Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2024 7:30:10 PM EDT
I'm in Charles city Iowa.  City ordinance 55.08. If you ever had to deal with this ordinance and got some clarification on this ordinance id like to hear your input.

It's unlawful for the owner to allow or permit such a dog to cause a serious annoyance or disturbance to any person or persons by Frequent and habitual barking, yelping, howling.  

Is letting them outside with the possibility of them barking, yelping, howling considered allowing and or permitting them to do so?

What would be considered a serious annoyance?  

And what is considered frequent or habitual?  How much barking is a dog allowed to do?  None? 5 minutes worth?

I can't get ahold of a lawyer and the local police officer has no definitive answer on it.

Itd like it's open to interpretation.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If the neighbors complain it’s an annoyance. Especially if more than one complains more than once.  The cops aren’t looking for barking dogs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
If the neighbors complain it’s an annoyance. Especially if more than one complains more than once.  The cops aren’t looking for barking dogs.
View Quote

This. Dogs bark. It's gonna happen.

If your dog barks enough to piss off the neighbors and you don't try to calm it down, you're "allowing" it.

If the same dog barks a couple times at a squirrel you don't have much to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By shack357:

This. Dogs bark. It's gonna happen.

If your dog barks enough to piss off the neighbors and you don't try to calm it down, you're "allowing" it.

If the same dog barks a couple times at a squirrel you don't have much to worry about.
View Quote

Ok. When they first start barking we make them stop and come in. Every time the police have been to our house when the neighbor calls the police they have been inside.  One time an officer came out when one dog literally barked twice. I got him in and five minutes later a police officer was at our door. Now we're paranoid about our dogs barking at all. One time, two times,  how much can a dog bark before it's a nuisance?  I asked the officer this and he said if the neighbor calls and complains, it's a nuisance.  So our neighbor can call and complain for any reason. I have statements from every neighbor within 200 feet of us signed, dated with their addresses saying they do not think our dogs are a problem, but the information I found is that's considered heresay.  So far, I have two neighbors who live across the ally which is the next closest neighbor willing to come to court on our behalf.  This is a simple misdemeanor and the neighbor complaining isn't required to be there unl the city wants to bring in witnesses of their own.  I'm hoping they don't call him to be there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
View Quote

It's only one neighbor complaining. I got signed statements from every single neighbor within 200 feet of us stating they don't see our dogs as a problem or a nuisance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, the cops come out for a barking dog whete you're at? I can't even get the sheriff's department out here when my neighbor let's her 10 dogs run rampant throughout the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By liljakec:
Damn, the cops come out for a barking dog whete you're at? I can't even get the sheriff's department out here when my neighbor let's her 10 dogs run rampant throughout the neighborhood.
View Quote

Charles city.  The only dogs our other neighbors complained about was his dogs.  They would also run rampant though our neighborhood. No one ever called the police on him tho. We had issues with his dogs coming into our yard pooping and peeing and terrorizing our little dog we had at the time. Never once we complain called the police. Because we weren't going to be the. Karen of the neighborhood. But apparently he is. He even was upset that we put up a privacy fence to keep our dogs in and his dogs out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Your neighbor sounds like a pest.

Pick up some bark collars if shit persists.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ausher1880:

Charles city.  The only dogs our other neighbors complained about was his dogs.  They would also run rampant though our neighborhood. No one ever called the police on him tho. We had issues with his dogs coming into our yard pooping and peeing and terrorizing our little dog we had at the time. Never once we complain called the police. Because we weren't going to be the. Karen of the neighborhood. But apparently he is. He even was upset that we put up a privacy fence to keep our dogs in and his dogs out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ausher1880:
Originally Posted By liljakec:

Move to Alta Vista. Not a long drive and it's quiet. Biggest problem currently is my neighbors playing Mexican polka music in their cars too loud, while they sit on the picnic tables listening.

I can live with that to not live in Mason City.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Your neighbor sounds like a pest.

Pick up some bark collars if shit persists.
View Quote

They all got bark collars and they work for the most part unless they start playing really rough and one will let out a couple barks then stop.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shack357:

Move to Alta Vista. Not a long drive and it's quiet. Biggest problem currently is my neighbors playing Mexican polka music in their cars too loud, while they sit on the picnic tables listening.

I can live with that to not live in Mason City.
View Quote

I got a couple co workers who live there.  They had a English mastiff and have a Dane mastiff.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top