Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2024 5:54:37 AM EDT
I attempted to perform a site search and didn’t have much luck with the results. I’m just attempting to follow up and get some concrete answers regarding the pistol brace idiocy. Did the pistol brace ban finally get shot down to make them legal again? Specifically in Michigan? Does anyone possibly have a link? I want to throw a brace back onto my scorpion but I don’t want to make the mistake until being sure. I have seen some videos saying that the law was finally slapped down because it was legal before and many were bought. I know many got around it by making their firearm an SBR but I didn’t want to go that route like suppressors because I heard that getting permits like that allows the feds enter your home to inspect registered items on demand! That’s why I haven’t applied for a suppressor yet. If this is false please feel free to educate me. But Im really just trying to find out about the pistol brace law. Thank you guys.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edcarPT] [#1]
OK for brace at the present time as ban was slapped down. Britto vs ATF Texas federal court Dec 2023.  Could change at anytime as the ATF will appeal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By edcarPT:
OK for brace at the present time as ban was slapped down. Britto vs ATF Texas federal court Dec 2023.  Could change at anytime as the ATF will appeal.
View Quote

So would you recommend that I just leave the brace off my Scorpion for the time being? I mean the ATF can attempt to appeal until they are blue in the face, I was under the impression that the ATF cannot make laws! They can only enforce the laws that are written and passed by our legislature. Am I right or wrong in this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people that I shoot with are running braces at this point. Just know I'm not pretending to be a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChickenMan11:

So would you recommend that I just leave the brace off my Scorpion for the time being? I mean the ATF can attempt to appeal until they are blue in the face, I was under the impression that the ATF cannot make laws! They can only enforce the laws that are written and passed by our legislature. Am I right or wrong in this?
View Quote

The ATF interpreting laws and changing them is currently the topic of several court battles (brace ruling, bump stock ruling, frame/reciever ruling, etc). As of the other day there was a national injunction of the Brace Ruling, but I believe it's being challenged. It's up to you about putting the brace back on. There isn't anything to prevent you legally right now. Many gun companies have started selling braced pistols again.
As for the ATF entering your home because you own NFA weapons is a wives tail. I have a buddy who has owned NFA items for 30 plus years. No issues. I've own several NFA items. Only issues is the paper work and time to get them and forms to fill out if you travel across State lines. Note that Michigan law does state to carry a copy of your approved Form 1 or 4 when transporting your NFA. No biggie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top