Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2023 11:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans]
Non-Res CCW
Used to have a MA non-res CCW about 20 years ago.  Let it lapse.  Called the MA firearms office today and they have no record of me at all.    Should I disclose the existence of that old permit and just apply new?  Or since they don't have any record, just apply new and stay silent about it?

Passing through with NFA
The entire purpose for the ccw permit is because I'll be passing through with some NFA stuff to an event in NH.  I asked the guy whether I'd need a MA MG license.  He said I couldn't even enter MA with a MG because MG licenses aren't given to non-residents.  (He also didn't know what a Destructive Device was either.)  The man also said that FOPA didn't matter in MA, which is a new one on me.  Anybody know anything about this?  I'm planning to do ...-PA-NY-CT-MA-NH, but I can alter that to ...-PA-NY-VT-NH if that's wiser.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#1]
As far as the non-resident LTC goes, it’s a yearly renewal so you will need to apply.
Depending on how long ago you had a license you might need to take a class by someone certified to do so. No just any NRA class is good enough.

FOPA is a legal defense for certain things regardless of what some idiot with the state claims. FOPA is a very short and shitty law pertaining to firearms. It protects you for firearms. There is nothing in the law that says anything about magazines, ammunition, suppressors, or any other NFA item and that’s how places like MA and NY would go after you.
However, the law may be on your side and you may win in the end, but that doesn’t mean you would have a long, painful and expensive ride along the way if for some reason you get caught, wether it’s legal or illegal.

It sucks to deal with but have you considered shipping the items to yourself at each legal state? Guns shouldn’t be an issue but if you’re talking about destructive devices that could be it’s own issue.
Even hazmat is restricted from going through the tunnels  in Boston. That said, bury it in your car, cover everything to keep it out of sight and go about your business quietly.

@LenS might be more helpful with specific details.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#2]
@steve8140

Some of this stuff is too big to ship.  

Sounds like I really have to do some thinking about the best way to go about doing this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
FRB does not have lawyers on staff, so whoever you spoke with is no expert on Mass gun laws.

Everyone that wasn't a LTC/FID holder in June 1998 (grandfather clause) has to take a course given by a MSP Certified Instructor, so "just taking any NRA course" with any instructor won't work. If they can't find their records, you will likely have to take a course. This is a one and done issue. Otherwise, the application each year isn't any different for new vs. renewal.

My expertise is on MA gun laws regarding conventional weapons. I don't have expertise in Class 3 devices, so I can't tell you if FOPA covers bringing them thru the state or not, sorry.

The process to get a NR LTC seems to be 4-6 months each year, and can be longer if you have to go for an interview (prints are taken the first time since 1998).

MA does recognize FOPA, at least for conventional weapons, etc. but keeping everything buried while transiting MA and keeping your speed down in a car where there are no safety defects, should get you thru without issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By prebans:
Non-Res CCW
Used to have a MA non-res CCW about 20 years ago.  Let it lapse.  Called the MA firearms office today and they have no record of me at all.    Should I disclose the existence of that old permit and just apply new?  Or since they don't have any record, just apply new and stay silent about it?

Passing through with NFA
The entire purpose for the ccw permit is because I'll be passing through with some NFA stuff to an event in NH.  I asked the guy whether I'd need a MA MG license.  He said I couldn't even enter MA with a MG because MG licenses aren't given to non-residents.  (He also didn't know what a Destructive Device was either.)  The man also said that FOPA didn't matter in MA, which is a new one on me.  Anybody know anything about this?  I'm planning to do ...-PA-NY-CT-MA-NH, but I can alter that to ...-PA-NY-VT-NH if that's wiser.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
View Quote

When you apply, you are going to have to disclose the old permit.  

There is a process for non-residents to obtain a temporary machine gun license, however it is only available for non-residents who are employees of machine gun manufacturers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Hrm.  Sounds like I'll be passing through at a WEIRD hour or risking NY.

Neither sounds great.

Thank you for all of your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top