Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 11:56:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alphajaguars]
We are going to be doing a ruck in the Uwharrie on 4/13. Meeting up at 9:45am for a 10am start time. We’re looking to do a couple of things with this event.

1. Build camaraderie. Shared experiences help bond people together, and getting out into nature is one of the best ways.

2. Scout the area to set up a land nav course for future events.

Our meet up point is the Robbins Branch Trailhead. Ruck weight is up to you, packing list is up to you. We’re doing a 6 mile loop with the intention of completing it in 2 hours or less.

So long as the weather is nice, we’ll do a brief intro to land nav before we start the ruck - terrain features, reading a map, pace count, using a compass. Bring what you have as I don’t have loaner compasses or map protractors, but I can supply maps of the area.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
@FreeFallRet
@DarkLordVader
@Philmore
@JasonD
@TheTower
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
@jdsbusa
@ARguy
@UH_SALT_RIFLE
@qualityhardware
@Ammon
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
@2apatriot
@wparkinson
@glock-23
@Seanquigley
@skinny79
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
@ForestRegion
@jafrush
@shortbed
@Ho­­­nda4828
@jmdz4
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
@NCJeeper76
@DistanceX
@ridgedaddy
@shortbed
@crackerbill69
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
@SprinklesMC
@DV8
@oldbrowndog
@dubbel_tap69
@DesignatedMarksman
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
@Brundoggie
@mitchellh
@Duck_Hunt
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#8]
can't make it

CAP will be doing a annual SAREX at lake Norman state park.

I will be home with a ground search and rescue team or right seat in our search plane.

Last CAP weekend event

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Out there getting

I can’t wait until you get a break from that and can share what you’ve learned with us
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Free bump.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
Out there getting

I can't wait until you get a break from that and can share what you've learned with us
View Quote
Thanks,
 Yea just got back from a three day event, next weekend is our weekend conference and then the following Tuesday we are leaving for Europe for two weeks.

Two days after I get back we have a weekend Encampment staff training event, SAREX the weekend of the march and the last weekend another three day wilderness training event.

My kid is now the star of the Squadron web page.

One day I will get a break
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
He’s killing it for sure
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
He's killing it for sure
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
That retirement's keeping you busy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#15]
He could never stay retired for long
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ncjeeper76:
I'll be there. A small group of us had already planned a hike-in overnight trip the same time and place.  We are planning on going about 2 miles in and camp.
I'm planning on hiking with y'all and meeting back up with my group afterwards.  Just wondering, are you planning on hiking the loop clockwise or counter clockwise?
View Quote

I was planning on counterclockwise
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#18]
If you don’t have a protractor, This is a fantastic deal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunately I'm working all that weekend. I want to say thanks for continuing to @ me in these threads. I have not made it to an event in several years, I have been super busy with life but I want to get back out. I also definitely need to work on some land nav skills. Uwharrie is also a bit of a haul from me, it would be great to find a group of people in the central/eastern NC area.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have a good area in mind for having an event?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#21]
View Quote

Off the top of my head, Umstead state park is on the west side of Raleigh. It would be suitable for a ruck and probably some land nav, and would be easier to get to for you guys more west since it is not on the other side of Raleigh. There is also a large gravel trail in the Cary area that myself and another member met up at and did a ruck at, that would be suitable for that. I'll have to look into some other locations.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:

Off the top of my head, Umstead state park is on the west side of Raleigh. It would be suitable for a ruck and probably some land nav, and would be easier to get to for you guys more west since it is not on the other side of Raleigh. There is also a large gravel trail in the Cary area that myself and another member met up at and did a ruck at, that would be suitable for that. I'll have to look into some other locations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:

I’d be down to travel that way
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
10 days out

You ready to have some fun?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#24]
6 days out
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Weather is looking much drier than the last one
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Free bump. My son has a wrestling tournament so I can’t make it but I’m still looking forward to eventually meeting you guys. The weather looks outstanding for tomorrow, have fun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#27]
That was a great time!

I’ll hit up an AAR later tonight or tomorrow and get the thread up for next months event
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Little late on the AAR, but such is life.

Had a great time. Met up with @ncjeeper76 and a group of his friends for a nice stroll through the woods. We went over some of the basics of land nav with the MGRS system vs the maps with no real reference system like a road atlas, magnetic to grid and true north conversions, using a protractor to creat a 6 to 8 digit grid coordinate, and major terrain features.

A good time was had by all and lessons were learned (I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new pair of boots a size smaller ).

Keep your eyes open as we are planning more fun stuff to come!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Next event is Here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top