Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 7:16:43 PM EDT
Found a rifle in stock at Sportsmans Warehouse in Cheyenne. They said they can sell it to Colorado residents but must abide by the 3 day wait period. I ended up ordering it to my local Sportsmans Warehouse. No sense in driving up that far if they are still going to have a 3 day wait.

Does anyone know the legality (either fed or state here in Colorado) of purchasing a rifle in a non-waiting period state such as Wyoming or one of our other neighboring free states? Federal law allows the sale to take place, but it seems like its up to the business to decide on the waiting period. I can sort of see why a large retail store would be extra cautious from an optics standpoint. Hell, even the local Sportsmans holds the gun for 4 days as their policy says the first day doesnt count (I'll stick to Scheels / LGS / Online from here on out).
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I know, if you buy a firearm out of state, you are subject to all laws and regulations in your home state, including waiting periods.  It has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state where you can pick it up.  If you're from a state with a ban, you can't buy said weapon out of state.  At least that's the way I understand it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hockeysew] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tripleoption:
From what I know, if you buy a firearm out of state, you are subject to all laws and regulations in your home state, including waiting periods.  It has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state where you can pick it up.  If you're from a state with a ban, you can't buy said weapon out of state.  At least that's the way I understand it.
View Quote

You have it generally correct-
A handgun purchased out of state of residency MUST be shipped to a FFL in the purchasers state of residence.
A long gun may be transferred to the out of state purchaser directly.
ALL firearm purchases by a non resident must comply with the non resident’s home state laws/regulations.
Some states have their own laws regarding transfers to non residents.

Brings up a question- if I go to Alaska for a Kodiak bear hunt and forget my back up handgun could I purchase one and have it in my possession lawfully?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Battleicious:
Found a rifle in stock at Sportsmans Warehouse in Cheyenne. They said they can sell it to Colorado residents but must abide by the 3 day wait period. I ended up ordering it to my local Sportsmans Warehouse. No sense in driving up that far if they are still going to have a 3 day wait.

Does anyone know the legality (either fed or state here in Colorado) of purchasing a rifle in a non-waiting period state such as Wyoming or one of our other neighboring free states? Federal law allows the sale to take place, but it seems like its up to the business to decide on the waiting period. I can sort of see why a large retail store would be extra cautious from an optics standpoint. Hell, even the local Sportsmans holds the gun for 4 days as their policy says the first day doesnt count (I'll stick to Scheels / LGS / Online from here on out).
View Quote

Tons of people, from CO calling and trying to buy guns from Sportsmans in Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

A handgun purchased out of state of residency MUST be shipped to a FFL in the purchasers state of residence.
ALL firearm purchases by a non resident must comply with the non resident’s home state laws/regulations.

Brings up a question- if I go to Alaska for a Kodiak bear hunt and forget my back up handgun could I purchase one and have it in my possession lawfully?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
Originally Posted By tripleoption:

Didn’t you already answer your own question?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By soncorn:

Didn’t you already answer your own question?
View Quote

Well sort of- In this situation you are not transporting it to your home state.
I guess a better way of putting it is can you use it in the state it was purchased for such a reason?
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top