Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2024 7:20:39 PM EDT
Is there such thing? We try to conserve but got damn the bill just climbs!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on where you live. We stopped using them for heat a couple years ago. Firewood is far cheaper than the gas and electric to run our furnace. Between that  and space heaters we haven’t noticed a difference comfort wise and our gas bill has dropped significantly in the winter. We aren’t solely tied to PG&E though, only for gas. SMUD is our electricity provider.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Koa] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ajcrash:
Depends on where you live. We stopped using them for heat a couple years ago. Firewood is far cheaper than the gas and electric to run our furnace. Between that  and space heaters we haven’t noticed a difference comfort wise and our gas bill has dropped significantly in the winter. We aren’t solely tied to PG&E though, only for gas. SMUD is our electricity provider.
View Quote

Yup, a couple of space heaters are my next purchase.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
We have a fairly good sized 2 story with vaulted ceilings and it’s been a non issue even without a fire in the wood stove.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Where in PG&E are you? You can always sign a power purchase agreement, you still get billed from PG&E, but you buy power direct and pay PG&E to wheel it to you. It can save you decent amount of cash in some cases. Otherwise go solar.

Btw, I know PG&E gets a lot of hate, but they are litterally the cheapest of the big 3 in CA, both SDG&E and SCE make PG&E look cheap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a fairly good sized 2 story with vaulted ceilings and it’s been a non issue even without a fire in the wood stove.
View Quote

OK, so how do you heat your home?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
Where in PG&E are you? You can always sign a power purchase agreement, you still get billed from PG&E, but you buy power direct and pay PG&E to wheel it to you. It can save you decent amount of cash in some cases. Otherwise go solar.

Btw, I know PG&E gets a lot of hate, but they are litterally the cheapest of the big 3 in CA, both SDG&E and SCE make PG&E look cheap.
View Quote

We are in the northern part of the SF Bay Area. I say northern some say east bay.
It's the natural gas that drives the rate up. The gas fireplace, stove, water heater and furnace.
The electrical is less than 100 a month, it's the damn gas!
I almost had solar installed, had it city approved and ready for install but in the end it wouldn't save me anything.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Koa:

OK, so how do you heat your home?
View Quote

‘This winter has been all space heater. Last winter was a mix of wood stove and space heater. Trying to see what the difference is price wise. I can get a cord of hardwood (oak mostly) for around $350 that will last me at least 2 seasons. My highest electric bill last winter was about $200 (I have a blower on my wood stove, so that sucks juice also). This winter running nothing but space heaters my highest bill has been $250. So far I'm of the opinion that space heaters alone is the cheapest. Fires are nice for the ambiance, but economically space heaters has been the best for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]

‘This winter has been all space heater. Last winter was a mix of wood stove and space heater. Trying to see what the difference is price wise. I can get a cord of hardwood (oak mostly) for around $350 that will last me at least 2 seasons. My highest electric bill last winter was about $200 (I have a blower on my wood stove, so that sucks juice also). This winter running nothing but space heaters my highest bill has been $250. So far I'm of the opinion that space heaters alone is the cheapest. Fires are nice for the ambiance, but economically space heaters has been the best for me.
View Quote

Well that settles it. I'll be purchasing a couple of space heaters.
Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
We get the oscillating type to push the heat around. I think the wife gets them at kohls or amazon. We run 3 inside and one in the garage when we’re out there having beers. So far in 2 winters we’ve only had one outright die on us. So be prepared to replace as needed. They typically run between $50-$100+ each.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

You're lucky. I just got  my highest bill ever. $408. We keep the thermostat set to 68. $165 just in "delivery fees". At this rate I might start bringing pallets home from work to burn in the fireplace and heat the house
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
We get the oscillating type to push the heat around. I think the wife gets them at kohls or amazon. We run 3 inside and one in the garage when we’re out there having beers. So far in 2 winters we’ve only had one outright die on us. So be prepared to replace as needed. They typically run between $50-$100+ each.
View Quote

Noted, thank you.
I'm looking at one that sits in front of the fireplace that has a fake fire. How ironic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By -Blue-:

You're lucky. I just got  my highest bill ever. $408. We keep the thermostat set to 68. $165 just in "delivery fees". At this rate I might start bringing pallets home from work to burn in the fireplace and heat the house
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Blue-:

Thanks for reminding me. I need to call PG&E and ask WTF is a 'delivery fee'!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably the pipe. Lol I used to work on gas pipeline mostly for pg&e as a sub. If you saw the waste you’d be pissed. Someone has to pay for the San Bruno pipeline explosion and all the fires their outdated equipment caused. The customers are the lucky bunch to do so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably the pipe. Lol I used to work on gas pipeline mostly for pg&e as a sub. If you saw the waste you’d be pissed. Someone has to pay for the San Bruno pipeline explosion and all the fires their outdated equipment caused. The customers are the lucky bunch to do so.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]

We are in the northern part of the SF Bay Area. I say northern some say east bay.
It's the natural gas that drives the rate up. The gas fireplace, stove, water heater and furnace.
I almost had solar installed, had it city approved and ready for install but in the end it wouldn't save me anything.
View All Quotes

I just installed electric radiant heaters in the garage which I wish I would have done sooner. Both the kids rooms and our office also have space heaters, you can drop the NG heater down a few degrees and use space heaters for zone heating, it works and saves you cash.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]

I just installed electric radiant heaters in the garage which I wish I would have done sooner. Both the kids rooms and our office also have space heaters, you can drop the NG heater down a few degrees and use space heaters for zone heating, it works and saves you cash.
View All Quotes

That's the plan. Thank you for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top