Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2024 4:05:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 99% sure you already know this but just in case.

Gary at marbut.com gets you the MSSA president. 549-1252 is his contact number.

sorenkoford at gmail.com gets you the secretary. 465-1374 to call.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:24:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:

Last time I spoke to Gary, the short version of the conversation can be summed up as him seeming to think I'm not pro-gun/pro-freedom/pro-militia enough.

It was mind blowing, given that even most NFA guys think I'm on the extreme side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Last time I spoke to Gary, the short version of the conversation can be summed up as him seeming to think I'm not pro-gun/pro-freedom/pro-militia enough.

It was mind blowing, given that even most NFA guys think I'm on the extreme side.

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Gary is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Ha - yeah. He's one of the few people that honestly agrees with the open sale of any and all arms to all Americans. Period.

Grenade vending machines and all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]

So do I.

But he was unhappy with my version of a bill to revitalize the Home Guard, because it didn't let locals chose officers above the rank of Captain, and it limited the number of officers and other ranks that may be appointed based on the size of the unit.

It has always, forever, been the governor or (farther back pre-revolution) the crown or his appointee who selected and approved officers above the rank of Captain. Militaries require discipline, and effective management and leadership of an organization at the field grade level requires both experience and education.

He was also unhappy that consolidated Navy/Marine units of the Home Guard under my bill would have to be composed primarily of members or retirees of the naval services, and required the officers to be commissioned officers or the federal reserve or federal retirees. He thought it was a horrible idea because then the feds could activate them and deprive the state of that portion of the Home Guard. I know he means well, but he doesn't seem to understand the larger picture here in regards to Marines and sailors. Officers of the Naval Services are by law allowed to simultaneously enroll in their state naval militia units. States that have such naval militia units can receive weapons and equipment for those units at no cost from the DOD, similar to the national guard if the majority of the members are reserve or retired sailors and Marines. But, even if you are retired and already receiving your pension, a naval officer (this includes Marine Officers) by law cannot affiliate with a state military organization other than their state's naval militia.

So on the one hand, you have the possibility of receiving significant material support for naval militia units, at no cost...while having units made up of veterans who could train other units within the Home Guard. If they get recalled to active duty by the feds, yeah, that would suck...but the law only allows them to be recalled as individuals. Not as units of naval militia.

Or the other option, you exclude the legal participation of Marines in the Home Guard...and this gets you what advantage? Any at all?
View All Quotes

Ha - yeah. He's one of the few people that honestly agrees with the open sale of any and all arms to all Americans. Period.

Grenade vending machines and all.

So do I.

But he was unhappy with my version of a bill to revitalize the Home Guard, because it didn't let locals chose officers above the rank of Captain, and it limited the number of officers and other ranks that may be appointed based on the size of the unit.

It has always, forever, been the governor or (farther back pre-revolution) the crown or his appointee who selected and approved officers above the rank of Captain. Militaries require discipline, and effective management and leadership of an organization at the field grade level requires both experience and education.

He was also unhappy that consolidated Navy/Marine units of the Home Guard under my bill would have to be composed primarily of members or retirees of the naval services, and required the officers to be commissioned officers or the federal reserve or federal retirees. He thought it was a horrible idea because then the feds could activate them and deprive the state of that portion of the Home Guard. I know he means well, but he doesn't seem to understand the larger picture here in regards to Marines and sailors. Officers of the Naval Services are by law allowed to simultaneously enroll in their state naval militia units. States that have such naval militia units can receive weapons and equipment for those units at no cost from the DOD, similar to the national guard if the majority of the members are reserve or retired sailors and Marines. But, even if you are retired and already receiving your pension, a naval officer (this includes Marine Officers) by law cannot affiliate with a state military organization other than their state's naval militia.

So on the one hand, you have the possibility of receiving significant material support for naval militia units, at no cost...while having units made up of veterans who could train other units within the Home Guard. If they get recalled to active duty by the feds, yeah, that would suck...but the law only allows them to be recalled as individuals. Not as units of naval militia.

Or the other option, you exclude the legal participation of Marines in the Home Guard...and this gets you what advantage? Any at all?

Frustrating. Well-meaning but frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Too much, too fast?

Don't take this the wrong way...

Maybe he is skeptical of you moving out here and trying to get involved. Many out here are protective over our pet projects and mssa is clearly Gary's baby. I have never met Gary personally but have emailed him a bunch over the years. And he has a set way of looking at things. You have a huge amount of experience and knowledge to offer mssa and MT, but you may need to start over again with your approach.

I have never been, but have you made it down for their annual meeting? I have seen their bods posted or maybe in their membership handout. The only one that I know of is Randy Pinochi. I have his contact info if you want to I'm me?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Gary met me all the way back when I was growing up on the reservation. I'm not really "moving out here" so much as coming home. I didn't got back east until I enlisted, then stayed there for college.

But I understand people being protective of their pet projects. Yeah- getting down to an MSSA meeting is on my agenda.
View Quote

I didn't realize that. Very cool. It all makes sense. You are certainly more "well traveled" then me and a lot of others! Welcome home!

I learned that if you are coming into a program, you need to convince the head guy that it was his idea. That can be challenging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top