Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 12:26:48 AM EDT
Perhaps it was the change in forecast or the fact that I was on the outskirts of the totality but I didn’t run into any issues with the eclipse.  

The worst was the hike in gas prices.  

No grocery store shortages, no gas shortages no noticeable traffic increases, no reports of idiots stopping and blocking the highways.  

I went to my neighborhood park and only saw about 10 people there.  I was surprised that it wasn’t busier.  

Hopefully y’all made it through without issue as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Outside of a 3 hour wait for the local breakfast shack, nothing of note.

Kids school canceled, but nothing out of the ordinary
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a sun tan
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
after the eclipse and the sheriff running everyone off the revelli park eclipse music festival around 55K reservations  due to sever weather incoming they were going to boot them before the eclipse but I guess decided they did not want to face riots lol.

hwy 29 though Burnet was at a dead stand still backed up past my house about 1 mile from center of town as far as I could see.

So I just called it a day cooked on the grill and talked with the out of towners hanging in the park behind my house.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
No big revelations, just a solid view of the total eclipse here.  Most the neighbors were watching from their backyards like me
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
We attended an 11 a.m. wedding on the campus of Southwestern in Georgetown.  Afterwards, she stood outside the chapel and watched the eclipse with a few hundred students.  We went to a reception downtown and headed home to Allen around 4 p.m.

Traffic on I35 was so light that it was like Covid restrictions were back in effect.  Mrs Rabinowitz wondered if we had missed the Rapture.  I told her there were no piles of clothing on the sidewalks so we were likely just fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:39:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than the fake increase in gas prices by 45 cents a gallon in Dallas there were no issues. Quite a few DPD squad cars parked on the highway shoulders around town. Not much traffic. Skies cleared for viewing.

I imagine local elected officials will be holding a news conference praising themselves for handling what they called a "disaster" in such a great way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By refidnasb:
I imagine local elected officials will be holding a news conference praising themselves for handling what they called a "disaster" in such a great way.
View Quote

This sounds like a reasonable prediction.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#9]
Didn't leave the house till today so I cannot speak to traffic before or after.   Due to that "Burning Man Lite" nonsense going on over in Burnet there are a lot of hippies parked in places like HEB and WalMart. Hopefully, they'll leave and not take up residence.

I imagine that guy's ranch is an ecological disaster at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Drove from Austin out 29 to Llano & then down 16 past Enchanted Rock to our place

We were smack dead center of the path & had extended totality.

Driving out at 7 AM Monday was super easy - very little traffic, but noticed all the schools & churches had blocked off all their lots.  Lots of bright new "Now Trespassing" signs all around.

Several signs offering Pay to Park from $50 to $200.

Eclipse was great. Clouds didn't arrive until AFTER the eclipse went totality - darkness and then light resumed.  We had a great view & excellent time

Drive coming back was FUBAR with EVERYONE leaving at once.

Not much congestion until a few miles outside of Burnett when 29 became a parking lot.

Congestion added an extra two hours

LOTS of out of state plates. WA, CA, OR, ID, CO, KS, NY, CT, and many others.

When we rolled in at 6:00 PM it POURED rain down HARD in Liberty Hill, Cedar Park & Round Rock.

Tuesday has been huge heavy rain & some hail, so better the Eclipse was Monday instead of Tuesday.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the mosquitos came out and bit the crap out of me when it started to get dim.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
We flew into and stayed in San Antonio on reservations made months ago.  We did drive out I10 in the morning and there was a lot of traffic at several points, google Maps kept telling us to get on the frontage roads.  Might have worked but we didn't. Out here (SoCal) some of googles alternate suggestions are really bad.  That and it kept telling us about speed traps.  From the looks of Boerne (sp?) and some other areas with PDs and THP cars everywhere, that was likely true.  It was cloudier than we'd have liked, some folks we talked to in the airport had gone north towards Dallas and did better and even worse traffic.

Riverwalk seemed awfully busy Sunday night but not sure how busy it usually is.  We got a free upgrade from Avis - no smaller gas cars were available, they weren't coming back as fast as expected, maybe the Lackland airshow?  So, at the time, we had a choice between a couple of electric cars - which the Avis depot runners thought might be a problem when it came to distance and/or charging availability?  So we got free up to a 2025 Chevrolet electric Silverado.  It's an electric AWD version of the Avalanche.  Rated at 450 miles fully charged so we didn't need to worry about charging unless we went crazy trying to get clear weather.  Tuesday was a zoo at the airport leaving
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Didn't leave the house till today so I cannot speak to traffic before or after.   Due to that "Burning Man Lite" nonsense going on over in Burnet there are a lot of hippies parked in places like HEB and WalMart. Hopefully, they'll leave and not take up residence.

I imagine that guy's ranch is an ecological disaster at the moment.
View Quote

Rumor the other day was someone died at the festival and that was why they shut it down a day early. But Austin news today said guy had a seizure while hiking at the festival and they shut it down due to the weather which seems odd.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By captexas:

Rumor the other day was someone died at the festival and that was why they shut it down a day early. But Austin news today said guy had a seizure while hiking at the festival and they shut it down due to the weather which seems odd.
View Quote

news is not reporting the 4 missing  people  from the festival
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Featureless:
We flew into and stayed in San Antonio on reservations made months ago.  We did drive out I10 in the morning and there was a lot of traffic at several points, google Maps kept telling us to get on the frontage roads.  Might have worked but we didn't. Out here (SoCal) some of googles alternate suggestions are really bad.  That and it kept telling us about speed traps.  From the looks of Boerne (sp?) and some other areas with PDs and THP cars everywhere, that was likely true.  It was cloudier than we'd have liked, some folks we talked to in the airport had gone north towards Dallas and did better and even worse traffic.

Riverwalk seemed awfully busy Sunday night but not sure how busy it usually is.  We got a free upgrade from Avis - no smaller gas cars were available, they weren't coming back as fast as expected, maybe the Lackland airshow?  So, at the time, we had a choice between a couple of electric cars - which the Avis depot runners thought might be a problem when it came to distance and/or charging availability?  So we got free up to a 2025 Chevrolet electric Silverado.  It's an electric AWD version of the Avalanche.  Rated at 450 miles fully charged so we didn't need to worry about charging unless we went crazy trying to get clear weather.  Tuesday was a zoo at the airport leaving
View Quote

the access roads are hit and miss. Some have stop signs some have lights and lots of people try and use them at times. It may look like they are moving faster but then you hit the lights and stop for 2-3 signals to get though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#16]
A wasp stung me twice during totality
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the main point is there was money to be made out of the hype and fearmongering. Lot of places closed, schools. businesses, etc. Government dollars burned. My kid had school but lots of teachers and students were no show. So lose - lose there. Teachers were telling my kid to call me and come get them. Why? They were taking them outside and giving them glasses to watch it at school.

A holiday at taxpayer expense. I don't want to hear anything about my kid missing part of a day of school for something else or a budget shortfall. You had money for everyone to screw off for a day, go cry somewhere else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top