Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2023 7:15:36 PM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to take this class?  

My experience level - I have been shooting 30 years, been to several formal gun school classes, and had a CCW in Hellifornia for 20 years.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I know someone that went  through Faith Outdoors in Nampa and spoke highly of it.

This time of year I would probably look at Independence because of the indoor range.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Mark at Doubletappboise.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: matt58] [#3]
Training

I’ve worked with Raul in multiple capacities over my career and would highly recommend any classes he offers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By matt58:
Training

I’ve worked with Raul in multiple capacities over my career and would highly recommend any classes he offers.
View Quote

I’ll second this recommendation. Raul is an experienced trainer and a tremendous individual.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the JRB Firearm training class in Emmett and the best thing I could say is that it was cheap and I got my E-CCW.

Lots of flat our wrong info and fud given during the class, I've written about it here in the past but stuff like the instructor saying nobody in this room has the resources to own an NFA item like a silencer and a chamber flag confused the fuck out of them.

If you need real training don't go, if you want your certificate for as inexpensive as possible it's an option. I think it was 85.00.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#6]
Thanks Joe Sun.  I have experienced what you described in SPADES.

In my previous state, I had to take a CCW class every 2 years.  Most of the classes was pure crap or just wrong.  Out of the 10 classes I have taken, only one guy was an actual warrior.  The rest were overweight normies who have never shot in self defense or even been in a fist fight in their entire lives.

I just want the piece of paper.  But, I would love real training if it were available.  

P.S.  Raul seems like the real deal. But, his website does not show anything coming up.  I will email him for an up to date schedule.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
A CCW class is a terrible class for training.   You have a bunch of laws you have to cover and you have a bunch of people that are barely safe to handle firearms.

A CCW class isn't a guarantee someone is safe to conceal carry, it satisfys a law that shouldn't exist.  

My 0.02, from someone that has taught a bunch of people to shoot and has one of those "Certified ####### Instructor" certificates around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 4:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#8]
Broken reticle - you are 100% correct on everything you said.  There should be no such thing as a CCW license anywhere in America.  The 2nd Amendment already covered that.

I have personally seen people consistently miss the target at 5 yards away at a CCW class.  Some of the classes were complete circuses.  I would try to shoot my rounds as fast as I could so I could get away from the danger.  I’m not exaggerating!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
Thanks Joe Sun.  I have experienced what you described in SPADES.

In my previous state, I had to take a CCW class every 2 years.  Most of the classes was pure crap or just wrong.  Out of the 10 classes I have taken, only one guy was an actual warrior.  The rest were overweight normies who have never shot in self defense or even been in a fist fight in their entire lives.

I just want the piece of paper.  But, I would love real training if it were available.  

P.S.  Raul seems like the real deal. But, his website does not show anything coming up.  I will email him for an up to date schedule.
View Quote

Sounds like California. It cost around 500.00 every 2 years to keep my CCW there and that was a decade ago, I can't imagine how much it costs now.

I actually had someone kicked off the range during their requalification because 3 times in a row they loaded the ammunition backwards in the magazine. Mind you they already had their permit, this is the annual requalification. Gotta say the enhanced CCW class here didn't feel that much safer thou.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a couple of classes and recertifications in Texas.  Both times had situations that were humorous or borderline scary.

Last class had 2 couples, from the discussion going on behind me if was obvious both husbands were "very experienced hunters".  They kept giving their wives a hard time that hopefully they could pass.  Both wives passed after some coaching and both husbands had to reshoot a couple of times.  All of their targets looked like they were peppered by a shotgun.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#11]
Originally Posted By matt58:
Training

View Quote

I third what Matt said. I took my enhanced with Raul. It was a pleasure taking his class. OP, regarding CCW: take the enhanced, or don't take one at all. Idaho is a constitutional carry state. Drop that Cali mindset that you need to get permission to carry a concealed weapon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:44:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#12]
Raul won't have classes until March.  I may wait.  I mainly want the enhanced CCW so I can carry in Nevada when go there to hunt.

Yep.  I don't need permission.  I carried in Idaho the minute my feet hit the ground.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I took the E-CCW class with Joe and it went well.  They also give the details/certificate for Oregon if you want a permit there.

https://idahofirearmsclasses.com/product/idaho-enhanced-or-class/
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Independence had a good class. The instruction was decent and the indoor range is nice.

Just bring a gun you can actually shoot, lol. In my class there were a few people with cheap/oddball guns they had never shot, and jammed like crazy or couldn't hit the large target at all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a class where someone  used a broomhandle Mauser, they did fine, lol.

I need to take a class,  maybe I will bring my Hi-Point for giggles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:
I had a class where someone  used a broomhandle Mauser, they did fine, lol.

I need to take a class,  maybe I will bring my Hi-Point for giggles.
View Quote
I took my first CCW class many years ago with a Makarov with no sights since that's what I happened to have cheap ammo for, and I didn't want to use up my carry ammo for my carry gun (was in a tight spot money-wise at the time and had run out of plinking ammo for my carry gun). Didn't have any issues passing the class with just point shooting.

Another guy at the same class had some old Beretta .25acp (950 Jetfire maybe?) that jammed every shot, and the only magazine he had didn't seem to feed. I think someone eventually lent him a working gun out of pity. That's about as exotic a gun as I've seen at a class.

I can't remember if I need to take a class to renew my Enhanced Carry Permit, but if I do I should take one of my oddball surplus guns out of the safe for the occasion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:
A CCW class is a terrible class for training.   You have a bunch of laws you have to cover and you have a bunch of people that are barely safe to handle firearms.

A CCW class isn't a guarantee someone is safe to conceal carry, it satisfys a law that shouldn't exist.  

My 0.02, from someone that has taught a bunch of people to shoot and has one of those "Certified ####### Instructor" certificates around here somewhere.
View Quote

Exactly, and the is no need for a CCW in Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#18]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
I took the E-CCW class with Joe and it went well.  They also give the details/certificate for Oregon if you want a permit there.

https://idahofirearmsclasses.com/product/idaho-enhanced-or-class/
View Quote

I may sign up for this one - I would like my permit for out of state needs.

Edit - ok I signed up for it.  I've been to Black's Creek many times.  I may have to show up with an HK P7M8.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By joshuathepigslayer:

Exactly, and the is no need for a CCW in Idaho.
View Quote

Having an Enhanced CCW in Idaho allows you to carry in the blue States on this map, Nevada and WA which touch us wouldn't allow you to carry without it. You can also carry on a College campus and you get to bypass the background check when you buy a gun. On top of that it's Federally illegal to carry a gun without a permit in a school zone. Many people don't know this as it's seldom enforced but the way things are going with the alphabet boys it wouldn't surprise me if they start enforcing it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

Having an Enhanced CCW in Idaho allows you to carry in the blue States on this map, Nevada and WA which touch us wouldn't allow you to carry without it. You can also carry on a College campus and you get to bypass the background check when you buy a gun. On top of that it's Federally illegal to carry a gun without a permit in a school zone. Many people don't know this as it's seldom enforced but the way things are going with the alphabet boys it wouldn't surprise me if they start enforcing it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65327/Capture_JPG-3123771.JPG
View Quote

To be more specific, one only needs a CCW to bypass an NICS check. Regarding school zones, you're still talking about college/university campuses right? Cause news to me if it's legal to carry a gun in a k-12 zone with an enhanced permit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#21]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

To be more specific, one only needs a CCW to bypass an NICS check. Regarding school zones, you're still talking about college/university campuses right? Cause news to me if it's legal to carry a gun in a k-12 zone with an enhanced permit.
View Quote

Correct you only need a basic ID CCW to bypass the NICS check.

There's a difference between school grounds and school ZONE. In Idaho it's illegal to carry a gun onto a K-12 campus while there are school activities going on.

It's Federally illegal to have a gun within 1000 feet of a school without a CCW. You don't even need to step foot on campus and you're in violation, just driving down the street 999 feet away from the campus with a loaded gun and no permit you're in violation.

Here's part of an article on the subject.

The prohibition of firearms in school zones does not apply if any of the following provisions are met.

(i) on private property not part of school grounds; [like a home or other private property that is within 1000 feet of a school but isn't public property.]

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license; [So if you have a concealed carry permit, license, or another official document which permits you to possess the firearm assuming that there is some qualification standard in order to receive that permit/license.]

(iii) that is— [speaking of the firearm itself]

(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone; [like if the individual has the firearm in order to participate in the school's rifle club]

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; [So if the school has hired or contracted an armed security guard for example.]

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

So, even in states with “Constitutional Carry or Permitless Carry” one should still consider obtaining a permit as it allows one to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school.

Please note that the permit only makes this law not apply to you when in the state where that permit was issued.

Link to article
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

Correct you only need a basic ID CCW to bypass the NICS check.

There's a difference between school grounds and school ZONE. In Idaho it's illegal to carry a gun onto a K-12 campus while there are school activities going on.

It's Federally illegal to have a gun within 1000 feet of a school without a CCW. You don't even need to step foot on campus and you're in violation, just driving down the street 999 feet away from the campus with a loaded gun and no permit you're in violation.

Here's part of an article on the subject.

The prohibition of firearms in school zones does not apply if any of the following provisions are met.

(i) on private property not part of school grounds; [like a home or other private property that is within 1000 feet of a school but isn't public property.]

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license; [So if you have a concealed carry permit, license, or another official document which permits you to possess the firearm assuming that there is some qualification standard in order to receive that permit/license.]

(iii) that is— [speaking of the firearm itself]

(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone; [like if the individual has the firearm in order to participate in the school's rifle club]

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; [So if the school has hired or contracted an armed security guard for example.]

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

So, even in states with “Constitutional Carry or Permitless Carry” one should still consider obtaining a permit as it allows one to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school.

Please note that the permit only makes this law not apply to you when in the state where that permit was issued.

Link to article
View Quote

Sheesh. I always thought it was school grounds, not 1000 feet away on a sidewalk or whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top