Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 3:51:12 PM EDT
To all my fellow my fellow RBGC members --

I want to call your attention to the upcoming annual meeting and Annual Director (board member) election.

Luke Crawford is running for the open seat. I shoot with Luke and help RO the Precision Rifle Match he runs at River Bend. Luke has some GREAT goals for the growth of the club like advocating for the 1000 yard rifle range, and expanding archery range. This would be one of the most easily accessible 1000yd ranges in the state, and certainly the most accessible to metro ATL and north GA.

If you're a member, be sure to show up and vote for Luke at the annual meeting, or review and understand how to designate a proxy to vote on your behalf by visiting http://jbonemedia.com/voteforluke

See more from Luke Here:
Howdy, as many of you know, I am running for an annual director position at River Bend Gun Club.

You can find instructions on how to vote for me at the link below.

The current RBGC President, who attempted to shut down USPSA and has opposed building a 1,000-yard range, has already endorsed my opposition.

I hope you will join me in voting for a better future at RBGC, where Americans can come together to compete, have fun, and train to ensure the security of a free state as our founding fathers intended.

If you would like to know more about why I am running, call me anytime at

Thanks, Luke Crawford
View Quote

Thanks arfcom!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Where would the 1,000 yard range be located and at what cost?     I'd love it but .... I don't see us having the property to do so without eliminating one of the existing venues.  

The rumor mill suggests that USPSA issue involved some financial issues, aka the USPSA club had its own bank accounts and had squirreled away a small fortune .... which I believe lead to the following rule change noted in the March newsletter:

The Board approved the RBGC Event Revenue and Expense Report Committee’s recommendations. Highlights of the recommendations are to adopt a policy explicitly stating that match generated revenue belongs to the Club, not to the program that ran the match, and if that program retains some of those funds, it holds them for the benefit of the Club.  If a program is going to retain money, it should be allowed to do so only for long term capital expenses up to a specified maximum, and only after being expressly authorized by the Board or an officer or employee of the Club to whom that power has been delegated.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is the 1000yd range could be developed under the powerlines adjacent to cowboy hill (across the road, not over the parking lot).  It is currently under conservation easement as i understand it, but that will sunset and we can develop it for club use.  I may have some of those details out of line though.  Regardless, i've heard from several that there is space (land) that would acomodate 1000yd range

And yes, I do know that there was history with USPSA's growth of its own funding separately. I'm supportive of funding be leveraged toward enhancement of the club - specifically ranges.   More shooting venues is good in my mind.  Candidly, i also love the idea of expanding archery, as my daughter is very into archery.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gentleman4561] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mikefromphilly:
Where would the 1,000 yard range be located and at what cost?     I'd love it but .... I don't see us having the property to do so without eliminating one of the existing venues.  

The rumor mill suggests that USPSA issue involved some financial issues, aka the USPSA club had its own bank accounts and had squirreled away a small fortune .... which I believe lead to the following rule change noted in the March newsletter:

View Quote
The 1,000 yard range could be located in the woods adjacent to the power lines. It would not require the removal of any existing venues and would be an addition to the club.  The current board has refused to create a committee to look at the cost, but a group of members has already committed to donating $17,150 to the creation of a 1,000 yard range to help offset the cost to members.

The issues with USPSA were not related to finances, as a match director, every month we provide a financial report to the club that includes any funds that are held by the match. The treasurer, club manager and chief range officer all look at these and are aware of the funds held. The "funds" have always belonged to the club, the club just added some steps to the process to bring our financial reporting out of the stone ages.

The issue with USPSA was due to a small handful of members that did not like the set up taking place before the match, they were essentially used as pawns to try and eliminate the USPSA match.

Unfortunately the club is actively working to remove the GSSF match as we speak, a long running match at RBGC.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gentleman4561:

Unfortunately the club is actively working to remove the GSSF match as we speak, a long running match at RBGC.

View Quote

Why do they want to remove the GSSF match?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By trisax62:

Why do they want to remove the GSSF match?
View Quote
I do not understand the intention, I have just been told that some club members are working to remove it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.
I live down by Columbus, Ga and it’s one of the GSSF matches I attend.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By trisax62:
Thanks.
I live down by Columbus, Ga and it’s one of the GSSF matches I attend.
View Quote

If you know members from that match, encourage them to either show up and vote for Luke, or file proxy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting rid of GSSF shoots is a really bad idea but the club can be very clique’y unfortunately. A 1000yd range would be amazing, I don’t think there’s anything like that anywhere in the East. It would also bring in additional competition options.

I don’t use the rifle/pistol ranges as much as I use Shotgun Hill now but more options are better than less. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:58:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikefromphilly] [#9]
Thank you for the background.

Here's a map of RBGC's ownership.  I think we'd have to acquire more land ($1.2M) in case of overflight of the rounds, plus another $1M for grading, etc.   A big investment.   The river limits our expansion south and east.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mikefromphilly:
Thank you for the background.

Here's a map of RBGC's ownership.  I think we'd have to acquire more land ($1.2M) in case of overflight of the rounds, plus another $1M for grading, etc.   A big investment.   The river limits our expansion south and east.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31426/RBGC_Map_JPG-3176967.JPG
View Quote
We would not have to acquire more land or do any serious grading due to the topography. We would need minor grading for a flat area to drop a shipping container to use as a shooting platform similar to how Arena, Alabama Precision, K&M etc. do things.

It will certainly be an expensive project, but no where near as expensive as past ranges that the club has developed.

In addition, we already have a grading company that has offered to donate their time.

The biggest cost will be clearing trees, I was hoping to put together a committee to further research this topic so that we could get some definite numbers on cost to clear the land, figure out if any opportunity existed to sell timber (doubtful) etc.

With your knowledge of the club I think you could be very helpful with this (most members don't even know that a 1,000 yard has been proposed many times over the past decade).

Feel free to send me an email, [email protected], I have quite a bit of information on the subject after our conversations with GA power, timber companies etc. I would love to get your take on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Cost to the club could be negligible regardless.  Taking a more proactive approach to revenue generation outside of membership dues could be game changing for the future stability of the club, and future development.  Professionally I run a consulting company that manage capital campaign projects for nonprofits all over the country.  After reviewing 990 filings and looking at member survey results, RBGC is almost certainly missing out on revenue by not proactively seeking planned gifts from its members (particularly those of retirement age and beyond given the tax benefit of direct transfer of RMD from qualified retirement accounts).  

Engaging members who want a 1000yd range and inviting them to help ensure it happens (i.e.: contribute toward it) could almost certainly fund the project with out any significant impact on the overall financial position of the Club --- AND it would likely attract more members which would strengthen the future stability of the club. That's not to mention corporate sponsor potential (if the club would permit it).  Bergara, NightForce, Armageddon Gear, etc. all long-range shooting relevant companies with corporate presence or HQ in GA -- coudl invite them to sponsor with permanent recognition on the firing line.  I'd imagine many would have interest in that to some degree, again -- if the Club would give the green light to both the Range, and the sponsorship avenue.

I bet many of our aging members would gladly write the club into their estate for modest (or even significant) amounts.   This is the EASIEST form of growing endowments or long-term funding, and most nonprofits don't even think to put the option out there.  I've never seen mention of it on any communications from RBGC.

If we can get the green light from the board I'd voluntarily manage the fundraising aspect for any or all of this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck with the election.

A bit of a sidebar but there are a couple of long range venues in N GA.

Far as I'm aware Elberton still has a 1000' yard range that's available a few times a year, they have to work with a neighboring property owner to host it.

Gunsite Hills in Lexington has 800 yards

http://gunsitehills.com/

And this place in Danielsville has a 900 yard range.

https://www.northgeorgiawildlandsclub.com/the-range
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top