posts as an attempt to "show you up."  I just wanted to make you aware of the restrictions on place of carry in Georgia.

As yet one more example, our public gathering clause is a law that no other state that issues a license has.

Also, I came over here to post because I may be the person responsible for the original misunderstanding as to the hijacking law.  I loosely referred to it several times over at georgiapacking.org as "hijacking."  This is because it appears in the hijacking statute.  Nobody over there said it was anything but the ten year penalty you describe.

This was the main reason for my coming over here to post.

I did subsequently correct that in another post over at the same forum.

As for "bad advice," georgiapacking.org is the only site I know of with, in addition to the forums, a full recitation of all the statutes, unedited.  This should allay any fears about "selective" quotations.  It is all there for the reading.  They are also busy compiling all of the relevant case law (relevant to carrying firearms, that is) to make available on the site.  Some of it is available already.  GPDO also has lots of information on probate courts, county by county, and local gun restrictions as well.

I do not know of any other site with such a wealth of information.

Please do not let my earlier loose language regarding the hijacking statute dissuade you from visiting a site with such a wealth of information resources.  That was my error, followed by others, and subsequently corrected.  In the end, the result is the same as what you stated.  Ten years in prison (although I do not know how one could avoid the twenty year penalty for possessing a firearm in a terminal, which includes bus stops and parking lots, since that is how one gets on the bus or train or plane).  There is a lot more over at GPDO than just one statement calling a crime by the wrong name.

Also, please check out GeorgiaCarry.Org, as it is a group that is fighting to correct the things that are wrong in Georgia (whether you think they are a lot or a little - GCO is succeeding in correcting them!).   GCO just had another major success today, and succeeded in removing a county level gun ban earlier this week, on Tuesday.

There is no need for you to be on the opposite side of the fence from us.

I ask you to check us out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Interesting screen name.

Kind of sums up the issue of gun control laws, though, doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with Florida carry laws, Pennsylvania, Texas, and several others.  I find the Georgia laws to be on par with many states and better than some states such as Texas.

In the interest of full disclosure, I wished to let you know that I am the President of a nonprofit corporation in Georgia, which you can find at www.georgiacarry.org

The statements that are being made about Georgia's carry laws being restrictive have to do with the places off limits.  Since you cited the example of Texas specifically, I will use that one.

Yes, open carry is prohibited in Texas.  But the places off limits restrictions are not even comparable.

Please answer the following questions (not really if you do not want to, as they are rhetorical - the answer to each is obvious from the fact that I ask them).

Let's see, will I be charged with a felony if I carry on a bus in Houston, Texas, yes or no? Any charge at all? Oh, what, I am free to carry on public transit in Houston? You tell me.  They are government property.  If you want to think that you wouldn't be charged, go ahead.

Will I be committing a felony in Texas when I walk past a bus stop on a public sidewalk? I have seen the Georgia law you are talking about and if you think you would be charged for just walking down the sidewalk, go ahead.

What about walking into the airport building to pick up the mother in law in the baggage area (where they keep the "old bags")? Read the Georgia law again.  It says the "secured area" and baggage claim is not part of the secured area.

What about a dangerous Marta parking lot (or whatever the equivalent is in Houston)? Government property.  You keep believing that if you want to.

Will I be arrested for walking too near a group of teenagers "hanging out" in a parking lot talking and eating - in Houston, Texas?  Now, WTF are you talking about.  If you are referring to the "public gathering" crap, I suggest you read the AG's opinion on this.

State parks? I never said it was perfect, but I have carried in many states and those who want to whine that Georgia laws are so much worse than everywhere else don't know what they are talking about.

Historic sites? I guess not.  You got me on that one.

Wildlife managment areas? You mean like firing ranges?

Restaurants that serve alcohol? Yes.  Again, I have spent a good deal of time in Texas.  You have to figure out if they derive less than 51 percent of their revenue booze.  People I know in Texas say that can be a real pain in the ass..

What about in my car 200 yards away from a church or a restaurant? Now I gotta ask, what the hell are you talking about?

For each of these questions, the answer in Texas is - no crime, go about your business.  In Georgia, each of these is a crime, punishable by from one year in jail (for the misdemeanors) to 20 years in prison (for the terrrible offense of being in the Marta parking lot or coming too close to a bus stop.  Are you familiar with the term "the sky is falling"?  I just got off the phone with a friend who moved to Texas a few years ago from Georgia and and that friend says that they still thinks Georgia carry laws are as good as Texas.  I trust this person's opinion far more than I do yours.

I would say that the laws do not compare very favorably at all And you would be wrong.

Like I said, they need to be improved, but all this wailing and gnashing of teeth about how me are so much worse than other states is ridiculous and on your website all your references to racism, slavery, and Jim Crow is really pathetic.

Please show me which gun laws that we have in Georgia are directed at black people.  I know that's how gun laws originated nationwide, but it's a dead horse.  Again, which current Georgia gun laws target black people and have no effect on anyone else or have more effect on black people than anyone else?

Also, compare the process to getting a license in Texas to getting a license here.  Same thing with Florida.  The process is far more involved and a hell of a lot more expensive.

None of this explains this:

“A person commits the offense of bus or rail vehicle hijacking when he or she …. Boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any …. firearm….. or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense or defense concealed on or about his or her person or would be accessible to such person while on ….”

Where you snipped bits and pieces to make it sound like the mere act of boarding a bus with a pistol constitutes hijacking.  You may have corrected it in some post, but that's how it is still displayed as of 10 minutes ago.

Again, Georgia carry laws do need improvement, but some of you are out there with some of the things you say.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You also posted a list of places that are off limits for serving alcohol.  Most of those include only bars (for example, Texas and Florida).  In Georgia, any place that serves alcohol is off limits,including restaurants.  Only a minority of states have that ridiculous restriction.

Maps at GCO show which states have what.

As for public transportation, only three states put public transportation off limits, and Georgia is the only one of those that puts all public transportation off limits (and Goergia makes it a felony - 20 years in the parking lot or at the bus stop, only 10 years, as you pointed out, if you make it onto the train, bus, or plane).

As for Missouri, you state that its law is word for word almost exactly like Georgia's, but packing.org shows it as only having the secured area of the airport off limits (which every state has - there is a federal law).  This is the law in most states.

packing.org could be wrong, though, so go ahead and post a link if you have it available.

From packing.org.  I guess you missed that:

1. The offense of "bus hijacking" is defined as the seizure or exercise of control, by force or violence or threat of force or violence, of any bus within the jurisdiction of this state. Bus hijacking shall be a class B felony.

2. The offense of "assault with the intent to commit bus hijacking" is defined as an intimidation, threat, assault or battery toward any driver, attendant or guard of a bus so as to interfere with the performance of duties by such person. Assault to commit bus hijacking shall be a class C felony.

3. Any person, who, in the commission of such intimidation, threat, assault or battery with the intent to commit bus hijacking, employs a dangerous or deadly weapon or other means capable of inflicting serious bodily injury shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a class A felony.

4. Any passenger who boards a bus with a dangerous or deadly weapon or other means capable of inflicting serious bodily injury concealed upon his person or effects is guilty of the felony of "possession and concealment of a dangerous or deadly weapon" upon a bus. Possession and concealment of a dangerous and deadly weapon by a passenger upon a bus shall be a class C felony. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to duly elected or appointed law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel who are in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the provisions of this subsection apply to persons who are in possession of weapons or other means of inflicting serious bodily injury with the consent of the owner of such bus, or his agent, or the lessee or bailee of such bus.

The Georgia law as already shown on the previous page of this thread:

16-12-123.

(a)(1) A person commits the offense of bus or rail vehicle hijacking when he or she:
(A) Seizes or exercises control by force or violence or threat of force or violence of any bus or rail vehicle within the jurisdiction of this state;
(B) By force or violence or by threat of force or violence seizes or exercises control of any transportation company or all or any part of the transportation facilities owned or operated by any such company; or
(C) By force or violence or by threat of force or violence substantially obstructs, hinders, interferes with, or otherwise disrupts or disturbs the operation of any transportation company or all or any part of a transportation facility.
(2) Any person convicted of the offense of bus or rail hijacking shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for life or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years.
(b) Any person who boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as such term is defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense concealed on or about his or her person or property which is or would be accessible to such person while on the aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years. The prohibition of this subsection shall not apply to any law enforcement officer, peace officer retired from a state or federal law enforcement agency, person in the military service of the state or of the United States, or commercial security personnel employed by the transportation company who is in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the prohibition apply to persons transporting weapons contained in baggage which is not accessible to passengers if the presence of such weapons has been declared to the transportation company and such weapons have been secured in a manner prescribed by state or federal law or regulation for the purpose of transportation
or shipment. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any privately owned aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle if the owner of such aircraft or vehicle has given his or her express permission to board the aircraft or vehicle with the item.
(c) The company may employ reasonable security measures, including any method or device, to detect concealed weapons, explosives, or hazardous material in baggage or freight or upon the person of the passenger. Upon the discovery of any such item or material in the possession of a person, unless the item is a weapon in the possession of a person exempted under subsection (b) of this Code section from the prohibition of that subsection (b), the company shall obtain possession and retain custody of such item or materials until they are transferred to the custody of law enforcement officers.

I would also like to suggest you do a little digging.

Packing.org says that 16-12-122 definces terminal, etc.  Yet, the rest of that section of Georgia Code does not mention terminal.

Apparently, look at the state of Georgia website, 16-12-127 no longer exists in Georgia Code.

This is the URL:

www.ganet.org/cgi-bin/pub/ocode/ocgsearch?docname=OCode

You would put the code number such as /16/12/127 in after the OCode.  I find 123, 124, and 125, but 127, which is what you refer to apparently no longer exists.  Yeah, I know, if you go to the lexis-nexis link from the Georgia website, it still shows it, but the other address is an actual state of Georgia website, so I trust it more.

Even if it was stil there, this is what it says:

§ 16-12-127.  Prohibition on firearms, hazardous substances, knives, or other devices; penalty; affirmative defenses

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense, to:

(1) Have any such item on or about his or her person, or

(2) Place or cause to be placed or attempt to place or cause to be placed any such item:

(A) In a container or freight of a transportation company;

(B) In the baggage or possessions of any person or any transportation company without the knowledge of the passenger or transportation company; or

(C) Aboard such aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle.

(b) A person violating the provisions of this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than 20 years, a fine not to exceed $15,000.00, or both. A prosecution under this Code section shall not be barred by the imposition of a civil penalty imposed by any governmental entity.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company.

Which I don't think says what you seem to think it says.

However, like I said, it's gone from the ganet.org website which makes me wonder if it still exists.

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  his
This is not a matter of what I can "go ahead and believe if  want to."  It is a matter of the law.  Either it says it or it does not.

Just asserting it does not make it so.  If there is no such law, then it is not off limits.  If there is, then it is off limits.

Roads are government property, by the way, as are sidewalks.

I will wait to hear from you on this Texas law that nobody has discovered until now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
LARRYG, is this serious?

What about walking into the airport building to pick up the mother in law in the baggage area (where they keep the "old bags")? Read the Georgia law again. It says the "secured area" and baggage claim is not part of the secured area.

Are you really contending that you think you can walk around the airport in Georgia as long as you do not go into the "secured area?"

You stated that you have seen the law relating to bus stops, and then you state this about airports.  If you read the definition of terminal, then you would know that what you state, assuming I understand you correctly, simply is not true.

Please read 16-12-123, 16-12-127, and then look at the definition of "terminal" in 122.  This is very important, as we are talking about a felony.

If you insist, however, I have a digital video camera, and I would be happy to meet you at Hartsfield and film you open carrying in the baggage area.  I will even make it available on Youtube, so you can direct everybody here to it to show how right you are.

Sir, please research these laws a little better.  Your liberty could depend on it!

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
he  This is the distance that the Georgia appellate courts say is a violation of the law.  Essentially, if one leaves a gun accessible in a car up to 200 yards away from a public gathering, it is a violation of the public gathering provision.

You can read about it here.  Look in the year 1965, and yes, it is still good law.

You will not find it in the statute anywhere, but you can still go to jail for it.

You can see in the statute itself, though, that it is a crime to carry to or while at a public gathering.  That is, carrying to is in addition to carrying while at.

Big mess.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sigh.  Do you always argue like this?

Will I be arrested for walking too near a group of teenagers "hanging out" in a parking lot talking and eating - in Houston, Texas? Now, WTF are you talking about. If you are referring to the "public gathering" crap, I suggest you read the AG's opinion on this.

Go to the same link and look at the case from 1993, Hubbard v. State.  Oops.  The entire text is not up yet, but it should be this weekend.  The synopsis is there.

Please do not be so didactic. I am sure other people on this site know what they are talking about, too.  he
An AG opinion is not binding upon the courts.  This appellate court opinion is binding.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wow.  

Ok, let's take this one at a time.  "Government property" in Texas. Please provide me a citation for your bare declaration that government property as a whole is off limits in Texas.

This is not a matter of what I can "go ahead and believe if  want to."  It is a matter of the law.  Either it says it or it does not.

Just asserting it does not make it so.  If there is no such law, then it is not off limits.  If there is, then it is off limits.

I will wait to hear from you on this Texas law that nobody has discovered until now.

I will take the word of people in Texas over yours.

I am not gonna go back and forth with you.  I have shown in detail why you are wrong.

Again, our laws do need to be impoved but they are not as bad as you say they are.

Is this how you operate?  You just keep slamming post after post and even when someone knows you are wrong, they just get tired of trying to keep up with you?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyway, I am sure you are beginning to suspect that maybe Georgia has some more places off limits than you may have supposed . . .

I wish you were right.

And this problem needs fixin'.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LARRYG, is this serious?

What about walking into the airport building to pick up the mother in law in the baggage area (where they keep the "old bags")? Read the Georgia law again. It says the "secured area" and baggage claim is not part of the secured area.

Are you really contending that you think you can walk around the airport in Georgia as long as you do not go into the "secured area?"

You stated that you have seen the law relating to bus stops, and then you state this about airports.  If you read the definition of terminal, then you would know that what you state, assuming I understand you correctly, simply is not true.

Please read 16-12-123, 16-12-127, and then look at the definition of "terminal" in 122.  This is very important, as we are talking about a felony.

If you insist, however, I have a digital video camera, and I would be happy to meet you at Hartsfield and film you open carrying in the baggage area.  I will even make it available on Youtube, so you can direct everybody here to it to show how right you are.

Sir, please research these laws a little better.  Your liberty could depend on it!

Maybe you need to do some research and read my posts a little more thoroughly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The 200 yards!  I thought that would get you.    This is the distance that the Georgia appellate courts say is a violation of the law.  Essentially, if one leaves a gun accessible in a car up to 200 yards away from a public gathering, it is a violation of the public gathering provision.

You can read about it here.  Look in the year 1965, and yes, it is still good law.

You will not find it in the statute anywhere, but you can still go to jail for it.

You can see in the statute itself, though, that it is a crime to carry to or while at a public gathering.  That is, carrying to is in addition to carrying while at.

Big mess.

One minute you are all about what IS in Georgia Code, now you point something that is NOT in Georgia Code and claim that as some kind of proof.

Sheesh, I read the case.  You really are reaching with this crap.  Some drunk takes out a shotgun in the parking lot where a dance is being held and threatens someone with it.

He was 75 feet from the barn and they make a reference to a case that involved someone bringing booze within 200 yards of a church, totally irrelevant to the case you link to.

You really like to reach, don't you.

This is getting funnier by the minute.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anyway, I am sure you are beginning to suspect that maybe Georgia has some more places off limits than you may have supposed . . .

I wish you were right.

Maybe it is you who doesn't know what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Wow.  his

I am not gonna go back and forth with you.  I have shown in detail why you are wrong.

Again, our laws do need to be impoved but they are not as bad as you say they are.

Is this how you operate?  You just keep slamming post after post and even when someone knows you are wrong, they just get tired of trying to keep up with you?

I am not sure I understand.  hinking.gif  I did not slam your post.  he
As for your claim that you can carry in the baggage area at Hartsfield, again, I did not "slam" you.  I simply pointed you to the statutes on this subject so you can discover the answer for your self.  How is that slamming your post? I should think you would be happy to get them.  This is a felony, after all, and the consequences for you are quite severe if I am correct.

Either you are interested in researching the truth, or you are not.  The only answer is going to be in the statutes and case law.

I then offered to videotape your excursion into Hartsfield's baggage area so that everybody here could see you are right, assuming you are still of the same opinion after reading the statutes I provided.  I suspect you will not be.

I have no interest in slamming you, sir.  I just want people reading this to be able to get the law, and not erroneous opinions.  hy.gif

And I will be more than happy to discuss anything you find there (not "slam" what you write).

As for not being able to "keep up." well, you are in luck!  home,On Monday, assuming you have a real concern derived from actually reading a statute or case law, I will be happy to discuss it with you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I wish you were right.

Maybe so!  That is my point!  Don't take the word of somebody off the internet!  Not me or anybody else.  I provided the law.  Go read it.  And if I do not know what I am talking about, let me know!  happy

But I do not want to learn from anonymous opinions with no support.  Please do your research first.  Then I can learn what the law actually says from you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting screen name.

Kind of sums up the issue of gun control laws, though, doesn't it?  

factum pauci reservo vox totus. Indulgeo mihi ex meditor
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow.  

Ok, let's take this one at a time.  "Government property" in Texas. Please provide me a citation for your bare declaration that government property as a whole is off limits in Texas.

I am not sure I understand.    I did not slam your post.   I asked for a citation to the law.  The fact that somebody lives in Texas does not make them right.  Note that I am not claiming to be right, either.  Show me the law that makes government property off limits.  It either is or it is not, and neither your opinion, nor mine, nor your friend in Texas matters if the opinion is wrong.

As for your claim that you can carry in the baggage area at Hartsfield, again, I did not "slam" you.  I simply pointed you to the statutes on this subject so you can discover the answer for your self.  How is that slamming your post? I should think you would be happy to get them.  This is a felony, after all, and the consequences for you are quite severe if I am correct.

Either you are interested in researching the truth, or you are not.  The only answer is going to be in the statutes and case law.

I then offered to videotape your excursion into Hartsfield's baggage area so that everybody here could see you are right, assuming you are still of the same opinion after reading the statutes I provided.  I suspect you will not be.

I have no interest in slamming you, sir.  I just want people reading this to be able to get the law, and not erroneous opinions.  

And I will be more than happy to discuss anything you find there (not "slam" what you write).

As for not being able to "keep up." well, you are in luck!    I am about to go home, and I will not have internet for the remainder of the weekend, so feel free to "catch up" in the meantime.   But I would suggest that your efforts be directed to reading the law and then posting your thoughts rather than simply posting thoughts with no research or effort behind it.  On Monday, assuming you have a real concern derived from actually reading a statute or case law, I will be happy to discuss it with you.

I like how you have not addressed the post showing the Missouri statute being almost identical to Georgia's after you ask for it.

A also like the way that you sidestep that fact that the post on your board STILL gives the inference that merely boarding a bus or train with a gun means you can be charged with hijacking.

All you have done is point out what YOU think the statutes say.

I didn't say you were slamming me, but apparently your style is to just keep posting one after the other (that's what I meant by slamming) so that after a while, someone gets tired of trying to keep up with your bullshit and they give up.  Then you will claim that you proved you are right.

Go ahead, have fun.  You haven't proven a damn thing except that you can interpret Georgia Code in a manner that makes your "cause" seem more critical.

Again, yes Georgia carry laws need to be made better, but no, I for one, will not depend on you or your group to get it done.

I am less than impressed with what I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:

. . .

Packing.org says that 16-12-122 definces terminal, etc.  Yet, the rest of that section of Georgia Code does not mention terminal.

Apparently, look at the state of Georgia website, 16-12-127 no longer exists in Georgia Code.

This is the URL:

You would put the code number such as /16/12/127 in after the OCode.  I find 123, 124, and 125, but 127, which is what you refer to apparently no longer exists.  Yeah, I know, if you go to the lexis-nexis link from the Georgia website, it still shows it, but the other address is an actual state of Georgia website, so I trust it more.

height=8
§ 16-12-127.  Prohibition on firearms, hazardous substances, knives, or other devices; penalty; affirmative defenses

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense, to:

(2) Place or cause to be placed or attempt to place or cause to be placed any such item:

(B) In the baggage or possessions of any person or any transportation company without the knowledge of the passenger or transportation company; or

(b) A person violating the provisions of this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than 20 years, a fine not to exceed $15,000.00, or both. A prosecution under this Code section shall not be barred by the imposition of a civil penalty imposed by any governmental entity.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company.

However, like I said, it's gone from the ganet.org website which makes me wonder if it still exists.

Fine, sir.  I tried.  If you still feel this way come Monday, please let me know, and I will arrange a time around your schedule to try this out at Hartsfield.  Just let me know.  I will bring the video camera, and we can have a grand time.  It will be very entertaining for everybody here whether I am right or you are right.

Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish you were right.

Maybe so!  That is my point!  Don't take the word of somebody off the internet!  Not me or anybody else.  I provided the law.  Go read it.  And if I do not know what I am talking about, let me know!  

I am always happy to learn.

But I do not want to learn from anonymous opinions with no support.  Please do your research first.  Then I can learn what the law actually says from you.

I have read the laws, probably more than you, but my interpretation skills apparently  are not up to your level.

I don't mean that as a compliment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
I like how you have not addressed the post showing the Missouri statute being almost identical to Georgia's after you ask for it.

Did not see it until now.  Yes, it does say this farther down on packing.org.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

. . .

This is the URL:

Fine, sir.  I tried.  If you still feel this way come Monday, please let me know, and I will arrange a time around your schedule to try this out at Hartsfield.  Just let me know.  I will bring the video camera, and we can have a grand time.  It will be very entertaining for everybody here whether I am right or you are right.

I have no plans to go to Hartsfield and I sure as hell am not gonna do anything because you ask.  You would be one of the last people for whom I give any consideration to any request from.

If it is so important for you to be right, go ahead and claim it.  That doesn't make it a fact.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, I missed it.

What is the law that makes government property off limits in Texas?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
I have read the laws, probably more than you, but my interpretation skills apparently  are not up to your level.hat

Ok, fine.  Let me know when you want to visit Hartsfield.  I will not be carrying.  You will.  OPENLY.  Just give me a time.  I will make time to show up for this on your schedule.  I am at your convenience.

Oh!  And I will come back on here and apologize for exaggerating the law about the airport terminal to drum up support for my cause.

And I will post my apology elsewhere, too.

DEAL?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
I have no plans to go to Hartsfield and I sure as hell am not gonna do anything

I thought not. hink
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]
GUYS! Simmer down! We're all on the same side here arn't we? We've totally hijacked (sorry couldn't resist) the origional post.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Again, yes Georgia carry laws need to be made better, but no, I for one, will not depend on you or your group to get it done.

I am less than impressed with what I have seen.

Sorry to hear that, but anybody on the internet can go and look at what GeorgiaCarry.Org has done.

In fact, you can look at what we accomplished just today.

What did you accompish to fix Georgia's problems, as you perceive them, today?

This week?

Take a look.  hered
And I am just kidding about you showing up at Hartsfield.  If I thought you would really take me up on it, I would attempt to dissuade you, as I would not want to see you in jail on a serious felony charge, even if out of ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no plans to go to Hartsfield and I sure as hell am not gonna do anything

I thought not.

I think we have just exposed that you believe what I say.  

No, I just don't have any legitimate reason to go to Hartsfield any time soon.  You asking me to in order than you can prove some point is not a legtimate reason.

FYI, I flew out of Hartsfield and Savannah every week for about 6 years and do know how they operate.  I have, in the past, gone in to pick up folks at either airport with my pistol in a shoulder holster.  As long as I don't try to evade any security measures or try to enter the secure areas, I am not violating any law.  I have a lot more real world experience than you on that subject.

You keep thinking you have proved some point if it makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you are so bothered by me, personally, don't let that stop you.  There are a lot more people over there than just me, and the members are pretty active, making things better for you.

Okay, it was great to see some opposing viewpoints, and I think we can all agree that you've tested LarryG's knowledge and experience on the subject.  But he's refuted your points (or at least most of them), and now you've turned into a broken record.  Either counter his points, or shut the fuck up, because all you are accomplishing right now is threadshitting and trolling and it's really fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I leave for just a few hours and look what you two have done to my thread.  Tisk tisk.

-MEI
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not going to wade through all the states of which I have no interest, but, just from the list, I can tell you that GA's firearms license prohibitions regarding carrying where alcohol is served on the premises is more restrictive than FL's law, and probably more restrictive than many other states.  

How can you tell from the list that Georgia's laws are more restrictive?

Did you see Florida's name on that list.  Well, it is there as well as 25 other states, not counting DC.

So much for "more restrictive".  Do you know that you can't open carry in the oh so great Florida or Texas with or without a license?

Maybe some of you SHOULD study some other states before you criticize Georgia laws.

I know I don't give a damn about carrying openly anywhere...well, maybe in the woods or while fishing ,etc.    Maybe I'm missing something in your response.  Florida does permit carrying in establishments where alcohol is served. (51% rule?)  GA doesn't permit carrying in any establishment where alcohol is served.  We are on the same page with that, aren't we?  

Fortunately, I have enough wherewithall and political contacts to actually do something about improving our laws.  My current pet peeve is not being able to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.  I'm going to be putting some bugs in some ears and try to get something done about that next legislative session.  

I'm also disenchanted with some of the pusillanimous Probate Judges who jack us around about the "no later than 60 days" part of the code.  It's pretty clear what the legislative intent was when that law was passed.  There's no reason why we couldn't have almost instant issuance of firearms licenses in GA.  

Permit me to add, being reminded by DKing, that 18-20 year-olds can legally carry in their vehicles in FL, but they can't in GA.  THAT'S RIDICULOUS, AND IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!\
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#37]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmm, let's see MP has over a decade of LEO experience and as a being an attorney. I think I would be more trusting of MP's talking points than that of a close-minded redneck like Larry.

And incase you have forgotten how the legislative and judicial branches of government work, it is up to the courts to provide the final interpretation of the application of law - which is why MP has provided caselaw relevant to GA firearm laws which Larry refuses to read.

Furthermore, the ganet.org, georgia.gov site or whatever is the NOT best source for GA laws. It is the lexis-nexis site. Read O.C.G.A.1-1-1 of the Georgia code and you will see that statutory authority is given to the Michie corporation to administer the upkeeping, updating, and official publishing of the GA code. Lexis-nexis is a subsiduary of the Michie corporation, so therefore the GA code present on that website is the "Official" code of GA, not that un-annotated crap on the ganet.org that Larry covets so much.

And lastly, I suprised to see how reluctant Larry is to prove his point. You know since his 4years of being in the USN has given him unlimited knowledge on everything and everyone that questions him is automatically wrong. Well Larry old boy, here is some food for thought. I used to be a LEO myself, so I did my fair share of "booking" criminals in and one of the procedures is to pull a GCIC report to submit with the OBITS form. And guess what shows up on the GCIC of someone already convited of the crime... The code section number and the statute text of the law they broke. So if you were convicted of carry a weapon on a bus or train this is what would show up on your GCIC: 16-12-123. Bus or rail vehicle hijacking; boarding with concealed weapon; company use of reasonable security measures.

And imagine that would follow you around for the rest of your life. Even though you technically didn't "hijack" the transportation vehicle, try explaining that to a prospective employer who pulls your backgound and finds that bit of information. And so you don't think I am conjururing this up out of thin air, I will provide the entire "annotated" statute below, since you're not resourceful enough to find it yourself. But I do image that you will post a reply saying that you're right and Iam wrong without even taking the time to research it yourself...

16-12-123. Bus or rail vehicle hijacking; boarding with concealed weapon; company use of reasonable security measures.

(a)(1) A person commits the offense of bus or rail vehicle hijacking when he or she:  

(A) Seizes or exercises control by force or violence or threat of force or violence of any bus or rail vehicle within the jurisdiction of this state;  
(B) By force or violence or by threat of force or violence seizes or exercises control of any transportation company or all or any part of the transportation facilities owned or operated by any such company; or  
(C) By force or violence or by threat of force or violence substantially obstructs, hinders, interferes with, or otherwise disrupts or disturbs the operation of any transportation company or all or any part of a transportation facility.  
(2) Any person convicted of the offense of bus or rail hijacking shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for life or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years.  
(b)  Any person who boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as such term is defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense concealed on or about his or her person or property which is or would be accessible to such person while on the aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years. The prohibition of this subsection shall not apply to any law enforcement officer, peace officer retired from a state or federal law enforcement agency, person in the military service of the state or of the United States, or commercial security personnel employed by the transportation company who is in possession of weapons used within the course and scope of their employment; nor shall the prohibition apply to persons transporting weapons contained in baggage which is not accessible to passengers if the presence of such weapons has been declared to the transportation company and such weapons have been secured in a manner prescribed by state or federal law or regulation for the purpose of transportation or shipment. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any privately owned aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle if the owner of such aircraft or vehicle has given his or her express permission to board the aircraft or vehicle with the item.  
(c)  The company may employ reasonable security measures, including any method or device, to detect concealed weapons, explosives, or hazardous material in baggage or freight or upon the person of the passenger. Upon the discovery of any such item or material in the possession of a person, unless the item is a weapon in the possession of a person exempted under subsection (b) of this Code section from the prohibition of that subsection (b), the company shall obtain possession and retain custody of such item or materials until they are transferred to the custody of law enforcement officers.  

History
(Ga. L. 1978, p. 2238, § 3; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, § 16; Ga. L. 1988, p. 415, § 2; Ga. L. 1996, p. 416, § 7; Ga. L. 2002, p. 1094, § 5.)
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh and I almost forgot, sorry to burst your bubble Larry, but O.C.G.A.16-12-127 is still on the books. It just so happens that I have a hard copy of the 2007 annotated official GA code from lexis nexis (Which by the way is issued to just about every LE agency in the state) Here is what it says:

16-12-127. Prohibition on firearms, hazardous substances, knives, or other devices; penalty; affirmative defenses.

(a)  It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense, to:  
(b)  A person violating the provisions of this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than 20 years, a fine not to exceed $15,000.00, or both. A prosecution under this Code section shall not be barred by the imposition of a civil penalty imposed by any governmental entity.  
(c)  It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company.  

History
(Code 1981, § 16-12-127, enacted by Ga. L. 2002, p. 1094, § 5; Ga. L. 2003, p. 423, § 4.)

Annotations
Effective date. - This Code section became effective June 1, 2002.  

The 2003 amendment, effective June 1, 2003, added subsection (c).  

Editor's notes. - Ga. L. 2002, p. 1094, § 1, not codified by the General Assembly, provides that: "This Act shall be known and may be cited as the 'Transportation Security Act of 2002'."  

And just so there is no confusion over what a "terminal" is, here is the definition:

16-12-122. Definitions.

As used in this part, the term:  
(10) "Terminal" means an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle station, depot, any such transportation facility, or infrastructure relating thereto operated by a transportation company or governmental entity or authority. This term includes a reasonable area immediately adjacent to any designated stop along the route traveled by any coach or rail vehicle operated by a transportation company or governmental entity operating aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle transportation facility and parking lots or parking areas adjacent to a terminal.

And BTW, when it says "As used in this part.." it is referring to code sections 16-12-122 - 16-12-128

So it looks to me, according to the definition of a terminal, the WHOLE airport property would be off limits.

And if you still don't want to believe that Larry, then take comfort in the FACT that Hartsfield - Jackson IS owned and operated by the city of Atlanta, which would make it a "publicly owned or operated building" and thus off-limits by its own terms under the public gathering statute 16-11-127. Didn't you say that you pickup people in baggage claim with your pistol in a shoulder holster? Are you on this public website admitting to several people, including former LEOs, that you are willfully and intentionally breaking the law?Do us a favor now and turn in your GFL to the nearest probate court before you make bad examples out of all the people who have GFLs and who bust their balls to follow the letter of the law.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Jesus Christ.  Let's avoid the trash talk and name calling people.  Enough with the TROLL accounts also.  Mods...shut it down if you see fit.  Some of you guys are worse than kids.

-MEI
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Before this thread gets locked I would like to add a couple of comments.

1. ICP, I'm sure you probably had some good points to make, but with all the name calling and childish attacks, they were completely lost on me. I love a good debate as much as anyone, but could we please try to keep personal attacks out of it.

2. Although I probably will never convince you Larry , my personal experience with GCO has been great.
I have been having trouble with Henry co. probate court not following the law on issuing GFLs. I brought this to the attention of the admin. at GCO and within a matter of hours their lawyers were making phone calls and gathering information to help me with my situation.
You can look at their website and see for yourself all of the things they have accomplished on behalf of gun owners in the short time they have been around.
I cant think of any other organization that puts in the effort they have to help maintain and restore the rights of gun owners in GA. I commend them for the work they are doing and would suggest that anyone who cares about their RTKBA become a member.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Look a few posts up and you will see a poster telling another to "shut the f*** up" and also you have Larry cursing in his posts, yet I get singled out and told to edit my posts because I used the word "douche". I didn't tell anyone to shut the f up, nor did I use curse words in my posts. Talk about calling the kettle black....
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Let's see, will I be charged with a felony if I carry on a bus in Houston, Texas, yes or no? Any charge at all? Oh, what, I am free to carry on public transit in Houston?

Will I be committing a felony in Texas when I walk past a bus stop on a public sidewalk?

What about walking into the airport building to pick up the mother in law in the baggage area (where they keep the "old bags")?

What about a dangerous Marta parking lot (or whatever the equivalent is in Houston)?

Will I be arrested for walking too near a group of teenagers "hanging out" in a parking lot talking and eating - in Houston, Texas?

State parks?

Historic sites?

Wildlife managment areas?

Restaurants that serve alcohol?

What about in my car 200 yards away from a church or a restaurant?

For each of these questions, the answer in Texas is - no crime, go about your business.  In Georgia, each of these is a crime, punishable by from one year in jail (for the misdemeanors) to 20 years in prison (for the terrrible offense of being in the Marta parking lot or coming too close to a bus stop).

I would say that the laws do not compare very favorably at all

Well, LARRYG, I am back after a full weekend.  You had the whole weekend, uninterrupted by me even once, and all you could manage was to assert, without any evidence, that you managed to get away with carrying a loaded firearm at some unspecified time in the airport in Atlanta without getting arrested.

Of course, I offered to film this, so you can back it up for the readers, but you decline.

I also provided a list, above, of carry restrictions in Georgia that I do not believe exist in Texas.  This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the restrictions in Georgia, as there are many, many more.  There are even felonies that do not appear on that list above.

So far, LARRYG has not answered even one of the items on that list.  He simply stated that somebody in Texas told him "all government property is off limits."

All you have to do is give us a code section, LARRYG.

I already gave you the airport (public transportation) code sections for Georgia.  For everybody else who got lost in the shuffle, they are O.C.G.A. 16-11-123, 127, and look at the definition of "terminal" in 122, which includes the entire building, the parking lots, and bus stops (any designated stop along the route and a reasonable distance adjacent thereto).

To people reading here, please do not follow LARRYG's advice without reading those code sections for yourself, as LARRYG is not going to serve your felony prison time for you.

LARRYG, I can also give you the code sections (or case law) for each of the ones in the list above, in case you do not know them (although I already provided some of them back on pages 2 and 3).

Although you have made a number of naked assertions, you have not provided any support for any statement related to even a single thing listed.  What you heard from a friend in Texas, and what you say you did at some time in the airport (that you now refuse to verify for the people reading here) is really not support for what you say.

I apologize to those of you who thought the thread was out of control, but these public transportation laws are felony charges in Georgia, with penalites of up to 20 years in prison for offenses as simple as possessing a gun in your glovebox at a parking lot of a Marta station.

I could not let LARRYG's bad advice go unanswered - if it could result in one Georgian getting arrested on a felony.

Please do your own research and do not simply rely on what some guy says on the internet (me or LARRYG)/
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Quoted:
Got a job in Atlanta, GA.  Moving there soon.  What do I need to know about CCW.  I have an Indiana CCW license right now.  I don't plan on obtaining a GA license if I don't have to do so.

packing.org is down right now...so i'll take whatever I can get from the locals of GA.

Thanks guys/gals.

-MEI

MEI, your Indiana license will be no good once you establish residency here in Georgia.  As a result, if you want to carry, you need to obtain a Georgia license.  The information for applying at your local county probate court is available here at the Firearms License Beginner's Guide.

In addition, you should be aware that Georgia's list of off limits restrictions is much, much larger than Indiana.  You can compare them by taking a look at Georgia's list of Places Off Limits.

I hope this is more helpful to you than the exchange between LARRYG and me.  houldGCO has been actively (and successfully) getting rid of these throughout the state - one by one.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#46]
LarryG is correct.
FWIW, I've bought about 4 handguns/rifles this year and all I needed was to show my license.  I have to update it this year, so I'll let you know how long it takes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
I have to update it this year, so I'll let you know how long it takes.

Which county?
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
Most states don't address it either way, but since most busses and trains are government property, the "government property" prohibition covers that.  The few states that do actually address it, Montana and Missouri, are almost verbatim what Georgia says.

Montana bans carry on trains only.  It is a misdemeanor.

You listed Missouri, as well (which I missed because of the way parking.org showed its places off limits hing
In addition, New Mexico places a bus off limits.

NONE of the above states place parking lots everything else off limits, not even Missouri (it is worded similarly to a Georgia statute, but not the one that places the buildings, parking lots, and even bus stops off limits under threat of 20 years in prison).  Oddly, the law in Missouri appears not to ban open carry on a bus, but there is no preemption for open carry, only concealed.  Weird.

Anyway, are you aware of any other states having laws addressing carry on mass transit?  If I missed one, there could be more . . .

Anybody else is welcome to chime in on this, too, if you are aware of such a law in your state (or any state).

I will put the information to good use.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top