Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 4:19:00 PM EDT
I now have a driveway that is 1/3 one color and 2/3 another. The county has been doing road work in my area. While doing that work, they damaged the lower 1/3 of my driveway. This happened about a year ago. I was happy to have them replace the lower 1/3 of the driveway. However the problem is, my driveway is now two different colors. The county says the damaged portion is on an easement and basically says I am SOL and to deal with it. has anyone had to deal with a situation like this? How did it turn out? Any tips?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#1]
You mean your concrete is aged and the new concrete is bright? Yeah, you're stuck with it. Just stain the whole thing if it bothers you.

They did my crumbling curbs, without even giving me a hard time amazingly, and it's obvious lol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
County mowing crew has busted one corner of my apron THREE TIMES.  I'm on a first name basis with the road department repair guy.

That spot is bright grey.  I'm just happy they fix it without any BS.  Repair guy does good work.

I'm more pissed that I maintain the right of way in front of my place (mowing, spraying, limb trimming), and they have no reason to even be near the apron.  The turnover for their mowing crew is high so we get what we get.  

Don't mean to be a dick but I think what you got is the best you're going to get.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
They're correct about the easement.  

I guess you could try suing the county but you know how that would go.
View Quote

Naled it.  And honestly I can't see why any one would GAS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Shit, you got off easy. I had a drainage issue that was the city's fault. I put in a work order with city public works and instead of it getting done. Code enforcement fines me $2k for "illicit dumping into the swell" from my water softener system. Thing is, when they fined me, I didn't even have that system yet. Took two years of me fighting with the city. Until finally I pulled my professional side into it and reached out to the local Fox News station that always does legislative update interviews for them to do a news story about the drainage issue.

They did the news story and later that day, I went to city hall like I've been doing for the past two years. Made the usual complaints, the city tried to brush me off. I told them to watch the 6pm news on the Fox affiliate. The next day, after getting complaints from other residents who saw the news story. The city finally agreed to trench the swells and get the drainage issue resolved.

The fact that they fucked up your driveway and fixed it. Is awesome. My neighbor had to pay $11k for her driveway to be fixed because of the erosion caused by the city's lack of drainage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, thanks a lot for the input. The concensus opinion is what I expected. Oh well.

So if I want to it to match (or at least look better than it does) is painting it the only option? Is painting it a bad idea due to wear, chipping paint, etc. Down the road?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#7]
Originally Posted By rssc:
Guys, thanks a lot for the input. The concensus opinion is what I expected. Oh well.

So if I want to it to match (or at least look better than it does) is painting it the only option? Is painting it a bad idea due to wear, chipping paint, etc. Down the road?
View Quote

Pressure wash the old part of the driveway?

I had my driveway painted with a mildew resistant paint, so I didn't have to pressure wash it every year. By the time I moved, the paint was on there for 4 years and started showing minor signs of chipping. 2-3 areas that got hit with a pressure washer, while cleaning out under the ac unit.

EDIT: Only image of the driveway after the paint job.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the picture and the info. It sounds like painting it is the only option.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rssc:
Thanks for the picture and the info. It sounds like painting it is the only option.
View Quote

No problem. IIRC it was some type of epoxy paint I got from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Look how my City tried fix my driveway they took out for no reason,
they thought a shut off valve was under it, it wasn't though.

They had to tear it out again and cut more of the original drive and repair
the asphalt skirt They also hit my mailbox with a backhoe. Idiots

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top