Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2024 11:25:25 PM EDT
So my son will be coming down there in July for a Civil Air Patrol encampment this summer. Part of it he has to do a 3 day training next month. The wife and I will hang out and wait on him. Looking for a nice place to stay in a good part of town and also things to do or see in the area? Our Arkansas experience has been in the NW part of the state. Also any good places to eat? We like trying local places.

We will be there all day on a Saturday day and the morning on a Sunday.

Thank you for any help
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up in NLR, generally in that area (Levy).

Unfortunately I left in 1971 for college in NW Arkansas, so I can’t really give much advice.

I know that area has declined a lot since I left.  Conway is 30ish miles north on I40 and I think would be safer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Conway. Or Cabot.
I dislike traveling into LR/NLR unarmed.
It's not a war zone, but it's not a really safe area.
Obviously being on the military reservation is an exception to that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys. Sounds like we need to stay in Conway. How’s Mikes place for seafood? Looks good online. Anything we need to check out while we are there? I won’t be packing since we will be having to take him on base.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Mike's place has good food.
Seafood is pretty good to be this far inland, but obviously doesn't compare to most coastal towns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The Argenta district in downtown NLR is nice.  Suggest hang out there Saturday.
Little Rock's version (River Market) is directly across the river.
You would have plenty of time to see both.

I live close enough to Camp Robinson that I can hear reville some mornings at 6am and automatic gunfire many weekends.

I don't have any suggestions for hotels.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
We hit the Oyster Bar in LR when in town.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it’s been a day but we made it. Sitting in the hotel in Conway. Anything to go see around here tomorrow? Any good gun shops or sporting goods stores around here?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cpermd:
We hit the Oyster Bar in LR when in town.
View Quote

The Oyster Bar is awesome. When my son was back in town from Alaska, he makes a point of stopping there.
It's a far cry from the old neighborhood dive it was in the 80s, but still has lots of character and great food!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Well it’s been a day but we made it. Sitting in the hotel in Conway. Anything to go see around here tomorrow? Any good gun shops or sporting goods stores around here?
View Quote

Mike's place or the Pasta Grill in downtown Conway to eat.
Way over in NLR-Sherwood are Arkansas Armory and Fort Thompson.
American Tiger in Maumelle.
Arkansas Sportsman in Atkins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top