Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2023 10:01:06 PM EDT
This will be an introduction to navigating with a compass, protractor and map.  This is a significant portion of the Warfighter Challenge, and the goal is to get individuals comfortable with navigating using only a compass and protractor.

There will be a refresher and basic introduction beforehand.

Location and Time
Saturday May 6th Starting at 14:00.

Google Maps coordinates 39.3669785, -105.2461592

Required Equipment
-Lensatic or orienting style compass
-1:25 Map Protractor
-Map Pens
-Map Will be provided

Highly recommend studying beforehand, and below are the resources I used prior to the WFC.

https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/mgrs/quick_guide

https://randallsadventure.com/sites/default/files/rat-sar-land-nav.pdf

Now if you show up totally green and don’t know how to read coordinates or find points on a map can you still succeed?

Maybe, but it’ll be easier if you have a basic understanding of the concepts.

If you would like to attend IT IS CRITICAL YOU RSVP beforehand so we can have a map for you and set points.

Email ([email protected]), IM me or respond to this thread if you are interested.

Afterwards we will be having a Night shoot in a different location.  Details will be provided at the event.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
@cobullseye
@Lomshek
@cmsnare
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
@warsparrow
@shootindave
@dashender
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
@GordonFreeman1
@HighPlains1911
@wammel
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
@lurkking
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
Gonna have to let you peeps enjoy this one without me.

Hopefully able to do some soon.  Just got another steroid injection in the knee.
View Quote

I was seriously looking forward to "Lessons from Lomshek"!!!  Hoping you heal up/get well soon. We need you more than you know!

This is looking to be a 11 hour drive or so minimum for me, would make it pretty challenging to attend.

Anyone willing to carpool? Any TX/MO APC guys planning on attending and interested in a car pool to make this happen?

Meet in KS and carpool to the event?

The more going to APC events the merrier!

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Also a pretty long drive for me...... about 9 hours one way. Not sure I can swing it logistically.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Am am hoping to make it, though I can't confirm yet (sorry I know thats not helpful).

Would the night shoot be that night? As that obviously means I need to budget more time, and have more equipment with me.

And are there restrictions for the night shoot? Currently I'm using m855, but I know steel core is not ok everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh and has anyone had eyes on the conditions at that altitude?

First time I went camping in the mountains this time of year, I was not expecting the ground to be covered in 18" of snow. Ski season is still open up at 10k ft.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wammel:
Oh and has anyone had eyes on the conditions at that altitude?

First time I went camping in the mountains this time of year, I was not expecting the ground to be covered in 18" of snow. Ski season is still open up at 10k ft.
View Quote

Well if there's white on the ground the orange flags will be a lot easier to find.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmsnare] [#12]
Should be good for weather, though may be a little muddy based on storm this weekend.

M855 or steel jacketed projos are a big no go for night shoot, as well be using steel targets and will be out doors.

Subject to NCLegal's opinion, we could do white light and nods, so if you're considering coming but don't have NV, don't let that stop you....good chance to see what the hype is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
@cobullseye
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I should be attending the day event, I'm less certain about the night shoot.

Is there interest in carpooling?
How late is the night shoot likely to go?
And are there camping options?

I should be at the hike on the 30th if anyone will be at that and wants to make plans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#15]
As of right, I can do the land nav. Staying late for the shoot is probably off the table, but let me see what I can do with my schedule on Sunday.

One question before a full yes, I don't have any hikes done because I missed the last denver hike. Can I still get signed off on the land nav if I come down for this?

Nvm that part. I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]
If anyone is coming from KC / Lawrence / ETC, shoot me a message/email. Thx
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone needing a compass for themselves, amazon is clearing out the Silva 2.0 Ranger at about half price.

Silva Ranger 2.0 Compass https://a.co/d/gN4XCOS

Link left cold
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Also if you are planning on shooting, DO NOT BRING STEEL OR GREEN TIP AMMO.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Anyone needing a compass for themselves, amazon is clearing out the Silva 2.0 Ranger at about half price.

Silva Ranger 2.0 Compass https://a.co/d/gN4XCOS

Link left cold
View Quote

I should have got one. I ordered the cammenga one thru cabelas that should have been delivered at the start of the month, of course its not. I will have to make a standard baseplate one work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to all who made it out.

Full AAR to come.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:27:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Oh yes. Many more to come.

Any pictures?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Great. If there are any with faces that are ok with being on social media, that'd be great too- though we will take what we can get.
View Quote

@Notcalifornialegal

I'm not that scared of showing my face I suppose. If there are any that have me in it, and @Ben wants to use it for social media, then I give my permission for that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#25]
Wanted to thank all those who made it out.  You all came prepared and did an exceptional job.

Weather was perfect.  We had a total of 6 folks including myself make it out, and everyone found ALL of their points.

To start there was a brief review of how to plot points and how to add and subtract declination.

After everyone was comfortable and had their points plotted we moved to find our first practice point.

This was designed as an easy point and was found just 100 meters from the road.

Our next task was to triangulate our position by taking two azimuths using long scraggly peak as one of points.

After triangulating our position we plotted our second point and walked to our next point by following and angle based on our position.

It was found in relatively short order and after this final group task everyone split off to find each of their three points.

Overall it went as well as could be asked outside of a few transcription errors on my behalf.

Afterwards, four of us left to practice with nods for the first time.

2 out of our group had never used nods before... and the response was... the typical response to using nods for the first time.  

We discussed focus, gain, passive and active aiming and generally just had a good time.

Thanks again to everyone who made it out, especially @cmsnare for coming up the morning of to help out.

We have decided that we will be hosting an event later this year for those who would like to complete the task in the task book.  Stay tuned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top