Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2023 5:53:05 PM EDT
From multiple people I have heard that the Brocks Gap Training Center sold their property, signed a one year lease to keep operating it, and has purchased a new property in SE St. Clair County where they plan to move.

Anybody able to confirm that?  

The new property was identified to me as being between US 231 and Wolfe Creek rd, just off Camp Creek Road.   That is a pretty remote location for their current membership, so if true I suspect they are about to loose a lot of members because of the distance to get to that area.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This is true.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Always wondered how long that prime real estate would remain a 2A haven.  Money talks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Would be about 15 minutes according to google
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Would be about 15 minutes according to google
View Quote

Less than 30 for me…
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I dropped my membership about 7-8 years ago when Rockford opened, I only drove to BGTC for matches (no membership required) and the rifle range (pre CMP the longest in these parts) but the new location will be approximately 2.5 air miles away from us so I will probably rejoin...if they will have me again
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there a couple times.

What sucks is that range was there WAY before any of those houses were. Yet they're being forced because of complaints about noise. Or the simple fact that people don't like guns and a gun range means bad people go there to learn how to shoot kids in a school.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#9]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
Yet they're being forced because of complaints about noise. Or the simple fact that people don't like guns and a gun range means bad people go there to learn how to shoot kids in a school.
View Quote

Actually, it's about $$$.

The land is worth a lot more selling it for a housing development than it is leasing it for a range.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billbotts] [#10]
sooner or later the politics in Hoover were going to get them, there was already one episode where the city was thinking about a "needed connector road" which is of course not needed in any way but it would give them the excuse of eminent domain to force the sale and take it.....I think their board has understood they were going to loose the land that way some day

the developers have more political influence than all the whiney Karen neighbors, but the combination spelled doom long term because the politics was going to drive Hoover into taking their land by the only legal means available to them....BGTC has long been in compliance and is certainly covered by the AL range protection act, but that does not prevent Hoover from saying we need this land for a road....Just prevents them shutting it down as a nuisance or zoning them out of business..

Had lunch with a few members there this week, they told me the last round fired will be November 1st 2024, although they will still have access to the site to remove structures, hardware, etc. for a short period after that.  Knowing what I know about the new site they had better be moving with the earth work soon, lots of dirt to move to create what they hope to have.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
I hope St Clair lets them.

Shelby co would not give a permit to open a range and training center.

View Quote

Have they secured the permit to open the range?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Some things probably don’t need to be talked about on the internet
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a shame. Will be a lot less convenient way out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
A little, but at least it will be open with multiple ranges to shoot on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a shame. I am giving Birminham serious retirement relocation consideration and was going to join that facility.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Depending on the part of town you live in, it will still be a viable option.
At least by moving it will remain open.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought about joining, but the rules they have for joining were just too much for me. You had to be a member of the NRA (not gonna happen), you had to take part in a shooting match (not interested), and you needed a current member "sponsoring" (not the word they used, but I can't remember the exact words) you. I knew 2 of the members (my cousin and his son-in-law), so they were cool with it. But the other rules were just weird, imo. Too much to worry about.

I just wanted a range I could go to and shoot at some targets. So I joined the one I'm at now and that's all I did. It costs $25/month and I can go anytime I want and shoot as long as I want. The only real rule they had was you have to be legally allowed to own a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
A little, but at least it will be open with multiple ranges to shoot on.
View Quote
Very true. Better than losing it altogether.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought about joining, but the rules they have for joining were just too much for me. You had to be a member of the NRA (not gonna happen), you had to take part in a shooting match (not interested), and you needed a current member "sponsoring" (not the word they used, but I can't remember the exact words) you. I knew 2 of the members (my cousin and his son-in-law), so they were cool with it. But the other rules were just weird, imo. Too much to worry about.
View Quote

Just as a clarification, there are multiple Gun orgs they will let you support, not just the NRA anymore. I know many people have a problem with the NRA, so they changed that rule. Second, I don't know if they are enforcing the match requirement, but you really should give it a try. There's so many different matches that surely one might meet your liking - there really are great a group of folks out there.

However, care to share which range you joined? I like the sound of it!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By libertyguns9:

Just as a clarification, there are multiple Gun orgs they will let you support, not just the NRA anymore. I know many people have a problem with the NRA, so they changed that rule. Second, I don't know if they are enforcing the match requirement, but you really should give it a try. There's so many different matches that surely one might meet your liking - there really are great a group of folks out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This news interests me. The area of the new listed location is about a 15 minute drive for me. I once had chance to join Heritage (in Argo). A then current member and friend gave me the application, but was told i absolutely could not join without a Negotiating Rights Away memberbership. The fact that I've been a GOA and SAF member for years would not count.

I've never been to Brock's Gap. If invited for membership, what are the annual dues?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Do what you want.

But the NRA in AL, is why we got legal SBR, SBS, Shall Issue CCW permits, 18 yr old CCW permits, no sheriff rules/restrictions, outlawed making open carry arrests based on Disorderly Conduct charges, no restrictions on carry on public property, and Constitutional Carry. This all started in 2010.

No other gun organization got that done but one, the NRA. You should send them a thank you note.

View Quote

Maybe now with new leadership they can get their head out of their ass and become useful again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Flysc: could not join without a Negotiating Rights Away memberbership. The fact that I've been a GOA and SAF member for years would not count.
View Quote

Has absolutely nothing to do with the lobbying part of any of those organizations.  Heritage, like Brocks Gap is insured by the NRA affiliate program, the place clubs have to go for liability insurance.  The covenants of those insurance programs require 100% of new members to be NRA members at the time they are admitted and it has to be documented.

In the 21st century nobody is stupid enough to run a gun club without liability insurance and the NRA is the source for all these clubs.

GOA, FPC, and JPFO etal all do not offer liability insurance programs for clubs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By billbotts:

Has absolutely nothing to do with the lobbying part of any of those organizations.  Heritage, like Brocks Gap is insured by the NRA affiliate program, the place clubs have to go for liability insurance.  The covenants of those insurance programs require 100% of new members to be NRA members at the time they are admitted and it has to be documented.

In the 21st century nobody is stupid enough to run a gun club without liability insurance and the NRA is the source for all these clubs.

GOA, FPC, and JPFO etal all do not offer liability insurance programs for clubs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billbotts:
Originally Posted By Flysc: could not join without a Negotiating Rights Away memberbership. The fact that I've been a GOA and SAF member for years would not count.

I had no idea that was the reason that all of these clubs required NRA membership. Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]

I just wanted a range I could go to and shoot at some targets. So I joined the one I'm at now and that's all I did. It costs $25/month and I can go anytime I want and shoot as long as I want. The only real rule they had was you have to be legally allowed to own a weapon.
View Quote
Assuming you're still talking about Brock's Gap, here are their current membership requirements:

"Application approval is based on ONE of the items below.

- Applicant attends two Training/Match events at BGTC and returns the completed participation form with the Trainer, Match director or Range Officer signature on their application as sponsor.

- An active Board member signs the application as a sponsor.

- Applicant meets with two active members at the range, and they sign application as sponsors after witnessing the applicant's firearm proficiency, appropriate safety-oriented attitude, and safe gun handling skills. Please contact the New Membership Secretary for assistance with sponsors.

The best way to become acquainted with our members and to get their sponsorship is by participating in BGTC matches, training events or other activities. Many events are held on weekends, all are open to the public, and represent a wide variety of shooting disciplines. Please refer to the BGTC event calendar for scheduled matches and training classes.

We also have members that are willing to meet applicants at the range to get to know them and spend time shooting with them with the goal being to sponsor the applicant. Email the New Membership Secretary for more information.

Candidates for membership must have an active email account, be members of the NRA, GOA, or 2nd Amendment Foundation, possess a valid Conceal Carry Permit, have a valid driver's license, and be legally able to possess and acquire firearms."

Seems pretty reasonable to me.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

FOP Range in Pleasant Grove.

Originally Posted By Merlin:
Assuming you're still talking about Brock's Gap, here are their current membership requirements:

"Application approval is based on ONE of the items below.

- Applicant attends two Training/Match events at BGTC and returns the completed participation form with the Trainer, Match director or Range Officer signature on their application as sponsor.

- An active Board member signs the application as a sponsor.

- Applicant meets with two active members at the range, and they sign application as sponsors after witnessing the applicant's firearm proficiency, appropriate safety-oriented attitude, and safe gun handling skills. Please contact the New Membership Secretary for assistance with sponsors.

The best way to become acquainted with our members and to get their sponsorship is by participating in BGTC matches, training events or other activities. Many events are held on weekends, all are open to the public, and represent a wide variety of shooting disciplines. Please refer to the BGTC event calendar for scheduled matches and training classes.

We also have members that are willing to meet applicants at the range to get to know them and spend time shooting with them with the goal being to sponsor the applicant. Email the New Membership Secretary for more information.

Candidates for membership must have an active email account, be members of the NRA, GOA, or 2nd Amendment Foundation, possess a valid Conceal Carry Permit, have a valid driver's license, and be legally able to possess and acquire firearms."

Seems pretty reasonable to me.  

The info I posted was from the last time I was there (with a member) and read the requirements on the piece of paper they handed me. Granted, that was several years ago (pre-Covid by at least a couple years, too), so obviously they've changed.

Still, the place they're moving to is further away from me and not really worth the drive. The old (still current) location is maybe 15 minutes from me. The new one would be considerably more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I live near Brock’s Gap. I will miss the daily sounds of freedom.

The city and state are putting in a new exit to the interstate up the road and arguing about money for some big changes nearby (top golf style place and more shopping and medical).

Once the exit is complete the area will able to handle the kind of traffic another gigantic subdivision will create.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m feeling less and less optimistic about the move in November. Not a tree cut or a shovel of dirt moved.
Appears the board has to much infighting to get things done
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#30]
They were there last week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top