Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 10:17:41 PM EDT
https://www.theitem.com/stories/carl-marks-simpson-iii,413859?

Over the past five years or so Carl had been seen less and less. I kind of figured it wouldn't be much longer.

The store chain is in very capable hands and business will continue as usual. Still,
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, didn't realize he was 82. I haven't been in the store frequently in the past year or so, but I had seen him a couple times during those visits.

He started a hardware store empire in the area that responded well to what his customers wanted.

Although I didn't know him, he appeared to be a hard working, honest, and fair businessman. He spoke if you spoke. Smiled otherwise in passing by.

RIP Mr. Simpson
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
When the original large store at Palmetto Plaza burned to the ground in '99 Carl kept his employees on the payroll including health insurance. He immediately opened a temporary store in a vacated Piggly Wiggly next to the fairgrounds and stocked it with the stuff the other two stores didn't: all the sporting goods stuff. Then while the new location was being built on Wesmark he moved his temporary store just down the street to what is now Big! Lots. Again, sporting goods, reopened the gun counter, and other high volume items. The "big store" opened about the time the lease at Wesmark Plaza ended.

As I said, during the last decade he was in the store less and less and then he wasn't there at all and handed responsibility to an employee who has from what I can tell done an exemplary job esp. with the opening of the newest store in Lake City.

I was in the Wesmark store this morning taking the dog in for her daily treats. It was busy but also very quiet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the employee Chip?
He has had many roles within the organization and he has always been good to me no matter what dept he was over.

Or one of his family? I didn't know them at all even tho I may have had interactions with them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
No, not Chip but he's still around. I'm referring to Jeremy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
it's good that he's got someone capable of taking it over.

The ace hardware here in my hometown had potential to be a place like that, but when the former owner sold it - it lasted maybe 8 more years. Now is a funeral home and the only hardware store in town is run by people who know where things are on the shelf but don't have any know how to fix anything.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My dad bought a Mossberg 500 there around 2010 because he couldn't find one locally.  I always enjoyed looking around in that ACE as a kid, when we were in the area.

Rest in peace, Mr. Simpson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top