Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2023 5:54:19 PM EDT
Looking for property in North Carolina to eventually build on and retire.
Is Canton NC a decent place?

Anyone from there?
Decent hospital near by?
Shopping?
Safe place?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By LeonC:
Looking for property in North Carolina to eventually build on and retire.
Is Canton NC a decent place?

Anyone from there? Yes
Decent hospital near by? No, not even close
Shopping? Sure in Atlanta
Safe place?yes
View Quote

I moved from there 14 years ago and don’t wanna go back.

Even the hospital in Asheville is iffy. I answered your questions in the quote above.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:

I moved from there 14 years ago and don’t wanna go back.

Even the hospital in Asheville is iffy. I answered your questions in the quote above.
View Quote

Darn. Alright I'll keep looking.

Where did you end up moving?

I'm also looking in the Moravian Falls as well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
where ever you look.. you will need to visit several times i suggest at least every season to get the real feel..

aka the heat and sweet on the southern coast... that last from may-sept, the mountains the coolness vs the heat..

etc... plus you get to see how people really act the more you go visit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Canton just lost their oldest and largest employer, I would have to think that once the local economy craps out, you know what results.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44] [#5]
It’s not a bad area. Not particularly nice either. I agree it is going to get bad with the mill closing. Definitely not the best. If I were moving to this area now, I’d probably look at Brevard, Mills River, some parts of Hendersonville, Old Fort, Fairview, Waynesville, some parts of Madison County, Rutherfordton. There’s more but those stand out. Cost of living here has gotten ridiculous. I live in Fairview. There is a double wide on a half acre they’re trying to sell for over 400k. That’s just pure insanity. Zillow
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
It’s not a bad area. Not particularly nice either. I agree it is going to get bad with the mill closing. Definitely not the best. If I were moving to this area now, I’d probably look at Brevard, Mills River, some parts of Hendersonville, Old Fort, Fairview, Waynesville, some parts of Madison County, Rutherfordton. There’s more but those stand out. Cost of living here has gotten ridiculous. I live in Fairview. There is a double wide on a half acre they’re trying to sell for over 400k. That’s just pure insanity. Zillow
View Quote

The worst part is they just might get it, there is a piece of land down the street from that they are asking $200K for, it's two lots a total of about 3/4 of an acre. One lot is useless as it has a 70' power line easement running through the property and the other lot won't perc for septic. In addition to those issues it's in the steep slope zoning so its just about impossible to build on with out all of the other issues.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Union Mills or Moravian Falls area nice?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
Canton just lost their oldest and largest employer, I would have to think that once the local economy craps out, you know what results.
View Quote

This. We drove through there a year before the plant closure. Looked like a sad, run-down, depressed area then.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44] [#9]
Originally Posted By LeonC:

Union Mills or Moravian Falls area nice?
View Quote

I didn’t mention either of those places because I’m not familiar with either of those places.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you coming from?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Wife and I really liked those areas when we were looking but ended up buying just outside of Hickory and really like the area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
you wanna look in Spartanburg, Greenville, or Pickens County South Carolina. Pickens is actually very rural. There’s parts of Greenville that are very rural Spartanburg is developing but you can still get reasonable if you look. And you’re close enough to the cities of Greenville Charlotte, Atlanta, Asheville, etc..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top