Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2022 6:42:17 PM EDT
I’m going on a trip to Halifax in early October and I know gun anything is a super no go, but would like to at least take a knife.  Are there any restrictions on knife carry like blade length, assisted opening or otf?  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio_Bill] [#1]
I travel to Canada regularly and have looked into this. From what I can determine:

Fixed blade = ok, and I couldn't find any restrictions on blade length
Two handed opening folders (eg multitool, traditional red Swiss Army Knife) = ok
One handed opening (switchblade, OTF, butterfly, etc) = prohibited
Assisted openers, like Kershaw seem to be prohibited under a customs rule from 2018 (link)

I check my car/bags to ensure nothing more potent than a multitool and a Swiss Army.
I also do a sweep of the car to make sure I don't have any stray gun stuff (mags etc).

edit - if any questions are asked, your knife is a tool for opening packages and so forth. Not a peep about "just in case" or "self defense"
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
I travel to Canada regularly and have looked into this. From what I can determine:

Two handed opening folders (eg multitool, traditional red Swiss Army Knife) = ok
Assisted openers, like Kershaw seem to be prohibited under a customs rule from 2018 (link)

I check my car/bags to ensure nothing more potent than a multitool and a Swiss Army.
I also do a sweep of the car to make sure I don't have any stray gun stuff (mags etc).

edit - if any questions are asked, your knife is a tool for opening packages and so forth. Not a peep about "just in case" or "self defense"
View Quote

Thanks sir
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:

Thanks sir
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

Thanks sir
@Fullautoguy

You're welcome

I grew up in Toronto, we went to Nova Scotia a few times when I was a kid. Enjoy your trip! Halifax is a long way from Texas
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top