Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
A friend an avid bird hunter. Has told me he spoke with someone at DNR and was told we can no longer hunt with pump shotguns due to PICA
Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Only stops the law abiding.

* sorry, just seems to be getting worse. I was thinking about actually  returning to IL when I retire from the army (famliy, I own a house in IL and IL doesnt tax miliary pay), but these last few years of the crazy laws and immigration bullshit got me looking elsewhere
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like someone did not read P.I.C.A.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
According to ILDNR hunting regulations, the shotgun, of any persuasion, is legal for taking various game species. The only proviso is that the firearm magazine to be plugged to hold two shells and shotgun gauge meets the requirements for the game species being hunted. Sounds like OP's friend was misinformed by person he talked to.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:12:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#4]
Manually operating firearms are exempt from the law.
Semi auto are subject to the ban.

In others words, go get a pump with all the extras.

Here is the verbiage:

Are bolt, pump, lever or slide action firearms regulated  under under PICA?

Pursuant to 720 ILCS 5/24-1.9, an “assault weapon” does not include a firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action, unless the firearm is a shotgun with a revolving cylinder. This is true even if, as manufactured, the bolt, pump, lever, or slide action firearm has features that if removed would constitute assault weapon attachments.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:
A friend an avid bird hunter. Has told me he spoke with someone at DNR and was told we can no longer hunt with pump shotguns due to PICA
Any truth to this?
View Quote

bad advice from the fish police - shocked , SHOCKED I TELL YOU
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top