Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2024 9:10:20 AM EDT
For the past 12 years I’ve really been out of the gun scene but find myself itching to get back.  

I used to hunt at Mud Lake before this facility existed.  Dang, it’s just a few minutes from my house.  Why did I just learn of it’s existence?

How are these facilities?  Busy? Normally inhabited by cool people, fudds or idiots?  Info on target backers…bring a stapler or clothes pins?

Rules say to pick up your brass.  Should you bring your own broom and dustpan?  Trash bins on site?

Looks like theres benches.  Can you also shoot standing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The WIDNR range at Mud Lake was closed for awhile due to berm erosion. It reopened May 17th last year. It's closed to the public on Wednesdays for LEO training, but open to the public Thrusday thru Tuesday.
It's been awhile since I was there, but I brought my  own target stands ( I make mine out of 3/4" PVC pipe as they are easy to repair if they get struck) and there is no shooting of targets on the ground. There is more range information on the WIDNR website.
Gary
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot there once in awhile, while I was between clubs.  Not a bad range.  
Pistol range kinda sucks as I want to shoot more than 25 feet nd when its busy you are right on top of the next guy.
100 yard rifle range was good for sight in and load dev with the high berms, and nice benches.  I dont think they allow offhand shooting at 50 and 100 if I remember right.
Lots of mall ninjas on the weekends just blasting away and lots of brass scroungers not there to shoot running around grabbing anything and everything that hits the ground, which as a reloader really used to piss me off.
I have a friend with a few NFA items that shot there and the management called the local sheriff on him even though he has all needed paperwork and stamps on hand.  ATF showed up as well, and told the sheriff to piss off and leave him alone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Just spent an hour and a half shooting here.  

Got there at about 11 on this beautiful spring Saturday.  Pistol range was crowded, people were standing around waiting.  One guy patterning a shotgun on the shotgun range,  about 3 or 4 groups on the 50 yard rifle and 2 guys on the 100 yard.  

Guess bench shooting only on the rifle ranges.  Signage all over specifying rifle/shotgun/pistol only.  Guess you’re SOL if you got a hunting handgun you want to shoot to 50 yards.  If I want to shoot buckshot and slugs…rifle or shotgun range?

Ended up shooting at the pistol range.  When we left there was only one other group on the pistol range.  No target backers on the pistol range, just some snow fencing to clothes pin a target to.  It works, guess I didn’t need to bring my stapler.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I bought one to pick up acorns. They come in 3 sizes. I got the small. Works fantastic on acorns, and also works great on pistol brass, like .380, 9mm, 10mm, .45acp. I have a shell catcher for my ARs, and my AK usually is fired with steel cased Russian stuff (I use a magnet to pick those up) so I've never tried it with rifle cases. I got mine from Ace Hardware, but Amazon & Home Depot have them also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2QD3WS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top