Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2024 1:44:08 PM EDT
So I was surprised to see there is no topic about the horrible fire that swept through Lahaina last year.

We are heading to Maui in 6 months. The last overhead satellite image I saw of Lahaina indicates that at least 50-60% of structures in the Lahaina area have been destroyed. I don't imagine much progress rebuilding will have been made by July 2024.

We are staying in Kaanapali, so a mile or so N of the burn area.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By djkest:
So I was surprised to see there is no topic about the horrible fire that swept through Lahaina last year.

We are heading to Maui in 6 months. The last overhead satellite image I saw of Lahaina indicates that at least 50-60% of structures in the Lahaina area have been destroyed. I don't imagine much progress rebuilding will have been made by July 2024.

We are staying in Kaanapali, so a mile or so N of the burn area.
View Quote

Clean up is still going on to remove hazardous materials.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Kaanapali and everything north of there are fine
A very few businesses in Lahaina town escaped the fire and are slowy reopening
Entry to the burn area is still restricted to residents and they have just started to clear the burn debris
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supercomp] [#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:43:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By supercomp:
Kaanapali and everything north of there are fine
A very few businesses in Lahaina town escaped the fire and are slowy reopening
Entry to the burn area is still restricted to residents and they have just started to clear the burn debris
View Quote

Yes, we are staying in Kaanapali.

It's kind of sad how slowly everything is moving (for residents and for visitors), but I shouldn't be surprised. Hawaii has never been "efficient" about anything.
We are going to try and patronize Lahaina businesses if we can.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Please be respectful of everyone on the westside that helps you, the hotel staff, servers, store clerks, etc.  everyone has been affected by the fire, they have lost loved one, lost their homes, lost their jobs, people that live outside of the burn zone have suffered also.  Everyone one of them is trying to keep it together and move forward as best they can, and the one complaint they have is tourists asking them ether out of genuine concern or just being nosy if they were affected by the fire all damn day, every day and it getting old.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Please be respectful of everyone on the westside that helps you, the hotel staff, servers, store clerks, etc.  everyone has been affected by the fire, they have lost loved one, lost their homes, lost their jobs, people that live outside of the burn zone have suffered also.  Everyone one of them is trying to keep it together and move forward as best they can, and the one complaint they have is tourists asking them ether out of genuine concern or just being nosy if they were affected by the fire all damn day, every day and it getting old.
View Quote

Yep, I already heard about it, and seen the discussions done to exhaustion.

Last time we were there, we took a snorkel cruise out of Lahaina harbor. We plan to do so again, and it appears they are open for business. However, the docks are right in the middle of the burn zone, so I will have to contact the company and see what they recommend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
They may be launching from Mala wharf which is behind Safeway or right from kaanapali beach, there are several catamaran that beach themselves to pickup guests
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
They may be launching from Mala wharf which is behind Safeway or right from kaanapali beach, there are several catamaran that beach themselves to pickup guests
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do, don't take Redline out of Kihei.  They do a lame ass shallow snorkel within swimming distance of the boat ramp.  Nice folks but a rip off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]
We will be using Ultimate Whale Watch & Snorkel.  We used them last time and loved it.

After the Lahaina fire, they spent over a month shuttling food and supplies from Kihei to Lahaina. (Although they did get a grant to pay for gas)
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

You're right, they are using Mala Wharf
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
We will be using Ultimate Whale Watch & Snorkel.  We used them last time and loved it.

After the Lahaina fire, they spent over a month shuttling food and supplies from Kihei to Lahaina. (Although they did get a grant to pay for gas)
View Quote

It was amazing how the entire island and eventually the entire state pulled together to get supplies to Lahaina, the day after the fire all the major retailer had a run on bottled water, non perishable food, toilet paper, diapers etc. that all went to collection sites for the west Maui relief.  The main road into Lahaina was closed for weeks and the only way in was helicopter, boat or drive on the goat trail they call a highway thru kauhakuloa.
The one thing about the relief effort that I wonder about is why didn’t the governor ask for help from the military, Pearl is 100 miles away, so is Hickam, Schofield barracks and Kaneohe Bay Marine corp air station. An amphibious assault ship loaded with relief supplies parked off Lahaina would have been a welcome sight, chinooks over fly Maui all the time, why didn’t they use those to fly in supplies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]

It was amazing how the entire island and eventually the entire state pulled together to get supplies to Lahaina, the day after the fire all the major retailer had a run on bottled water, non perishable food, toilet paper, diapers etc. that all went to collection sites for the west Maui relief.  The main road into Lahaina was closed for weeks and the only way in was helicopter, boat or drive on the goat trail they call a highway thru kauhakuloa.
The one thing about the relief effort that I wonder about is why didn’t the governor ask for help from the military, Pearl is 100 miles away, so is Hickam, Schofield barracks and Kaneohe Bay Marine corp air station. An amphibious assault ship loaded with relief supplies parked off Lahaina would have been a welcome sight, chinooks over fly Maui all the time, why didn’t they use those to fly in supplies.
View Quote

Hawaii Army National Guard has a unit with Chinooks and they weren't used either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The folks in Lahaina said they should fly Ukraine flags, then maybe they’d help from the government
When the president showed up, there were a bunch of residents lining the highway yelling FJB
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]

View Quote

Yeah. Here's the thing about the military too and especially the National Guard. Relief efforts like these are actually great training as well. Pilots get flight hours and get to run missions. Logistics guys get to actually do something. It would have been so easy to get the National Guard to help. That is what the National Guard is for!

When I was in the national guard our Governor called us up to help with wildfires. We brought the firefighers food, water, and medivac.  They also used us to guard the airports after 9/11.

I might be speaking out of turn here, but from THIS outsider's perspective, your leadership has failed you time and time again. I think some big changes should be made in the next few years. Again, I am just an outsider.

Also Biden has spent enough on Ukraine to completely rebuild Lahaina 10x over.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Yeah. Here's the thing about the military too and especially the National Guard. Relief efforts like these are actually great training as well. Pilots get flight hours and get to run missions. Logistics guys get to actually do something. It would have been so easy to get the National Guard to help. That is what the National Guard is for!

When I was in the national guard our Governor called us up to help with wildfires. We brought the firefighers food, water, and medivac.  They also used us to guard the airports after 9/11.

I might be speaking out of turn here, but from THIS outsider's perspective, your leadership has failed you time and time again. I think some big changes should be made in the next few years. Again, I am just an outsider.

Also Biden has spent enough on Ukraine to completely rebuild Lahaina 10x over.
View Quote

Agreed.

Which is why I moved to NC last month after 38 years in Hawaii.

That and the cost of living.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
There were leadership failures everywhere, the moment the fire started Lahaina town was doomed. Lahaina was and still is surrounded by tall grass that dries out in the summer and burns like crazy. If they had just cut and maintained  wide firebreak around the town that tragedy probably wouldn’t have happened.  The really fuck up part is the same thing happened 5 years ago during hurricane Lane, the only difference was the wind blew the fire away from Lahaina town and burned a few houses.  Instead of using it as a wake up call and work on prevention, they went back to business as usual.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#18]
My outside opinion on local politics is that many people seem to be more concerned with how Hawaiian candidates are and how long their family has been on the island rather than being a selfless and effective leader. Bonus points for Hawaiian name and very tan skin. Japanese is an acceptable substitute.

Cultural nepotism.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
My outside opinion on local politics is that many people seem to be more concerned with how Hawaiian candidates are and how long their family has been on the island rather than being a selfless and effective leader. Bonus points for Hawaiian name and very tan skin. Japanese is an acceptable substitute.

Cultural nepotism.
View Quote

A multi-syllabic last name ending in a vowel.

Like Blangiardi
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Not quite
Hawaii politics is more based on your pedigree in the Democratic Party and not on who you know, but on who knows you
Nepotism at its finest, nobody likes the high taxes, cost of living, the younger generation moving away for better opportunities and yet they keep voting the same dumbasses back in office.
It’s so bad, we re-elected a congresswoman who was isolated in the hospital and “getting better” who died days after winning
Yep we elected dead people
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Not quite
Hawaii politics is more based on your pedigree in the Democratic Party and not on who you know, but on who knows you
Nepotism at its finest, nobody likes the high taxes, cost of living, the younger generation moving away for better opportunities and yet they keep voting the same dumbasses back in office.
It’s so bad, we re-elected a congresswoman who was isolated in the hospital and “getting better” who died days after winning
Yep we elected dead people
View Quote

Yep.  Which is why I moved to the mainland in December when I retired.

Multi-syllabic last name ending in a vowel:  Abercrombie

Neil got himself in trouble with the Dem party when he decided to run for governor instead of being appointed to Akaka's Senate role. Then he pissed off the teacher's union by saying they didn't need/deserve pay raises and now lives in exile in Manoa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top