Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2023 4:02:34 AM EDT
I've been kinda thinking lately, "I'd like to try deer hunting. Seems like a fun excuse to get my ass out into the woods a bit more." So I've been doing some light research as far as the laws and basically how to get into it.

So, OK, law says no semi-autos for deer hunting in PA. But really doesn't seem to get into any more detail on the matter.

What about semi-autos that were converted to manual? Popular opinion among hunters and game wardens in PA seems to range from "once a semi-auto, ALWAYS a semi-auto FOREVER." to "it's OK as long as it's permanently modified." How permanently? No modification is really permanent if you throw enough tools and effort at it. "As long as you can't swap it to semi in the field." Ok, so if it's just a simple field strip and part-swap, but I don't bring the semi-auto part (I swears, you can search me.), does that count as not being able to swap it in the field?

How does all that jive with shotgun capacity limits for bird hunting? No game warden will give you shit for hunting with a typical Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 despite the fact that the only thing that makes them legal is a wooden dowel in the mag tube, that you can pull out in seconds at any time you want and load the gun up to full capacity. Everyone seems fine with that. What happened to readily convertible in the field?

So my question. Have there been any actual court cases addressing or clarifying this whole semi-auto conversion thing? Because right now it kind of seems like game wardens just pull their own interpretations out of their ass, and hunters just kinda roll with it because "well the game warden said.."

Let's limit this to semi-autos converted to manual action. I know that ideally we should just be able to use semi-autos for hunting, but that's a higher hanging fruit that's a whole different discussion. At the very least if the law limits you to manual operation, then it should be clear what that means without having to rely on the opinion of whatever game warden happens to come along at that moment.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
There's too much of a gray area on semi auto centerfire rifles for me to give advise on converting to them to manual. You maybe able to spin the gas block 180 degrees to block the gas port or install a barrel with no port drilled, but you are still at the mercy of the Wardens "interpretation" of the law.
That being said, you are able to use a semi auto shotgun without a plug for deer. My 1301 tactical will spend some time in the woods with me this season.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've read, an AR is a no go unless it has a barrel with no gas port drilled.  Even then, expect to get unwanted attention if hunting with a bolt action AR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
@Overscoped
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bulump:
@Overscoped
View Quote

Bite me
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#5]
I used a ar15 pistol with a Kali Key last year.

Nobody said shit.

I dunno if it's legal... but in my mind it is.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of using my Mini-14 (with .223 ammo appropriate for deer ofcourse.) It's a bit of a sentimental thing so thought it'd be cool to go take it out hunting.

Idea was, to tap some threads into the gas hole at the tip of the piston head, and put a screw in there as a plug. Then to make sure it's extra manual, get a spare op-rod, and drill some holes through the whole cylinder portion that slips over the gas piston. So even if any gas made it past the plug, it would just vent right out into the stock. Once done hunting, take it home, unscrew the plug, swap back to standard op-rod and you're back to semi.
It does atleast look like a typical hunting rifle from a distance. Plain Ranch mini, blued finish, wood stock, 5 round flush-fit mag.

I don't know, this whole thing just seems ripe for a court challenge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
I was thinking of using my Mini-14 (with .223 ammo appropriate for deer ofcourse.) It's a bit of a sentimental thing so thought it'd be cool to go take it out hunting.

Idea was, to tap some threads into the gas hole at the tip of the piston head, and put a screw in there as a plug. Then to make sure it's extra manual, get a spare op-rod, and drill some holes through the whole cylinder portion that slips over the gas piston. So even if any gas made it past the plug, it would just vent right out into the stock. Once done hunting, take it home, unscrew the plug, swap back to standard op-rod and you're back to semi.
It does atleast look like a typical hunting rifle from a distance. Plain Ranch mini, blued finish, wood stock, 5 round flush-fit mag.

I don't know, this whole thing just seems ripe for a court challenge.
View Quote

You can hunt Coyote with it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

Nobody said shit.

View Quote

I'm very happy to report that I was wrong.  Their FAQ used to specifically say that PGC considers itunlawful.  However, it has been changed and now says that PGC has allowed it.

https://kalikey.com/information/faq/
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 7:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hmm, I suppose I could. I'm not really picky if it's a deer or coyote. I'll hunt whatever needs killin'.

Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

Nobody said shit.

I'm very happy to report that I was wrong.  Their FAQ used to specifically say that PGC considers itunlawful.  However, it has been changed and now says that PGC has allowed it.

I guess I really should address this question to the PGC. If a KaliKey is legal, then my conversion certainly should be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nobody said shit.

I personally think that you're gonna get unwanted attention if you hunt on  gamelands with this set up.  however I hunt on private property and we Never get visited.

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
.223 for deer OP?  You better be close with a hit in the pumper.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fergus556] [#12]
PA fuds Glad I no longer live there
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#13]
Originally Posted By fergus556:
PA fuds Glad I no longer live there
View Quote

Because straight wall pistol cartridge rifles are awesome?

I was born and raised in PA and have lived in Ohio for more than a decade. Your comment is idiotic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
I've been kinda thinking lately, "I'd like to try deer hunting. Seems like a fun excuse to get my ass out into the woods a bit more." So I've been doing some light research as far as the laws and basically how to get into it.

So, OK, law says no semi-autos for deer hunting in PA. But really doesn't seem to get into any more detail on the matter.

What about semi-autos that were converted to manual? Popular opinion among hunters and game wardens in PA seems to range from "once a semi-auto, ALWAYS a semi-auto FOREVER." to "it's OK as long as it's permanently modified." How permanently? No modification is really permanent if you throw enough tools and effort at it. "As long as you can't swap it to semi in the field." Ok, so if it's just a simple field strip and part-swap, but I don't bring the semi-auto part (I swears, you can search me.), does that count as not being able to swap it in the field?

How does all that jive with shotgun capacity limits for bird hunting? No game warden will give you shit for hunting with a typical Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 despite the fact that the only thing that makes them legal is a wooden dowel in the mag tube, that you can pull out in seconds at any time you want and load the gun up to full capacity. Everyone seems fine with that. What happened to readily convertible in the field?

So my question. Have there been any actual court cases addressing or clarifying this whole semi-auto conversion thing? Because right now it kind of seems like game wardens just pull their own interpretations out of their ass, and hunters just kinda roll with it because "well the game warden said.."

Let's limit this to semi-autos converted to manual action. I know that ideally we should just be able to use semi-autos for hunting, but that's a higher hanging fruit that's a whole different discussion. At the very least if the law limits you to manual operation, then it should be clear what that means without having to rely on the opinion of whatever game warden happens to come along at that moment.
View Quote

@Nickel_Plated

I've emailed the PAGC and these are permissible to use to convert an ar to manual operation.  IF you want to use like a .300blk or a .308 ar this would be the best bet

Kali key
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top