Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2024 11:06:29 PM EDT
I paid it little attention until Knob Creek was going under. Never once looked at a map of it. Turns out, at one point, I lived a half hour away. Duh uh. So, I have planned to fly to Albuquerque and meet up with a friend from the midwest. We'll drive together from there. Staying in a motel in Kingman is, sadly, much more attractive to my grizzled old carcass than camping on the ground at the shoot. Won't quite be as much fun, but I'm not big on shenanigans these days. We were gonna shoot, too, but I screwed up and lost $500 somewhere between Tacoma and Rainier on Sunday, so we'll be spectators, for the the most part.
My friend from Kingman, who has a LGS there (The ATF Convenience Store), has invited us to hang with his shooting group. I can't wait for the sound of gunfire. LOTS of gunfire. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My longest time (50 years +) friend lives in Maricopa.

Last spring I planned a trip to drive down and we would go to the Big Sandy shoot.  Made hotel res in Kingman and it was on like Donkey Kong.

The night before we left Maricopa, I double checked the driving directions on the Big Sandy website and found out the access roads were all washed out and the event was cancelled.

Worst vacation ever.  Or so I thought...  Then there was the trip to AZ in November to see the NASCAR final race...  My AZ trips are cursed.

Good news is buddy is off crutches and back to work two weeks ago...

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
My longest time (50 years +) friend lives in Maricopa.

Last spring I planned a trip to drive down and we would go to the Big Sandy shoot.  Made hotel res in Kingman and it was on like Donkey Kong.

The night before we left Maricopa, I double checked the driving directions on the Big Sandy website and found out the access roads were all washed out and the event was cancelled.

Worst vacation ever.  Or so I thought...  Then there was the trip to AZ in November to see the NASCAR final race...  My AZ trips are cursed.

Good news is buddy is off crutches and back to work two weeks ago...

View Quote
Tell me you're not going this year. I hate rain.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-203] [#3]
I went to the precursor of the Big Sandy called the SP-1 crater shoot about 21 years ago.  It was literally the best gun experience
of my life and I plan to go to the Big Sandy in the future.  Too bad you don't have your teardrop trailer anymore, Bobbity, as it would have
been perfect for the cold at night, hot during the day desert environment out there.  When I mean cold at night, I remember 28-32 degrees out near
Flagstaff in late August.  I understand that the event is now held near Wikieup but that's still far north in the high country to be cold at night.  Worst camping experience of my life.

The October shoot is usually the bigger than the March event.  I suspect the March event gets washed out more often than the October shoot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By M-203:
I went to the precursor of the Big Sandy called the SP-1 crater shoot about 21 years ago.  It was literally the best gun experience
of my life and I plan to go to the Big Sandy in the future.  Too bad you don't have your teardrop trailer anymore, Bobbity, as it would have
been perfect for the cold at night, hot during the day desert environment out there.  When I mean cold at night, I remember 28-32 degrees out near
Flagstaff in late August.  I understand that the event is now held near Wikieup but that's still far north in the high country to be cold at night.  Worst camping experience of my life.

The October shoot is usually the bigger than the March event.  I suspect the March event gets washed out more often than the October shoot.
View Quote
Yoiks! We have rooms booked in Kingman. And, with gas prices being what they are,  I don't know if I could afford to take my little trailer that far. Trailer isn't an issue,  it's the v10 pickup...thirsty.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It's gonna snow...
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
It's gonna snow...
View Quote
Yo momma...
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It's gonna snow...
View Quote

Where have I heard this before?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Got rained on tonight, but I have one more great shooting event under my prodigious belt. First time, Knob Creek aside, this was the first time I had absolutely  nothing to do with it.  And, I couldn't shoot! I had a terrific time,  even had friends to share it. This pic was myownadultself with a guy who admits knowing The Wookie and the brains behind the ATF Convenience Store. I confess, I try to surround myself with good people.  Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top