Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2023 12:13:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave]
February 17th /18th: Lead Mine Conservation Area; Tunas, MO

There is one camp site on the map with a privy. That is the location. https://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/2023-09/8024map.pdf

Tentative Schedule;

Saturday 17th:

Noon - 4pm: Training session on the basics of handheld radios, HF radios, antennas and radio wave propagation.

4pm - 5pm: Construction of field antennas. This will depend on the number of people who show up. We will build one or more antennas out of a US Army field manual. Either a VHF Jungle Antenna or an HF dipole. Maybe both.

5pm-6pm: Use of HF Radio to make voice and data contacts. We will be trying to setup scheduled contacts with APC folks from other states. Or maybe we will just talk to random people, who knows. lol

6pm: Dinner.

After dinner: Optional Night Vision Hike.

Sunday 18th:

Breakfast at dawn

9am: 6 mile Hike. (The standards set by APC are 35lb plus rifle or 45lb with no rifle in 2 hours.) Even if you do not think you can meet this standard, please join us for the shared experience of hiking and fellowship.

Lunch after hike.

Maybe some people will go to the shooting range on location after lunch.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in a printed reference guide to accompany the training material, please post that you want that, so I know how much printed material to bring.

All material necessary to build the field antennas will be provided by me. If you happen to have about 100 feet of speaker wire or some random, thin wire, let me know and bring that. We can use it I am sure.

If you do not have a ham radio license, do not worry, you will be able to participate 100% without one.

Any further questions, let me know.

Cross posted in Missouri HTF for further updates and details: https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/APC-Hike-Radio-Training-Event-2-17-and-2-18/32-671998/
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#1]
APC Folks in other states;

Radio windows will begin 2/17/24 2300 UTC.

I am going to see who we can get committed to trying to make contact before determining frequencies and times.

They will be posted later.

Plan on SSB and JS8 Call.

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:

Going to be an event same day in Tucson. Challenge accepted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
APC Folks in other states;

Radio windows will begin 2/17/24 2300 UTC.

I am going to see who we can get committed to trying to make contact before determining frequencies and times.

They will be posted later.

Plan on SSB and JS8 Call.

Going to be an event same day in Tucson. Challenge accepted.

We will plan on a 2300 UTC Window for SSB on 15m Primary and 17m secondary.

VOACAP predictions for that day/time for our location to Tucson.

Attachment Attached File

I will update a full list of time/frequ/mode once I get some time. We have some people within 200 miles and on both coasts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#4]
Unless someone makes additional requests this will be the plan.

Attachment Attached File

@greendragon

Eta: If voice frequ are not clear, I will start at the top of the band and dial down until the first usable frequ is heard on that band.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try out whatever you have in mind. I doubt we will connect on 17m at all, not sure about 15m.

I can tune up between 10 and 80. You know what works best between us on SSB.

For JS8, lmk what you're thinking. I can have msgs preloaded for retrieval by you or other stations.  You can use my station as a relay to hit others.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
We must've been typing at the same, i just saw your last. Sounds good, I'll mark it down.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I should be available both dates.  I'll put it on the calendar and turn the radio on.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for people wanting to make radio contact this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top