Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:23:44 PM EDT
My wife and I will be there for a few days this week. We had a trip planned in 2017, but hurricane Irma happened right when we planned to be there.

I think we have most of the attractions we want to see nailed down, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm mostly interested in what restaurants you would recommend. I looked through the pinned thread and all I saw for Savannah was a beer parlor. I don't drink, so we probably won't be hanging out at bars much (unless they also have good food). We are not picky eaters, so anything goes. We're not planning on bringing dress clothes, so anything with a dress code is probably out. Are there any "must try" places you recommend?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from the Sav area. Definitely the Crab Shack out on Tybee. Plenty of great places downtown but I was in the Sandfly area, there Driftaways, Castaways and Sandfly BBQ are great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#3]
as mention above as well as Bernies and Fanniees. Good food and Cold beer
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Vic's on the River.  Somewhat upscale, but still has the feeling of a good home cooked meal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've ate at most of the Savanah river front restaurants and have not been disappointed with them either.
Last time i wasat Bernies on the river front they had stopped serving fried foods which disappointed as I was after shrimp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for all the suggestions! We're flying out tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it!

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Bubba Gumbo's on Tybee.  I've never been impressed with the Crab Shack..  

Most other places I've eaten in the riverfront area have been fine, although I wasn't impressed with the Cotton Exchange.  Leupold's ice cream is overrated also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, we had a great time!

We hit a few of the suggested restaurants, and none disappointed. Vic's, The Crystal Beer Parlor, Bubba Gumbos, Leopold's. We also had some oysters and appetizers at Sorry Charlie's that were good. I think the best thing I ate was blue crab beignets at Vic's. Those were amazing. I could have eaten 10 orders of them.

Fort Pulaski was the highlight for me, followed by a tour of Bonaventure Cemetery. We lucked into a great tour guide for that. I also enjoyed hanging out and chatting with the fishermen on the pier on Tybee. I'm a fishing junkie, and everyone there was doing pretty well, which was cool.

I will say I'm glad we went in early May. I'm not sure I could handle the heat in the middle of summer. My Nordic ass wasn't built for heat.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top