Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2024 12:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: detacbob]
Well, after 25 years in Healthcare I've decided I need a change.

Downside, this is what I've always done so no idea what I'd like to move to.....

Currently live outside GR and need to stay here for family obligations.

Thought I'd just see if anyone here has anything interesting/interesting ideas.....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny, I'm retiring from healthcare after 36 years. I want to do something. I'm just not sure. I'd get paid more if I stayed in my field (PT) but not sure if I want all the hassles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By edcarPT:
Funny, I'm retiring from healthcare after 36 years. I want to do something. I'm just not sure. I'd get paid more if I stayed in my field (PT) but not sure if I want all the hassles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bucket-Back] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure of your background in healthcare, but insurance companies are always looking for claims reviewers.  Most of the jobs are WFH and pay ok.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Grand Rapids is hiring 9-1-1 dispatchers.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/grandrapids/jobs/4384153/emergency-communications-operator-i?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:56:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 243savage] [#6]
Pest control is always interesting.

Get to find guys this...

[youtube]shorts/7HgQjslEFc4[/youtube]

https://youtube.com/shorts/7HgQjslEFc4?feature=share
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
Pest control is always interesting.
View Quote
I have a friend who does this in Metro Detroit, he claims he's making 90K and they give him a 3/4 ton diesel to drive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ServiceRifleShooter:

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/grandrapids/jobs/4384153/emergency-communications-operator-i?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
View Quote

That is a truly terrible job. Some decent co-workers, but leadership is terrible and the hours (forced OT) is insane.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like the pot stores are always, like, far out man, hiring.

$16/hour.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
I have a friend who does this in Metro Detroit, he claims he's making 90K and they give him a 3/4 ton diesel to drive.
View Quote

Man, I'd love to know what all he's doing to drive a truck that big.

We have a few guys bringing in that money, but their routes are built with accounts that get services not covered under their contract, which means sales and commission.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DB0351:

That is a truly terrible job. Some decent co-workers, but leadership is terrible and the hours (forced OT) is insane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DB0351:
Originally Posted By ServiceRifleShooter:

I concur. If you want to sit in a windowless room for 12 hours a day then go for it.

That hub seems cool at first but I certainly prefer to be on the other side of the radio.

If you simply wanted something to do with low responsibilities take an EMT course and pick up a few shifts a month at a local agency. You can work as little or as much as you like.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are willing to get a CDL there are plenty of jobs that don't involve out of town travel.  Between the DOT physical and the drug test there is a shortage.  

I think the local sand/gravel hauler guys are making $30.  Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DTFD714:
If you simply wanted something to do with low responsibilities take an EMT course and pick up a few shifts a month at a local agency. You can work as little or as much as you like.
View Quote

Yeah, my ex-wife did that while she was in college studying nursing.  Worked for an independent EMT agency whenever, and got paid to attend a lot of concerts at the Palace.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: detacbob] [#14]
Originally Posted By DTFD714:

View Quote

@DTFD714

I'm to fuckin' old to sling gomers.

I started on the rig in the mid 90's son......

ETA: Still maintain my license too, despite my other medical career. Sentimental reasons more or less...
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

Yeah, my ex-wife did that while she was in college studying nursing.  Worked for an independent EMT agency whenever, and got paid to attend a lot of concerts at the Palace.
View Quote

White shirt with ties?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top