Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 12:46:36 PM EDT
Ok, let's probe the edges of the shitty and vague pica law and ask the theoretical question of how it treats can cannons.

Could an Illinois FOID holder, today, get a complete can cannon upper/ar lower firearm shipped to their ffl? It's a single shot rifle (not even sure the law counts it as a rifle) and therefore would fall outside the purview of the law entirely, correct?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the law is, but the answer is yes, you can "get" an upper shipped TO YOUR DOOR.  

Note - Can cannons ARE LOUD.  Not sure what I was thinking, maybe it would sound like a grenade launcher on TV or something?   BOOOOM!!!!  REEEEEEEEEEEE

Use earpro.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I don't know what the law is, but the answer is yes, you can "get" an upper shipped TO YOUR DOOR.  

Note - Can cannons ARE LOUD.  Not sure what I was thinking, maybe it would sound like a grenade launcher on TV or something?   BOOOOM!!!!  REEEEEEEEEEEE

Use earpro.
View Quote

Yes, I am 100% certain even with the asinine pica law in place that getting a can cannon upper direct shipped to you is fine.

This is more of a conceptual thought exercise of if we can we still get ar-15 complete lower receivers in Illinois "legally" if they come with a can cannon on them already. I am pretty sure that we could since a single shot rifle would no longer subject to the law - it might be a way for dealers to actually move some inventory to residents too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieD308] [#4]
I had to look that one up.  It sounds like a can cannon is similar to a line throwing gun.

What are you planning on doing with it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Shooting cans of course.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m1a:
Shooting cans of course.
View Quote

Exactly, any and all legal purposes.

Mostly, I like the idea that FFL's could use the idea to move some inventory and people could thumb their nose at this stupid law legally.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IceChimp:

Exactly, any and all legal purposes.

Mostly, I like the idea that FFL's could use the idea to move some inventory and people could thumb their nose at this stupid law legally.
View Quote

Plus it's fun to shoot cans.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard from someone on an Illinois forum that some FFLs are still selling complete ARs so long as you buy that bolt carrier that turns it into a straight pull bolt action with it. He wouldn't say who, probably because he didn't know me and didn't want to get it shut down.

I feel like no one really knows what's legal and the government here is perfectly happy with that. The more vague it is the more likely they can use it at their discretion to punish you.

I've heard some FFLs don't sell mini 14s, but mine does. Mine doesn't sell ARs though.

When this was first enacted I had trouble getting uppers shipped but some.people say that's ok now. It's a mess by design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top