Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think you have made my point.  Most people have not been given the “proper explanation”.  The fact that you say “Given a proper explanation” indicates to me you believe most are clueless and require an explanation before they would accept SBR’s/SBS’s are no big deal.  My contention is that lawmakers do not buy into to your reasoning; have not been introduced to your simple logic; and/or personally accept SB stuff as no big deal but worry about their actions being negatively perceived by voters because voters do not agree with or have not been introduced to your logic.

With all due respect, I'm not sure how I made your point.  The proper explanation is as simple as telling anyone (who didn't know already) the application procedure is essentially the same as to own a machine gun, which is legal in Michigan and these types of rifles and shotguns are legal in over 80% (estimate that I would have to confirm) of the other states in the US.  That easy.

I believe many firearms owners are clueless to the fact that there is even a minimum barrel length requirement, not just about SBR/SBS issues.  I also believe that many do not know that Class III firearms are legal in Michigan.  Is that their fault?  No.  I think the same people who have  a negative view on SBRs view all AR and AK type weapons as "evil assault weapons".  But, I'm a pessimist so maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Perhaps law makers are avoiding this issue as a CYA move.  Fine, that's their prerogative.  I would one day like to be pleasantly surprised and see one of them actually stick their neck out on an issue that the majority has no stake in just to help a group like us.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
While I'd like to think doing away with the safety inspection is a good thing I expect it may turn out to be a bad thing if the Senate "compromises" with the MSP and the House. I say this because as Kerry - Michman 1 has said in his separate posting that the House version enables the MSP to place our handgun purchases into the LEIN database.

Now the LEIN database is reserved for criminal background on a person. Does placing the handguns we buy into the LEIN database make us pseudo criminals or potential threats because we have exercised a constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

Right now I'm leaning against the whole thing because we're not getting anything out of it and the potential is there to compile an automated handgun registration database on us with our very own support. The potential for abuse by LE is huge. They've done similar things in Kalifornia. I believe its called a threat display linked into squad cars. I'm wondering if this is what they're really after?

EXAMPLE:
For instance - lets say you call 911 for help at home and they run your address and the LEIN comes up - warning - owner in possession of 39 handguns. Who are they gonna send the paramedics or SWAT?

This legislation could turn into a major intrusion for the average Michigan gun owner.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think you have made my point.  Most people have not been given the “proper explanation”.  The fact that you say “Given a proper explanation” indicates to me you believe most are clueless and require an explanation before they would accept SBR’s/SBS’s are no big deal.  My contention is that lawmakers do not buy into to your reasoning; have not been introduced to your simple logic; and/or personally accept SB stuff as no big deal but worry about their actions being negatively perceived by voters because voters do not agree with or have not been introduced to your logic.

With all due respect, I'm not sure how I made your point.  The proper explanation is as simple as telling anyone (who didn't know already) the application procedure is essentially the same as to own a machine gun, which is legal in Michigan and these types of rifles and shotguns are legal in over 80% (estimate that I would have to confirm) of the other states in the US.  That easy.
I believe many firearms owners are clueless to the fact that there is even a minimum barrel length requirement, not just about SBR/SBS issues.  I also believe that many do not know that Class III firearms are legal in Michigan.  Is that their fault?  No.  I think the same people who have  a negative view on SBRs view all AR and AK type weapons as "evil assault weapons".  But, I'm a pessimist so maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Perhaps law makers are avoiding this issue as a CYA move.  Fine, that's their prerogative.  I would one day like to be pleasantly surprised and see one of them actually stick their neck out on an issue that the majority has no stake in just to help a group like us.  

AFAIK, that has not been done.  Legislators realize this.  Legislators primary mission in life is re-election.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top