Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2022 7:54:39 PM EDT
Hey, my wife and I are taking an anniversary trip to Maui and will be there for about a week. Our condo is WAAAAY up in Kapalua but we'll be doing some driving to see various things.

If you live on Maui and want to meet up for drink or whatever, let me know. I can also bring stupid stuff from the mainland if you are in need (we can get almost anything where we live)- we have lots of extra bag space.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Approximate dates?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Approximate dates?
View Quote

24-30 August
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Kapalua is nice. It’s a lot cooler temperature wise. I am right in the middle of Lahaina where it lives up to its name translation of Cruel Sun.

There’s a nice beach at Kapalua Bay and lots of eating places on the west side.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HI5-0:
Kapalua is nice. It’s a lot cooler temperature wise. I am right in the middle of Lahaina where it lives up to its name translation of Cruel Sun.

View Quote

Brah, I'm on Kaho`olawe right now sweating my balls off.  Here until next Friday.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:56:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#5]
Originally Posted By HI5-0:

View Quote

Nice. We'll be in and around Lahaina a lot while we are there. Our second time to Maui so we are one step above complete noobs.
Trying to decide between Honu Fish House and Merrimans for our expensive dinner. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Nice. We'll be in and around Lahaina a lot while we are there. Our second time to Maui so we are one step above complete noobs.
Trying to decide between Honu Fish House and Merrimans for our expensive dinner. Thoughts?
View Quote

Wife and I live on the Big Island and Merriman's in Waimea is our go-to place for a nice dinner.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Wife and I live on the Big Island and Merriman's in Waimea is our go-to place for a nice dinner.
View Quote

Well crap I guess I waited too long and they are completely booked the entire time we are there in about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Well crap I guess I waited too long and they are completely booked the entire time we are there in about 2 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On the bright side, anywhere you go for dinner will be expensive.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]

On the bright side, anywhere you go for dinner will be expensive.
View Quote

Haha, true. One place we were looking at had appetizer salads that were up to $28
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Merriman's is very good.  Was a big fan of the cafe in Waikoloa before they closed.  For Waimea now I'd hit Red Water for a nice dinner.  Ribeye or shrimp pasta dishes are always top notch.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:36:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:

Merriman's is very good.  Was a big fan of the cafe in Waikoloa before they closed.  For Waimea now I'd hit Red Water for a nice dinner.  Ribeye or shrimp pasta dishes are always top notch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:

Red Water is a pretty good place to grab a beer
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Ha!

So is perhaps Brewhaus, FORC, or Fish & Hog.  Maybe we need to do some reconnaissance?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#13]

View Quote

Red Water looks pretty nice, but their website is about 20 years out of date. Seriously, I made a website like that in 1999.
Whoops, I see that is on the big island as well. D'oh!

But I digress. The offer is still open for a few more days. I am already bringing some mead (that I make, at my winery) but could easily bring stuff from Trader Joes or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Red Water looks pretty nice, but their website is about 20 years out of date. Seriously, I made a website like that in 1999.

But I digress. The offer is still open for a few more days. I am already bringing some mead (that I make, at my winery) but could easily bring stuff from Trader Joes or whatever.
View All Quotes

Unfortunately I will only be passing through Maui on my way home to the Big Island on Friday.  Basically I'll be going from the helicopter side to the commuter terminal side.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Welp I am back and I have to say I am still playing with the idea of dumping it all and moving to Maui. It's not affordable but it would be amazing. Had a great time, almost everyone was very nice (except ONE national park employee) and we were incredibly blessed to see a massive pod of dolphins including babies, swim with and observe about 20 different green seat turtles from adolescence to ancient ages. I also saw 2 species of moray eels, an octopus, a barracuda, thousands of fish in a school, 15-20 different species of tropical fish.

I also had the best pineapple ever, amazing food, great honey, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Welp I am back and I have to say I am still playing with the idea of dumping it all and moving to Maui. It's not affordable but it would be amazing. Had a great time, almost everyone was very nice (except ONE national park employee) and we were incredibly blessed to see a massive pod of dolphins including babies, swim with and observe about 20 different green seat turtles from adolescence to ancient ages. I also saw 2 species of moray eels, an octopus, a barracuda, thousands of fish in a school, 15-20 different species of tropical fish.

View Quote

You need to come back in a couple of months to see the whales.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]

You need to come back in a couple of months to see the whales.
View Quote

I'd love to see whales! I apparently am obsessed with marine life now. I am working on my video editing skills, I got some good shots on the GoPro in 4k
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Just had 1st trip there to get married, playing with same idea. Land on how you're gonna do it yet?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BSWilson:

Just had 1st trip there to get married, playing with same idea. Land on how you're gonna do it yet?
View All Quotes

Getting close to whale season.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 11:59:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#20]

View Quote

It's a pipe dream. I have a small business. If I could grow it to the point where it is worth 5MM+ then I could sell it and move to the Island to retire.  That's the extent of the plan. I am (fairly) young so I have some time.

The other idea is possibly buying land and paying it down a bit until we are ready to move. I am not sure if Hawaii has any sorts of laws or taxes that discourages that type of behavior.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I came to the same conclusion, 3-5 million entry fee to paradise.

Deciding to do it in the first step, now it's just a matter of logistics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm retiring in Dec 2023 and moving to the mainland.  You can have my 5.25 acres on the Big Island for around $1m if you buy early.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm retiring in Dec 2023 and moving to the mainland.  You can have my 5.25 acres on the Big Island for around $1m if you buy early.
View Quote

That seems like a lot depending on location.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#24]
I came to the same conclusion, 3-5 million entry fee to paradise.

Deciding to do it in the first step, now it's just a matter of logistics.
View Quote

Well here's the thing about paradise....

Yes the weather and scenery and activities are awesome but....

Hard to travel to the mainland
Limited stuff you can get
Shipping is slow, expensive, or both
Taxes are sky high
Cost of living bad
Property is crazy-expensive
The locals will never like you - unless you are asian or have super tan skin
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#25]

That seems like a lot depending on location.
View Quote

Smaller property in this area that didn't have the killer views my place has sold for $1m.  Hawaii property prices are crazy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Well here's the thing about paradise....

Yes the weather and scenery and activities are awesome but....

Hard to travel to the mainland
Limited stuff you can get
Shipping is slow, expensive, or both
Taxes are sky high
Cost of living bad
Property is crazy-expensive
The locals will never like you - unless you are asian or have super tan skin
View Quote

Nonsense.  My hawaiian-japanese neighbors are almost family.  Two weeks ago I met a friend for beers and he is Hawaiian and related to a rather famous surfer who would go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I finished my blog post for our 2016 trip to Maui. Saw some things and took a lot of pictures. My underwater photography game was weak at that time.

Blog Post
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I finished my blog post for our 2016 trip to Maui. Saw some things and took a lot of pictures. My underwater photography game was weak at that time.

Blog Post
View Quote

Nice pics!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top