Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2024 11:41:57 PM EDT
My wife wants to visit. I have no idea where to go.  I really don't want big cities like LA or San fran.  But we don't want to sit in the sticks and do nothing.  I really can't hike far because of a bad hip but do love the country. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She wants to rent a cabin or town house.  We would fly in and rent a car. ,but I have no idea where to go to.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe Tahoe or somewhere on the coast might be something to consider. Driving the 101 you can see some beautiful coastal spots. It can be slow driving though. The Sierras just got a load of snow, so Tahoe might be busier than you’d like.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:50:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#2]
Originally Posted By BB4XL:
My wife wants to visit. I have no idea where to go.  I really don't want big cities like LA or San fran.  But we don't want to sit in the sticks and do nothing.  I really can't hike far because of a bad hip but do love the country. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She wants to rent a cabin or town house.  We would fly in and rent a car. ,but I have no idea where to go to.
Thank you
View Quote

When?  Generally, the time frame between Memorial Day and Labor Day is high tourism pretty much everywhere.  Weekends can be pricier in areas which are within "weekend getaway" range (say 2 to 3 hour drives) from the population centers.  You probably wouldn't like the desert areas in summer, which could run from may maybe to October for unpleasant to worse heat.  Anything in particular you really like?  California has some very diverse regions not remotely like the biggest cities.

"Central Coast" Starts, northbound, kind of after leaving Santa Barbara.  The coast gets more rugged, the "Coastal Range" mountains and valleys, ranching country but also wine country.  San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cambria, Paso Robles kind of in the middle.  Kind of stops as you get to Monterey and Pacific Grove on the coast but the serious population doesn't start until closer to say San Jose or so.  North of San Francisco, there's wine country again and redwoods country as you go north.  The coast can be very remote, Highway 101 is inland but  "rural" starts pretty quickly going north (inexpensive takes longer to reach somewhat).  On the east side of the Central Valley, the "Gold Country" following Highway 49 is a long string of small mining communities which can be very quiet, touristy for their quaintness, getting a bit toney and some new "wine" development in some spots.  this is the foothills of the sierra Nevada, so accessible to the National Parks, Giant Sequoias, a couple of spectacular passes to the east side of the Sierra.  when the snow finally melts.

I wouldn't completely write off some time in the L.A. area or San Francisco, especially if interested in the arts, museums, gardens, galleries, big famous parks, etc.  Can take some effort and planning.  Big areas, lots to see, lots of people.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A Driving and Sightseeing Tour of California -

San Diego Mission Bay

Cambria and Hearst Castle*

Pacific Coast Highway 1*

Monterrey Bay and Aquarium

Ferndale, Redwoods and The Lost Coast

Yosemite National Park and Tioga Road*

Mammoth Lakes*

Death Valley

*  If you've never before been to California, these are the must-see sights.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm staying in the IE(Inland Empire) Corona and stayed for 2 years in Chino Hills.
Flying into Orange County or Ontario,  for me was better than LA.
Even with a layover in Denver isn't bad.
My experience is pretty good on the areas I've been.

Newport Beach- fishing
Chino Hills state park- hiking
Redwood forest/Kings canyon-camping/hiking
Joshua Tree- hiking

Desert Center- camping/hiking
This area I was sent to by my company for 2 weeks to recon the I-10 reconstruction.
They offered to put me up in Blythe and there's no way I would stay there.
Truck camping in the desert while getting paid was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The central valley (Stockton, Modesto, Merced, Fresno, Bakersfield) is a great place to see how the producers of Cali live...
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
First two are spring on the Central Coast, the last is fall in the eastern Sierra

The coastal route, generally Highway 101 and 1 is the scenic route. 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey covers Morro Bay and then north through Big Sur.  Big Sur is periodically closed for repairs due to slides or other storm damage. I-5 is unpleasant but fast after leaving the L.A. area south of Bakersfield.  Desolate between the eastern edge of the coast Ranges and the flat agricultural or oil producing Central Valley.  The high spot until getting close to the Bay Area is Harris Ranch near Coalinga.  Beef ranch with feed lot and a nice restaurant.  99 kind of centers up the Central Valley, follows the railroad from about Bakersfield and hits a variety of ag centered towns and cities.  Most of the time you drive through the Central Valley to get some place else.  East of the Sierra is Highway 395.  spectacular geology most of the way.  Owens Valley is set between the eastern scarp of the Sierras with a view of dramatic peaks and cliffs on the west and rain shadowed mountains on the east. Desert and volcanoes, etc., until you get to Bishop, then you climb into the mountains. Asmentioned Mammoth, lots of lakes and alpine areas.  At Lee ving, 120 comes down from Tioga Pass after crossing through Yosemite.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
Thank you
View Quote

After re-reading this, I had another thought.

Make Yosemite Valley and the surrounding area your objectives, there is a small development called "Yosemite West" where you can rent a "cabin".  They are actually furnished/equipped houses but you can rent them and stay in them for a few days or a week or whatever your plans call for.  They are very strategically located, yet secluded.

From there, it is a short drive to Yosemite Valley.  The Valley roads get crowded but it is spectacular!  Perhaps go to each of the several waterfalls.  Roads take you close and flat walkways get you as close as you care to go.  The falls should be thunderous this year with all the rain and snow we've gotten.  The Valley has at least 3 good places to buy a lunch.

You can also take a day trip and drive up Tioga Road.  Tioga road is also spectacular with lots of turn-outs and stops along the way to get out and stretch your legs, get some fresh air.  Up top, in Tuolomne Meadows, there is a Ranger Station and a place to get some food & snacks.  The Meadow is truly flat if you want to try a short hike.  Continue to the east, down to Lee Vining, then drive back.  Tioga Road going up (west) is well,... (see Featureless's last picture)... there's just nothing like it east of the Rockies,... nothing.   Take your time and enjoy it all.

If your hip affords you any mobility at all, you should be able to do the above.  You can judge how much walking to add to the driving - some or none, it's up to you.  If you've never before been to Yosemite or out west, it really is something you should see.

For those who have done this, it may seem cliche.  For those who have not, you might like it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you everyone!  We are thinking the first part of May.  You have given us a lot to consider.  The coast and Yosemite sound good.  I heard that you have to make reservations to get into Yosemite park, is this true?  Have heard that it can be a Zoo with people also. Where would everyone suggest to fly into if headed towards the park . Thank you
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
Check carefully.  In early May, it is unlikely that Tioga Road will be open.    

Current Conditions

The Valley floor gets busy mid-summer but, if you haven't ever been there, it is worth a visit.  It's a "zoo" only compared to the Park's backcountry (the frame of reference for many).

Road Status (as of today, right now)

Tire Chains May be Required - Carry tire chains in your car and be prepared to use them (even if your car has four-wheel drive): chains may become mandatory at any time. Drive carefully even when there are no chain requirements: you may encounter icy spots on mostly dry roads.

Call 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1) for the most up-to-date conditions (the information below only reflects planned or long-term closures)

Wawona Road (continuation of Highway 41 from Fresno) - Open

El Portal Road (continuation of Highway 140 from Merced) - Open

Big Oak Flat Road (continuation of Highway 120 from Manteca) - Open

Yosemite Valley Roads - Open

Hetch Hetchy Road - Open sunrise to sunset (closed when it is snowing or snow is forecast overnight; call number above for updates). - Call

Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) - Closed for the season due to snow - Closed

Badger Pass Road - Glacier Point Road closed for the season beyond Badger Pass - Open

Mariposa Grove Road - When open, road is open only to vehicles displaying disability placards. All others must use the free shuttle from Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza & Parking, which operates approximately mid-April through November. - Closed
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm feeling a bit like a travel agent.    
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you
View Quote

Fly into Reno and stay in a place near Quincy, Indian Valley just north of there is fantastic
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the page on "reservations."  https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm

Like Tioga Pass, Glacier Point Road is closed in the winter and plowing dates can't be predicted too far out.  Last year they didn't open until well into July.  That's unusually late.  They've just had a severe blizzard in parts of the Sierra and they may well have added to the Yosemite snowpack, too.  Early May should be good for water flow in the rivers and fall.  Probably not peaked, which can be about Memorial Day plus or minus some.  Last year there were several periods with the snowmelt being so strong that floods required closures of the roads in the valley and perhaps the junction area where 41, 140 and 120, the west side entry roads meet at the west end of the valley.  140 is considered all-year road as it comes in following the Merced River where the other two can pass over 6000 feet in places.  Infrequently rockslides and rock fall close 140.

If Glacier Point and Tioga Road and maybe Mariposa Grove are still closed, that limits the visitable area so weekends are apt to be crowded (noting the reservation schedules).  Weekends are always crowded.

Yosemite West is convenient for visiting Yosemite as it's right at the park edge.  But it is less convenient if you should think about going other places too.  If you should leave the park area, you could get stuck in gate delays even if you have reservations.

I'd suggest considering Mariposa or Jamestown/Sonora as possible spots to consider.  Mariposa is about an hour drive to the valley, via the west entrance on 140.  Sonora is, I think about 2 hours or so to the valley on 120.  They also put you maybe 2-3 hours or so to San Francisco or Sacramento.  Sonora is convenient to going north on 49 through the Gold Country to a lot of little towns, Calaveras Big Trees and a couple of other passes over the Sierra.  They, like Tioga could be closed depending on snow, how late the last serious snow falls, etc.

Yeah, the general Arfcom opinion of San Francisco and Sacramento is pretty low, perhaps not rising to wretched, they do have a wide variety of tourism opportunities.  Kind of depends on if you want to make those sorts of drives or maybe split locations, etc.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#13]
San Francisco is so bad we won't go there.

We drive through it, past it or around it but we avoid it and will not stop, eat or stay there.

We had noticed the last few office workers quickly scurried straight from their buildings to the trains and cars as the "cockroaches" came out with the setting sun.

When asked, the hotel desk clerk warned us that the streets were not safe to walk after dark.  

We declined the room, got back into the car and drove to Half Moon Bay for the night's lodging.

Yes, it's THAT bad.  That was a long time ago.  It has gotten MUCH worse since.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Another way to do it is to stay in the town of Mammoth Lakes or June Lakes.  You can take a day trip drive up and over on Tioga Road and down into the Valley.  

All of these ideas involving Tioga Road depend upon it being open to vehicular traffic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Many years ago, we decided that we'd rather "do" Monterey than San Francisco.  At the time, it was more over the congestion and parking difficulties.  One could go to Monterey, park adjacent to Fisherman's Wharf or the Aquarium and pretty much easily walk the tourist area with kids.  and it's close to Pacific Grove, Point Lobos or Big Sur even if maybe one can't get all the way through.  Nearby Santa Cruz area has redwoods and a tourist railroad, too.

Now San Francisco is still too busy, congested, parking still sucks and the streets and crime issues are overwhelming.  Which is really a shame.  Our family has roots in San Francisco.  My dad's parents went through the earthquake, etc.  A drive through could include Lombard St, go along the Embarcadero, some of the other classic streets and views (Not parking at Twin Peaks!!), Fort Point, then the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe either the visitor center at the south end or out on the Marin Headlands to look back. It had the potential to be a world class destination.  Views, parks, dining, museums, cable cars, bridges, etc.  

But we still visit the Wine Country, Highway 1 up the coast, etc., and the Monterey Pacific Grove/Carmel areas.  Either are beautiful areas and could support a relaxed stay with day trips, etc., too.

Mammoth, June Lakes and Bishop are close and support area travel.  High Country snow may not be too big a problem by early May. Hard to tell.  The fall picture is up Bishop Creek.

There's tons to do or see in southern California, too, but the traffic situation just makes it difficult for visitors to get around being so spread out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Once again  THANK YOU everyone for the help.  We are going to talk to a Travel agent.  We have AAA and maybe talk to a few others .  Thanks again you folks have been so kind with your help.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#17]
This State is so BIG, it is difficult to see it all in one trip.

Translated to the eastern seaboard, it spans the distance from southern South Carolina up to Boston, MA.

Along that entire length, it is as wide as Virginia or North Carolina.

In total land area, it equals about 10 of the 13 original States, combined.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
This State is so BIG, it is difficult to see it all in one trip.

Translated to the eastern seaboard, it spans the distance from southern South Carolina up to Boston, MA.

Along that entire length, it is as wide as Virginia or North Carolina.

In total land area, it equals about 10 of the 13 original States, combined.
View Quote

Agree.  I was going to add something like this.  Visitors often underestimate the distances (or in L.A., the time) that can be involved in traveling California, so staying in one area can be calmer and more relaxed but should you decide to think different spots, check the maps.  That said, there's usually stuff to see and enjoy along the way, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top