Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2024 2:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobbitybobbity]
I bought a 16' metal garage door 16 months ago. It's still sitting in the yard. As a Christmas present, I wanted to replace the old HEAVY wood one on my GF's garage. Neither of us are very adept at getting it open. I now realize I am no longer capable of doing the replacement myself. I have had to move it at least twice now and that's a half day job. Over the years, I have Rube Goldberg'd many jobs in order to get them done by me. I think I have passed that point. So, I am wondering if I can hire a guy or two to help get this done. It's just east of Lacey, off Yelm Highway. If I could afford a real crew, I would, but that's well outside my abilities. So, let me know if you're handy, available and especially, inexpensive. No specific time frame as of yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy if I still lived out there, I'd come help you for free.

Come on, someone go help Bob, he's a solid dude.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:03:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#2]
I’d be up for a WA HTF GTG if I’m in town, to help bobbity get this knocked out. I don’t have a skill set as far as this goes, and don’t expect any payment. I can do as I’m told. Maybe do some burgers/hotdogs, or order pizza or something.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t have the skills, but I can do any type of lifting or assistance needed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never installed one before, but I'm betting we could figure it out. or hang a tarp if we fuck up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this a new garage door?

What's your budget for the install?

I have a good garage door guy.  It's a few hour job for someone that does it frequently.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
I’d be up for a WA HTF GTG if I’m in town, to help bobbity get this knocked out. I don’t have a skill set as far as this goes, and don’t expect any payment. I can do as I’m told. Maybe do some burgers/hotdogs, or order pizza or something.
View Quote

OST.  

Are the procedures in the box?
How hard could it be?

EDIT:  Winding the spring sounds a bit intimidating.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#7]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

OST.  

How hard could it be?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OST.  

How hard could it be?

It is. You have to respect the energy stored in them. But with a little mechanical inclination and some common sense, you can do what the 20 year old kid that the garage door company will send out to do the job can.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

It is. You have to respect the energy stored in them. But with a little inclination and some common sense, you can do what the 20 year old kid that the garage door company will send out to do the job can.
View Quote

If the garage door indeed has a spring to go with it, that should be done by someone more than just reading the instructions. That shit has killed people.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I'm in this category. I have no skills in the department,  but I can move and hold up stuff where you tell me to.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#10]
If I was closer or capable I would. Bobbity is a good man and worth helping. One of the few people on here that I would go out of my way to help. One of the few people I can call a friend.

If anyone is capable and has a little bit of knowledge I’ll be thankful to them as well. I’ll even send them a coveted B&B patch.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

If the garage door indeed has a spring to go with it, that should be done by someone more than just reading the instructions. That shit has killed people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cops66:

It is. You have to respect the energy stored in them. But with a little inclination and some common sense, you can do what the 20 year old kid that the garage door company will send out to do the job can.

Well it didn’t kill me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Well it didn’t kill me.
View Quote

You’ve also been trained in hazardous energy and lock out processes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
As I am in Arizona for another week,  this had to be postponed a bit. My budget is a dollah tree fitty. It amounts to mere manual labor. The cables are easily trapped,  so no spring winding needed. I have the few tools necessary and ladders. I will provide pizza, fo sho. I thank you (all) in advance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job guys, lets get this done for Bob, he's a good guy and someone I consider a friend even though we've only met here and on the phone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Good job guys, lets get this done for Bob, he's a good guy and someone I consider a friend even though we've only met here and on the phone.
View Quote
No homo. I swear.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Location and expected timeframe?  I might be able to stop by and help.

By the way, never did it, so need someone who knows a bit about this, mostly after the comments about the springs.  The ones in houses I lived worked forever.  Only had to replace one actuator once.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

By the way, never did it, so need someone who knows a bit about this, mostly after the comments about the springs.  The ones in houses I lived worked forever.  Only had to replace one actuator once.

View Quote
Just east of Lacey. Currently in Pahrump,  Nevada, ETA unknown yet, likely home by the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll help depending on the day and time. I've never done it before but I know my way around a toolbox and can lift/carry/hold/etc.

If someone else is in charge of figuring it out, I'll be happy to be a warm body that takes orders.

My hourly rate is $0.00 per hour. It's about 90 miles, through Seattle and Tacoma, so all I ask is to not have to drive down there during rush hour.

Just let me know if you have coffee or I should bring my own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If I still lived in the San Juan's, I'd make a weekend of it.  Someone help Bobbitty out!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, I'll bring out some 50BMG ammo if you are inclined to get out your fitty.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
View Quote

man I wish I had land I could shoot on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:

man I wish I had land I could shoot on.
View Quote

Lakewood is still the land of the free.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
Just east of Lacey. Currently in Pahrump,  Nevada, ETA unknown yet, likely home by the weekend.
View All Quotes

Cool!  PM the details when you are ready and I'll do my best to help.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
All my ammo was stolen, but both fitties are nearby. I gave them to my boys a while back. I believe I have visitation rights.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Howzabout this coming Sattidy about noon? That's about as goodforeverybody as I can make it. RSVP, so to speak, so I'll know how much pizza to get. I always have coffee on deck. If someone needs other stuff, holler. Either I can go out and try to find it, or I can compensate you for bringing your own. Thank you, in advance...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Howzabout this coming Sattidy about noon? That's about as goodforeverybody as I can make it. RSVP, so to speak, so I'll know how much pizza to get. I always have coffee on deck. If someone needs other stuff, holler. Either I can go out and try to find it, or I can compensate you for bringing your own. Thank you, in advance...
View Quote

I'm sorry but I have family plans all weekend. I hope you get plenty of help. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

I have to pick up family and be in Tacoma at 4PM but can make that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m sorry, I had every intention on helping, but I am volunteering that day for the 11th annual Send A Vet, which will be held at the Puyallup fairgrounds. Setting up Friday and event is on Saturday.

I hope you get all the help you need and hopefully I’ll be there for the next one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#29]
This weekend will be tough.  It's Spring Break and I already have plans with family for the whole week.

Any way to move a couple weeks later?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#30]
This weekend will be tough.  It's Spring Break and I already have plans with family for the whole week.

Any way to move a couple weeks later?
View Quote

I can make it this Saturday, March 30, OR 2 weeks later, April 13. I’m out of state on Saturday, April 6.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I have military obligations April 12-14 and April 19-May 3.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#32]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-6-531.gif
I have to pick up family and be in Tacoma at 4PM but can make that.
View Quote
I picked an allegedly dry day. If you want to arrive earlier, I am ok with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately I wont be able to make it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Tits on a Ritz.  I'm in.

Should I bring any tools, or just lots of Abreva ointment?

ETA: Pics of girlfriend are not loading...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Tits on a Ritz.  I'm in.

Should I bring any tools, or just lots of Abreva ointment?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/ad/50/edad509dcd004320e089ff2a48cd56a8.jpg

ETA: Pics of girlfriend are not loading...
View Quote
She's 70. Think about it.  I can possibly use another step ladder. I have one ryobi driver, two would be mo bettah.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#36]
Bobbity, assuming we’re still on for tomorrow, March 30, are you going to PM us with address or directions? I can still make it.

ETA: PM sent with same message. I can bring a blue tarp.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:25:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#37]
Yes, took some juggling but I can still make it.  Need an address too.

What kind of tools to bring?

Can bring a short step stool.  SUV needs fixing so can’t bring the regular ladder.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
We're on for today. I think tools are covered. A short-ish stepladder might help. I think one of mine may be too tall. Two guys coming, I imagine we can handle it, though I'm already half fried from clearing space and gathering tools and stuff. Looks like a great day to be outside!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobbitybobbity] [#39]
Moocho gracioso to Fishkepr and TigerForce for spending their day with me.  The door is "up", nobody died. It looks like I have a lot of work to do to finish it. I know I measured everything before I bought the replacement door, but it's a couple inches too narrow and a few inches too short. But, the big hole in the front of the house is at least blocked in. We had a pleasant visit, guys. I look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#40]
I enjoyed helping out, and it was a beautiful day. Good to see bobbity, and to meet FishKepr, and his offspring, too.

ETA: I had two 8 x 10 foot blue tarps on standby in the trunk of my car, but fortunately they weren’t needed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Well done, everybody. Way to help out!

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#42]
It was enjoyable Afternoon and we learned a few things.  If you decide to hold another work party for whatever reason (Replacing the door with the correct size or whatever) feel free to ask us to do it again.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Glad it worked out fine.  Let me know if you need help for something else.

Just back from the dry side and Idaho.  Took my son to check the universities there as he gets ready to apply.  Got snow on Spokane on Friday.

I liked Idaho.  Looks and feels civilized as WA once was.  Might follow others and move there.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad it worked out fine.  Let me know if you need help for something else.

Just back from the dry side and Idaho.  Took my son to check the universities there as he gets ready to apply.  Got snow on Spokane on Friday.

I liked Idaho.  Looks and feels civilized as WA once was.  Might follow others and move there.
View Quote

University of Idaho worked out really well for my daughter.  We were planning to go to WSU and did a side trip to check out the Vandals.  She stayed.  I just purchased a place in Lewiston, about 45minutes south of Moscow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top