Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2023 10:27:14 PM EDT
Hello all,

I’ve been trying to find and answer to this question and to say it’s confusing would be generous.  

If I have an 80% lower that I’ve purchased/finished/assembled from a couple of years ago, what are the legal requirements for ownership in OR?   I know there are things pending, that might change ownership in the future.  I just want to know what I would need to do to follow the laws.  

Do I need to have it serialized?  If so, what are the requirements for that?  Or am I ok to own it as long as I don’t plan on selling it?  

Very confusing.   Thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

-Matt
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are in the same situation as many. There is a date, sept 2024??? Can’t remember, by which you would need to get it serialized. I am hoping that this will get shot down before that date hits. Regardless I will wait till the last minute to do it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSadPatriot] [#2]
That's not my understanding.

Serial added if transferred or shows up at a dealer; but thats federal.

HB2005 looks like even owning a finished 80% requires a serial number....not sure how that meets federal laws.

-TSP
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's also my understanding that we're still able to purchase 80's and have them shipped into Oregon up until the September 2024 date, correct.

Then afterwards it's a no go unless through an FFL and serialized.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mc_Gruff:
It's also my understanding that we're still able to purchase 80's and have them shipped into Oregon up until the September 2024 date, correct.

Then afterwards it's a no go unless through an FFL and serialized.
View Quote

Unless they changed the bill, I read it like a week ago, they banned importing, making, finishing a 80% lower immediately, the only thing they gave until September 2024 was possession. To give you time to destroy them. I understood it that the only way you could keep them was if a licensed manufacturer marked them. Then they'd legally be the manufacturer. Good luck getting anybody to do that.

If you think I'm wrong, post the wording in the bill/new law that you think allows you to keep anything or to continue buying more.

I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AASG:

Unless they changed the bill, I read it like a week ago, they banned importing, making, finishing a 80% lower immediately, the only thing they gave until September 2024 was possession. To give you time to destroy them. I understood it that the only way you could keep them was if a licensed manufacturer marked them. Then they'd legally be the manufacturer. Good luck getting anybody to do that.

If you think I'm wrong, post the wording in the bill/new law that you think allows you to keep anything or to continue buying more.

I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.
View Quote

That's going to go over as well as the bump fire stock ban and probably be followed just as well.

Does it only mention 80%? Be interested in if it's specifically 80% and with a 0-79% build can skirt around it until it gets thrown out or just publicly ignored.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

That's going to go over as well as the bump fire stock ban and probably be followed just as well.

Does it only mention 80%? Be interested in if it's specifically 80% and with a 0-79% build can skirt around it until it gets thrown out or just publicly ignored.
View Quote

With yesterdays ruling on frames and receivers I think this will be easy to shoot down in court. As long as it’s a court outside the pockets of the state.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

With yesterdays ruling on frames and receivers I think this will be easy to shoot down in court. As long as it’s a court outside the pockets of the state.
View Quote

Hope so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top