Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:55:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By manac:
Quick question.  I need to fill out a “sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.”
Is there any further guidance on what needs to be included?
View Quote

You only need the signed affidavit if you are not including a copy of the DPS-3-C or proof of purchase or sales receipt. Plenty of examples of a signed sworn (i.e. notarized) affidavit one can find searching the internet or seeing other posts in this subforum.

The instructions are right on the DSP-414-C form if mailing, or in the how to register PDF:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DESPP/SLFU/firearms/DPS-414-C-Assault-Weapon-Certificate-Application-revised-8-16-23.pdf
Instructions:
1. Type or print all information in all sections. (Must be legible or it will be returned.)
2. Submit proof that you purchased this weapon on or prior to June 7, 2023 in the form of a valid sales receipt and/or a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.
Note: Thumbprint is required for application to be processed.

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DESPP/SLFU/firearms/AW-how-to-PDF.pdf
BEFORE BEGINNING THIS PROCESS, PLEASE HAVE THE FOLLOWING READY AND AVAILABLE AS SEPARATE FILES:
-COPY OF YOUR COMPLETED AND SIGNED DPS-414-C (WITH THE THUMBPRINT)
-A COPY OF YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A DPS 3, RECEIPT OR SWORN AFFIDAVIT

PS: Example affidavit modified from 2013 use:
https://i.imgur.com/BWRgHWX.jpg
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
On the DPS 414-C form, there is a perforated line, and below that there is a form which looks the same as the one above the line.  Are we supposed to fill both (top & bottom) parts per firearm?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#3]
Originally Posted By Ctgunner:
Are we supposed to fill both (top & bottom) parts per firearm?
View Quote

In 2013, and when mailing it in, yes. SLFU would detach the bottom half, stamp a cert # in the cert # area then mail it back to people. I'd assume one would do the same this time around, fill out the top and bottom (leaving cert # blank and if desired SS# blank) then either upload it if doing it online or mail it in if doing mail in. Its one DPS-414-C form PER firearm. Not two firearms per form.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

In 2013, and when mailing it in, yes. SLFU would detach the bottom half, stamp a cert # in the cert # area then mail it back to people. I'd assume one would do the same this time around, fill out the top and bottom (leaving cert # blank and if desired SS# blank) then either upload it if doing it online or mail it in if doing mail in. Its one DPS-414-C form PER firearm. Not two firearms per form.
View Quote

thanks, that makes sense
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.
I don’t have any DPS-3-C’s, affidavits for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I know prebans are no longer allowed and must be registered. What about preen handguns that have threaded barrels?

Second question, are any of you mailing them in to make the state's life harder?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe pre-ban pistols need a certificate of possession if it has the evil features (threaded barrel).

I have some that I'm registering because in need them as suppressor hosts...
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If someone is active duty navy they are exempt but once separated they have 90 days to register. Can an AR lower that was purchased after June of 2023 be registered by the newly separated Navy member?

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#9]
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
If someone is active duty navy they are exempt but once separated they have 90 days to register. Can an AR lower that was purchased after June of 2023 be registered by the newly separated Navy member?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes. There are specific carve outs in the following (supplemental - PA 23-53 updated) statutes for AW's obtained for use in the discharge of their official duties.
Sec. 53-202d. Certificate of possession of assault weapon. Certificate of transfer of assault weapon to gun dealer. Circumstances where possession of assault weapon authorized.
Sec. 53-202x. Declaration of possession of large capacity magazine. Regulations.

Example for 2023 assault weapons obtained "for use in the discharge of official duties":
(B) No person who lawfully possesses an assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (1), (2) or (4) of subsection (b) of section 53-202c shall be required to obtain a certificate of possession pursuant to this subdivision with respect to an assault weapon used for official duties, except that any person described in subdivision (2) of subsection (b) of section 53-202c who purchases a 2023 assault weapon for use in the discharge of official duties who retires or is otherwise separated from service shall apply within ninety days of such retirement or separation from service to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for a certificate of possession with respect to such assault weapon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Little confused.
What needs/can be registered this year?
Any other bought before 2023 - correct.
Any preban bought before 2023?  Are there any prebans that can’t be registered?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#11]
Originally Posted By manac:
Little confused.
What needs/can be registered this year?
Any other bought before 2023 - correct.
Any preban bought before 2023?  Are there any prebans that can’t be registered?
View Quote

What is supposed to be registered as a "2023 Assault Weapon" by May 1st, 2024; is any firearm, that was lawfully/constructively possessed prior to 6/7/23, that meets the following new section from the AWB:

(G) Any semiautomatic firearm other than a pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun, regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that has at least one of the following:
(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
(ii) An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches at some location outside of the pistol grip;
(iii) A fixed magazine with the ability to accept more than ten rounds;
(iv) A flash suppressor or silencer, or a threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor or silencer;
(v) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to fire the firearm without being burned, except a slide that encloses the barrel;
(vi) A second hand grip; or
(vii) An arm brace or other stabilizing brace that could allow such firearm to be fired from the shoulder, with or without a strap designed to attach to an individual's arm;

(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994;
-----------------------------------------

Example of the AWB As it was on Jan 1, 2023: https://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2012/title-53/chapter-943/section-53-202a/
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Last night I pulled out my DPS-3 forms needed to comply with the BS. That's when I discovered that one of the forms is inaccurate. It is a for an AR lower receiver. Manufacturer is listed as UNKNOWN, yet plainly visible on the receiver. Type is PISTOL. The only thing correct on the form about the receiver is the serial number. This is going to be interesting!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Do we need to register others that were sbr'd ( free atf stamp) ?

Do we need to register others that were aow tax stamped ( paid stamp)

Do we register stripped lowers bought before 2023?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cmandak:

View Quote

I'll take a crack at this one question.

That depends upon what you have done or intend to do with the lowers. If you have or intend to build it into something CT defines as an AW then yes you must register it. If it is only a stripped lower forever to be used as a paperweight or one of the 3 categories you can still purchase a lower for then no you should not need to register it. However you have closed the door on building it into a centerfire semi AR unless and until SCOTUS restores our rights or you move to a free state.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:08:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#15]

View All Quotes

Register as in regsiter as a 2023 Assault Weapon? Yes. If it violates the new AWB sections posted above then it is supposed to be registered as a 2023 assault weapon. ATF/NFA (SBR, AOW, SBS, etc) are separate from CT's AWB. If your "other", regardless of NFA status, violates the previously posted "other" feature ban language then it is supposed to be registered as a 2023 assault weapon with CT by May 1, 2024.

If you want build the "other" stripped lower into a centerfire semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle or into a semiautomatic detachable magazine pistol or any other configuration that violates CT's AWB then yes you would register it as a "2023 assault weapon" by May 1, 2024.

If you choose not to register the "other" stripped lower as an assault weapon you are limited, legally, to building out into one of the following general configurations:
  • Fixed magazine semiautomatic rifle
  • Non semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle (i.e. bolt action, pump action, lever action or some other non semiautomatic configuration)
  • Rimfire semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle that complies with the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013. (i.e. pistol grip with no threaded barrel, no collapsing/folding stock, no bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, no grenade launcher)
  • A semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle that uses a "palm swell" style stock and grip like the Fightlite SCR, FM Ranch Rifle, Sig MCX-Regulator or similar rifles.
  • Or build it out into some other CT AWB (both of them) compliant firearm.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I suddenly confused myself….
Does (ii) make a 10/22, or a m1 carbine AW’s?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#17]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
View Quote

The new language banning "others" applies to "semiautomatic firearm other than a pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun". Is the 10/22 or M1 carbine something OTHER than a rifle, pistol or shotgun?

Remember CT has specific definitions for rifle, pistol and shotgun:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2024/sup/chap_950.htm#sec_53a-3

(16) “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger;

(17) “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger;

(18) “Pistol” or “revolver” means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

(19) “Firearm” means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahhhh was not thinking when I read the first part, thanks sbhaven.  

So a preban ar that was owned prior to the 2013 registration and was not registered(because it didn’t need to be back then) is now required to be registered, correct?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
So a preban ar that was owned prior to the 2013 registration and was not registered(because it didn’t need to be back then) is now required to be registered, correct?
View Quote

That's what the language posted above/below indicates:

"(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994;"

For an example of the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013, click here.

Now here comes the gray area. What happens if one has a preban that has only ONE evil feature from the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013. It doesn't violate the two more more evil feature ban from the Jan 1, 2013 law. But it may violate the single evil feature ban from the current AWB's rifle, pistol or shotgun evil feature ban section. You could be following the law by not registering the preban because it doesn't have two or more evil features, but then be arrested for having an AW that violates the single feature ban. This is the kind of stupid shit Democrats call "common sense gun laws".

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
^Yea, this is the problem.  The more you look into it, the more questions arise, and you begin to doubt yourself.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#21]
What is the rationale for them needing your SSN and your Driver's License number
if you already have a CT Pistol Permit # on record?
(An SSN was never intended to be a citizen identification tag, but we already knew that...)
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Some 10/22s or M1 carbines would need to be registered.

If an M1 carbine or 10/22 was a preban with requisite features, it would need to be registered (e.g. an Inland paratrooper configuration M1 Carbine with the folding stock and pistol grip, A pre 13SEP1994 M1 carbine with a beyonet lug and the flash hider, certain preban pistols that were built on M1 carbine style actions, etc....). A stock M1 carbine, which is featureless (e.g. early models without bayonet lug with fixed palm-swell stock) or later versions with the bayonet lug only and a palm swell stock would not be AWs. Typical stock 10/22s typically would not need to be, but some would (e.g. pistol grip stock and threaded barrel, pistol grip and folding or collapsing stock, others based on 10/22  style actions, etc...)
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#23]
Originally Posted By Mike-N-Ike:
What is the rationale for them needing your SSN and your Driver's License number
if you already have a CT Pistol Permit # on record?
(An SSN was never intended to be a citizen identification tag, but we already knew that...)
View Quote

Probably to differentiate those with common names. A pistol permit or other firearm permit/certificate is not required for AW ownership and some will not have a permit/certificate. One typically does not have to include their SS#. For what ever reason they omitted the "optional" language in the 2023 version of the DPS-414-C form that was in the field for the SS# on the 2013 form version.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
anyone got approval to date?
mine still says - "pending review"
submitted last november 2023
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ROMRAM:
anyone got approval to date?
View Quote

No one appears to have reported approvals yet. SLFU themselves, in their "how-to" register an AW pdf says that it will take a "substantial" amount of time to process the applications. Most speculate it could be several months after May 1st before approvals (or denials) start to roll out. In 2013/2014 (the last time they opened up registration) people didn't start getting approvals until two to three months after Jan 1st the registration close date.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok so I just created an account to take a look. I have MULTIPLE firearms listed that I haven't owned in years.

Additionally I registered multiple "assault weapons" and got the certificate of possession back in I believe 4/2014. I haven't bought any new lowers since then.

My questions are-

1. Do I have to re-register them again?
2. When I did it initially (4/2014) I registered one of my pistols so I could run a threaded barrel and suppressor on it but I regret not doing more. Can I do that now?
3. I'm confused as to the purpose of the state asking us to do this again, do I need to take any action this time around?
4. I saw a snippet in this thread that it seemed as though you could at some point in some way, get a free tax stamp from registering an AR as an SBR, what's this about?

Sorry I'm frustrated and could use some help in layman's,  ie dumb kids terms.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:13:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#27]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
Ok so I just created an account to take a look. I have MULTIPLE firearms listed that I haven't owned in years.

Additionally I registered multiple "assault weapons" and got the certificate of possession back in I believe 4/2014. I haven't bought any new lowers since then.

My questions are-

2. When I did it initially (4/2014) I registered one of my pistols so I could run a threaded barrel and suppressor on it but I regret not doing more. Can I do that now?
3. I'm confused as to the purpose of the state asking us to do this again, do I need to take any action this time around?
4. I saw a snippet in this thread that it seemed as though you could at some point in some way, get a free tax stamp from registering an AR as an SBR, what's this about?

View Quote

1. No you do not have to register any previously DPS-414-C Assault Weapon Certificate of Possession registered firearms.

2. Technically only firearms that are "others" (ie not a rifle, or pistol or shotgun) and firearms that are prebans (aka manufactured prior to 9/13/94) are supposed to be registered this time around. We don't know yet how strict SLFU will be on what they allow to be registered.

3. In very general terms. The initial registration (DPS-3-C) is just a record of the sale/transfer of the firearm. The assault weapon registration is so you can retain legal possession of a firearm that you lawfully possess for which the state has deemed illegal on June 6th, 2023. The latest assault weapon registration period ends on May 1st (really end of day on April 30th).

4. ATF NFA (SBR, AOW, SBS) are an entirely separate set of laws and requirements. You are supposed to comply with both sets of firearm laws, Federal and CT. The ATF pistol brace SBR "free tax stamp" offer expired almost a year ago (May 31, 2023). If you want to SBR a firearm then it's filling out and submitting a Form 1, paying $200 and waiting for ATF to approve the SBR application. ATF, depending on who the examiner is, may also require the firearm being SBR'd also have a CT assault weapon registration certificate. See the ATF website for more on SBR'ing a firearm.

The state's weapons registry, which the list of firearms listed in your name that you see when you access the online portal is pulled from, is well known to be full of errors. People both on this subforum and on other CT gun centric forums have reported seeing firearms they've previously sold or that they've never owned still listed under their name when they log into the online portal. In other cases the firearm information listed is misspelled, missing, or incorrect. What you have seen is normal. The online portal has a link to start an assault weapon registration for any firearm not listed. For more information on how to register an assault weapon see SLFU's PDF: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/despp/slfu/firearms/aw-how-to-pdf.pdf Also there is the following video someone did:

Registering your "ASSAULT WEAPON" in CT
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]

1. No you do not have to register any previously DPS-414-C Assault Weapon Certificate of Possession registered firearms.

2. Technically only firearms that are "others" (ie not a rifle, or pistol or shotgun) and firearms that are prebans (aka manufactured prior to 9/13/94) are supposed to be registered this time around. We don't know yet how strict SLFU will be on what they allow to be registered.

3. In very general terms. The initial registration (DPS-3-C) is just a record of the sale/transfer of the firearm. The assault weapon registration is so you can retain legal possession of a firearm that you lawfully possess for which the state has deemed illegal on June 6th, 2023. The latest assault weapon registration period ends on May 1st (really end of day on April 30th).

4. ATF NFA (SBR, AOW, SBS) are an entirely separate set of laws and requirements. You are supposed to comply with both sets of firearm laws, Federal and CT. The ATF pistol brace SBR "free tax stamp" offer expired almost a year ago (May 31, 2023). If you want to SBR a firearm then it's filling out and submitting a Form 1, paying $200 and waiting for ATF to approve the SBR application. ATF, depending on who the examiner is, may also require the firearm being SBR'd also have a CT assault weapon registration certificate. See the ATF website for more on SBR'ing a firearm.

The state's weapons registry, which the list of firearms listed in your name that you see when you access the online portal is pulled from, is well known to be full of errors. People both on this subforum and on other CT gun centric forums have reported seeing firearms they've previously sold or that they've never owned still listed under their name when they log into the online portal. In other cases the firearm information listed is misspelled, missing, or incorrect. What you have seen is normal. The online portal has a link to start an assault weapon registration for any firearm not listed. For more information on how to register an assault weapon see SLFU's PDF: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/despp/slfu/firearms/aw-how-to-pdf.pdf Also there is the following video someone did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T585GZLzQA
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jtdam24:

My questions are-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T585GZLzQA

This was an incredible reply to my post. Thank you so much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Blaster3094:
Last night I pulled out my DPS-3 forms needed to comply with the BS. That's when I discovered that one of the forms is inaccurate. It is a for an AR lower receiver. Manufacturer is listed as UNKNOWN, yet plainly visible on the receiver. Type is PISTOL. The only thing correct on the form about the receiver is the serial number. This is going to be interesting!
View Quote

I did this too, and noticed errors on DPS-3's from nearly 10 years ago... FFL's that aren't even in business any more.  I'm thinking of going the affidavit route instead.... only questions I have is if I list all the intended items on a single affidavit to be notarized, will they accept the same one affidavit for each specific item even if multiple are listed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#30]
What did you guys do about adding guns that dont have manufacturers listed in the drop down menu when manually adding guns they dont have recorded.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:08:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#32]
Originally Posted By Nickelsig229:
What did you guys do about adding guns that dont have manufacturers listed in the drop down menu when manually adding guns they dont have recorded.
View All Quotes

If you haven't read the SLFU instructions on how to register an assault weapon, you should. It addresses your question on page 4, step 5. You select "unknown manufacturer" from the manufacturers list:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/despp/slfu/firearms/aw-how-to-pdf.pdf
STEP 5
ON THE NEXT SCREEN YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO:
1. VERIFY YOUR ADDRESS
2. ATTACH A COPY OF THE COMPLETED DPS-414, TO INCLUDE FINGERPRINT (ONE FORM FOR EACH
FIREARM). CLICK SAVE. LINK WILL APPEAR NEXT TO “CHOOSE FILE” IF UPLOADED CORRECTLY.
3. ATTACH A COPY OF THE DPS-3, BILL OF SALE, OR AFFIDAVIT FOR THE PURCHASE OF THIS FIREARM.
LINK WILL APPEAR NEXT TO “CHOOSE FILE” IF UPLOADED CORRECTLY.
4. PROVIDE THE INFORMATION ON THE FIREARM (IF IT IS NOT ALREADY REGISTERED TO YOU). *PLEASE
SELECT “UNKNOWN MANUFACTURER” IF THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR FIREARM IS NOT LISTED*

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#33]
There wasn't an option for unknown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#34]
There wasn't an option for unknown.
View Quote

Yes there is. It is between "UNIWERKE" and "URIGUEN" in the Manufacturer selection box on the (online portal) page where you enter the information for a firearm not listed on the Assault Weapon Overview page.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks I'll have to resubmit them. I swear I looked and didn't see it. I even typed unknown in the field it should have jumped to it
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldnt worry, they should kick it back to fix errors.

I had to add my kp9 to my list, then 414c it. I selected "Kalashnikov" as that is what my dps3 said, Kalashnikov/red planet arsenal. idk. technically it was made by KalashnikovUSA, my dps3 had Kalashnikov AND red planet on it. so I chose what I had available. Kalashnikov. they are the original manufacture of the firearm...well, KUSA was. I should have done unknown, but I didnt know at the time and im already submitted.  the state can do their part as far as im concerned. I tried. I dont care. im trying to be law abiding but this shit is just too confusing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok, have all my paperwork ready to go. However, I discovered my fingerprints come out unreadable in the PDFs!!!  I am rolling good prints, my scanner is just not reading them.  Ideas?  Do I need to find a better scanner?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By msg1956:
Ok, have all my paperwork ready to go. However, I discovered my fingerprints come out unreadable in the PDFs!!!  I am rolling good prints, my scanner is just not reading them.  Ideas?  Do I need to find a better scanner?
View Quote

Check the resolution settings
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:40:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#39]
Originally Posted By msg1956:
View Quote

One thing to try if your scanner won't properly scan fingerprints (after checking and adjusting the scanner settings as the previous poster indicated) is to try using a "scanner app" for a smart phone. Assuming you have a smart phone. The scanner app might be able to pick up the fingerprints.

Another option is to scan to an image file rather than scanning to a PDF file. If the fingerpint comes out legible when saved as an image file then simply open the image file and export, save or print it to PDF format and see if the fingerprint remains legible. Could be the scanner save to PDF option settings are reducing the resolution of the scanned image when saving to PDF. One can check those settings to see if they can be adjusted for better resolution.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm a firearms instructor and have a couple former students who asked me about mailing in their DPS 414C & DPS-3 (or sales receipts). Does anyone know the specific address and department to mail it attention to? I couldn't find it on the DESPP main page. I don't want to steer folks wrong and have their paperwork lost in the shuffle or go to the wrong place at the main SFLU address. I'd probably have them send it in certified mail, just to have proof they submitted everything on time... I appreciate any input - thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#41]
Originally Posted By JeepinMaxx:
I'm a firearms instructor and have a couple former students who asked me about mailing in their DPS 414C & DPS-3 (or sales receipts). Does anyone know the specific address and department to mail it attention to? I couldn't find it on the DESPP main page. I don't want to steer folks wrong and have their paperwork lost in the shuffle or go to the wrong place at the main SFLU address. I'd probably have them send it in certified mail, just to have proof they submitted everything on time... I appreciate any input - thanks
View Quote

Note that SLFU themselves state that they "strongly" recommend one use the online portal over mailing. Not sure why they haven't put up the mailing directions this time around, maybe to discourage people from using the mail in method. Cannot remember if they also didn't put up directions in 2013.

Back in 2013 this address worked for mailing the AW cert:

Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP)
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit,
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457-2389

Or use the address on the main SLFU website:

Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
Division of State Police - HQ
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457

No idea if one can still do so, but on the firearm and permit related forms and information page it does state one could drop it off at SLFU's HQ office, at least in 2013: "... and have the affidavit notarized prior to mailing or dropping it off at the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit office."

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
I wouldnt worry, they should kick it back to fix errors.
I should have done unknown, but I didnt know at the time and im already submitted.  the state can do their part as far as im concerned. I tried. I dont care. im trying to be law abiding but this shit is just too confusing.
View Quote

I noticed that on one of my on-line submitted DPS-414-C forms, I neglected to sign it.
No obvious way on the website to upload a new pdf to replace the old form.
So I phoned the DESPP and spoke to a woman about what could be done.
She (in overworked State employee voice): "Well, it is what it is, you can't go in and change it and we haven't even started to look at that process yet..."
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeOD82] [#43]
I hope that there's going to be a procedure/timeline to correct mistakes for forms they can't approve.  I did my best to quadruple check everything I submitted, but I'm very good at making mistakes that I don't see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:
I hope that there's going to be a procedure/timeline to correct mistakes for forms they can't approve.  I did my best to quadruple check everything I submitted, but I'm very good at making mistakes that I don't see.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:

Per SLFU if you used the online portal:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/despp/slfu/firearms/aw-how-to-pdf.pdf
SOME THINGS TO NOTE:
*THE LAST DATE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS IS 4/30/2024. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE US A
SUBSTANTIAL TIME TO PROCESS THESE ASSAULT WEAPON APPLICATIONS. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE
EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR
APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED.
*PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, AND EMAIL ARE CORRECT. IF WE HAVE
QUESTIONS OR ISSUES, THIS WILL BE HOW WE CONTACT YOU.

*PLEASE COMPLETE THIS PROMPTLY. THIS WILL ALLOW US AMPLE TIME TO ASSIST WITH ANY
QUESTIONS. EMAIL IS THE BEST METHOD TO CONTACT US REGARDING QUESTIONS
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Do pistols with threaded barrels need to be registered?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:36:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#46]
View All Quotes

I sort of addressed this in an earlier post.

Post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine pistols with threaded barrels have been banned since 2013 unless one was exempted. For preban semiautomatic detachable magazine pistols with threaded barrels, those now fall into a gray area due to the complexity of the AWB that's been modified a number of times with the most recent additions repealing the preban statute and classifying certain prebans as 2023 assault weapons.

The way the current AWB is written preban firearms get registered if they violated the AWB as it was on Jan 1, 2013. The relevant language from the current AWB:
(1)(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994;
If the thread barrel on said preban pistol is the only evil feature then the firearm doesn't meet the criteria (two or more evil features) to be an assault weapon under the Jan 1, 2013 AWB and shouldn't need to be registered as a 2023 assault weapon. However, the single evil feature ban language added in 2013 would technically ban said threaded barrel preban pistol. So one section (previous quote) indicates it's not an AW, but another section (following quote) does.
(1)(E)(iv) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following: ...
(II) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward pistol grip or silencer;
So what should one do? Got me. I'd assume (not a lawyer) that one should likely register the single evil feature preban semiautomatic detachable magazine pistol just to be safe from the uninformed law enforcement officer who stumbles across the preban threaded barrel semiautomatic detachable magazine handgun. One can read the statutes and decide for themselves how to proceed.

Remember boys and girls, this mess is what Democrat politicians call "common sense" gun laws. Laws that are intentionally contradictory and confusing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just finished filling out and uploading the forms for a bunch of stuff they already knew everything about from the DPS-3-C. So fucking stupid. I think I’m as pissed about wasting my time on the compliance as I am about the law.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I ran into an odd situation I haven't heard anyone else have.

I have 3 firearms that I'm trying to register that were not on my list. I clicked the "click here" link and properly input the firearm information. I successfully uploaded the correct forms for the AW registration. But after they were uploaded, there is no submit button as there was with the firearms that were on my list.

I shot an email to the generic SLFU address but I doubt I'll get an answer before Wednesday. I'm planning on mailing the 3 sets of forms that I can't submit.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#49]
If I recall at the bottom of the page below the ds3c section was a button to finalize.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lostman518:
I ran into an odd situation I haven't heard anyone else have.

I have 3 firearms that I'm trying to register that were not on my list. I clicked the "click here" link and properly input the firearm information. I successfully uploaded the correct forms for the AW registration. But after they were uploaded, there is no submit button as there was with the firearms that were on my list.

I shot an email to the generic SLFU address but I doubt I'll get an answer before Wednesday. I'm planning on mailing the 3 sets of forms that I can't submit.

View Quote

Is the step to input a new firearm and upload forms two separate steps?  Do you need to go back to the list once the gun’s input to then upload forms?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top