Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2023 10:06:37 AM EDT
I've been doing some car shopping and have been looking for something a little more fun to drive. I was looking at WRXs but those things are pretty expensive up here and not many available from what I can see. I've been seeing some more affordable things like Mustangs and Camaros. I know I've seen the Camaros drive in the winter. But is it a bad idea or what? I will have a beater jeep to drive if it gets real bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy that has driven a 2wd truck the last 3 winters. Idk how he does it. I put my 4Runner i. 4wd to make it up my road this week.

I’d personally have no interest in driving one of those in the winter. Heck my “fun” car is awd and I still don’t drive it in the winter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously horrible idea for a daily, as soon as the road freezes and snow flys you're going to hate everything about life and getting stuck at every stop light. Rear wheel drive cars are a May-September toy and nothing more
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about bringing my truck up to Ketchikan for the winter as we will be at Vigor all winter. It's a 2wd/rwd pickup, though, so I've been wondering about this, as I don't own a 4wd vehicle and it sucks trying to get around town without a vehicle. Not sure how the winters are as I spent the last two in Prince William Sound, instead.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You will park your truck some days and get a ride. There are some pretty steep hills in Ketchikan. Lots of rain, and predicted to be a warm winter, so mabey less snow at sea level.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously horrible idea for a daily, as soon as the road freezes and snow flys you're going to hate everything about life and getting stuck at every stop light. Rear wheel drive cars are a May-September toy and nothing more
View Quote
Honestly as soon as I Posted and reread what I wrote I just loled and said no.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will park your truck some days and get a ride. There are some pretty steep hills in Ketchikan. Lots of rain, and predicted to be a warm winter, so mabey less snow at sea level.
View Quote

I think the only time I'd go up any hills would be to go to the rec center or to the Catholic Church. Otherwise I'd pretty much just be going up and down Tongass to go downtown, to Safeway, etc.

It was warm like that in Cordova last winter.  Snow melted away due to the rain.  It came back just in time for Iceworm, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Both of our pickups are 4wd.  Studs all the way around.  I don't run in 4x4 much.  Both trucks handle OK in normal winter conditions.  I drive pretty conservative (little ol' man as the Wife says).  We carry "chains" for the back of the Tundra but have never had to use them.  The Tacoma has link chains for the rear and small link chain for the front...twice I've had to chain up all 4 to get around on pavement back when I HAD to be at work no matter what.  When it's nasty now I just throw another log on the fire and wait for it to get better.

Our commuter car (fwd) gets parked once the snow/ice starts.  It is so low to the ground it'd never clear the chunks of ice the big trucks leave on the road.  Same clearance problem during spring breakup and the road turns to rutted mud.
Edit: I had to look in the trunk yesterday and the little car chains are still there...just in case!
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 95 ford thunderbird that I commuted in for years with no problems. I didn’t even run winter tires on it back then. Just slow down and don’t drive like your heads elsewhere. I currently have a 2WD 1500 that I got a good deal on and with good tires I haven’t been stopped yet for the past 5 winters.

I also drove a Crown Vic for years with no problems.

So it can be done, you just have to be smart and a safe driver.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
AWD Subaru Forester with Studs for wife's vehicle
4WD Titan with Studs for mine (4wd high when anything other than rain added to pavement in winter)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top