User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostman518] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Durham68:

Is the step to input a new firearm and upload forms two separate steps?  Do you need to go back to the list once the gun's input to then upload forms?
View Quote
All done on the same page.

ETA: Fixed the glitch. Although my address and the individual firearm info was there and seemingly "saved" I clicked save again then the submit button showed up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By lostman518:

ETA: Fixed the glitch. Although my address and the individual firearm info was there and seemingly "saved" I clicked save again then the submit button showed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lostman518:

Is the step to input a new firearm and upload forms two separate steps?  Do you need to go back to the list once the gun's input to then upload forms?

Did you run into an issue of the state not staying selected?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Did you run into an issue of the state not staying selected?
View Quote
I don't think so. All my info auto populated. The system needed me to physically click the save for the address info then it allowed me to submit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How would one register an 80% that was completed before the 80% serialization requirement and registration date but now needs AW registration?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#5]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
How would one register an 80% that was completed before the 80% serialization requirement and registration date but now needs AW registration?
View All Quotes

There was language in PA 23-53 about serializing unserialized firearms or otherwise declaring them to the state. It appears one was supposed to do so by Jan 1, 2024. See the link for the entire statute which has some exemptions and other language.

Sec. 29-36a. Manufacture of a firearm. Acquisition of unique serial number or other mark of identification. Exceptions. Penalty.
(c) (1) On and after January 1, 2024, no person shall possess a firearm without a serial number or other mark of identification unless such person has (A) declared possession of such firearm pursuant to subdivision (2) or (3) of this subsection, or (B) applied to obtain a unique serial number or other mark of identification from the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) of this section and such person has not yet received such serial number or other mark of identification.

(2) Any person who, prior to January 1, 2024, lawfully possesses a firearm without a serial number or other mark of identification manufactured prior to October 1, 2019, shall apply by January 1, 2024, or, if such person is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States and is unable to apply by January 1, 2024, because such member is or was on official duty outside of this state, shall apply within ninety days of returning to the state to the department to declare possession of such firearm. Such application shall be made on such form and in such manner as the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection prescribes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

There was language in PA 23-53 about serializing unserialized firearms or otherwise declaring them to the state. It appears one was supposed to do so by Jan 1, 2024. See the link for the entire statute which has some exemptions and other language.

Sec. 29-36a. Manufacture of a firearm. Acquisition of unique serial number or other mark of identification. Exceptions. Penalty.
View All Quotes

(c) (1) On and after January 1, 2024, no person shall possess a firearm without a serial number or other mark of identification unless such person has (A) declared possession of such firearm pursuant to subdivision (2) or (3) of this subsection, or (B) applied to obtain a unique serial number or other mark of identification from the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) of this section and such person has not yet received such serial number or other mark of identification.

(2) Any person who, prior to January 1, 2024, lawfully possesses a firearm without a serial number or other mark of identification manufactured prior to October 1, 2019, shall apply by January 1, 2024, or, if such person is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States and is unable to apply by January 1, 2024, because such member is or was on official duty outside of this state, shall apply within ninety days of returning to the state to the department to declare possession of such firearm. Such application shall be made on such form and in such manner as the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection prescribes.
Looks like none of that would apply to an 80% that was serialized prior to the serialization program rollout, no?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#7]
Looks like none of that would apply to an 80% that was serialized prior to the serialization program rollout, no?
View Quote

All I can say is read that entire statute. The state was trying to mandate all firearms have a serial number or that you have to declare it to the state if it didn't. There was an exemption for pre 1968 firearms I think buried somewhere in there. They expanded that language under the guise of so called "ghost gun" ban.

If the lower had a serial number one should be fine. If the lower doesn't have a serial number that is where the issue is with having it registered by Jan 1, 2024 or some thing like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HappyCamel] [#8]

All I can say is read that entire statute. The state was trying to mandate all firearms have a serial number or that you have to declare it to the state if it didn't. There was an exemption for pre 1968 firearms I think buried somewhere in there. They expanded that language under the guise of so called "ghost gun" ban.

If the lower had a serial number one should be fine. If the lower doesn't have a serial number that is where the issue is with having it registered by Jan 1, 2024 or some thing like that.
View All Quotes

That's what I'm saying. People were manufacturing and serializing firearms before 80% and unserialized guns were verboten. Based on the law it would stand to reason that something manufactured and and serialized before they even made up the new rules was always gtg, and would just be registered now if it was an "AW"
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a question. I’m confused about one part of this. If someone had an AW that was supposed to registered in ‘13 But didnt , could they now register it ? Seems if I read it right(which I probably didn’t) that it could be done now(by new deadline).
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By acesneights:
I have a question. I'm confused about one part of this. If someone had an AW that was supposed to registered in '13 But didnt , could they now register it ? Seems if I read it right(which I probably didn't) that it could be done now(by new deadline).
View Quote
You mean you bought a stripped lower/compliant gun before June 2023 that was then made illegal and you're registering now? Sounds good. Unless you have a DPS3 that says otherwise
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
If someone had an AW that was supposed to registered in ‘13 But didnt , could they now register it ? Seems if I read it right(which I probably didn’t) that it could be done now(by new deadline).
View Quote

Yes. The state is giving those people another window to register.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

View All Quotes
If someone had an AW that was supposed to registered in '13 But didnt , could they now register it ? Seems if I read it right(which I probably didn't) that it could be done now(by new deadline).

No, technically this is specifically for guns that were deemed illegal in the new ban post '13, meaning Others
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acesneights] [#13]
It seemed like it was also another window for anything that didnt get registered in 2013 that should have been. was trying to figure out the wording.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

No, this registration period isn't for any previously unregistered AW. This registration period, per the written law, is supposed to be for "others" and "preban" that violate the feature ban list set forth by PA 23-53 (HB6667). We don't know yet how strict SLFU will be in what they approve this time around.
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definitions.
(10) “2023 assault weapon” means an assault weapon described in any provision of subparagraphs (G) to (I), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of this section.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Whoops. Definitely don't listen to me for legal advice. Was I confusing it with the mag declaration? Wasn't that opened up again for anyone that didn't register?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#16]
Was I confusing it with the mag declaration? Wasn't that opened up again for anyone that didn't register?
View All Quotes
Was I confusing it with the mag declaration? Wasn't that opened up again for anyone that didn't register?

Sec. 53-202x. Declaration of possession of large capacity magazine. Regulations.
(2) Except as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection, any person who lawfully possessed a large capacity magazine prior to January 1, 2014, and had not yet declared possession of such magazine as of July 1, 2023, shall apply by January 1, 2024, to declare possession of such magazine. Such application shall be made on such form or in such manner as the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection prescribes. Truthful information included on a timely registration application for a large capacity magazine pursuant to this subdivision shall not be used against the defendant in any criminal prosecution for possession of such large capacity magazine.
SLFU didn't publicly announce or even post the updated magazine declaration form on their main webpage like they did with the AW application. There was only a few months (like 3) left to register when they finally got around to sending the updated form to those who emailed/called asking about it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top