Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2019 3:24:37 AM EDT
I’ve been reading on other forums that a bill is currently making its way through the state legislature that would change access to private land for hunting.  As I understand stand it (please correct me if I’m wrong) that existing law allows for public access to private property so long as the land is not posted for trespass.  The law currently making its way through the house and senate would change this so that. All land is considered private and not accessible regardless of being posted or not.  Is my reading of this correct?  And, if so, what do residents of the state feel about the legislation as well as the odds of it becoming law?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
As a landowner, I had no problem with the old policy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Garand. Yes, the new law would make all land “posted”.......the legislature did nothing to enforce trespassing laws or enhance trespassing arrests. Which was the “gripe” that got this shit started.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
This is dumb. Most land owners who don't want hunters post
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This "Open unless posted" standard in North Dakota is one of my few gripes about North Dakota.  I don't want uninvited people on my ranch any more than you want uninvited people in your back yard or swimming pool.  Nope such a universal "Posted" law passes soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindless:
This "Open unless posted" standard in North Dakota is one of my few gripes about North Dakota.  I don't want uninvited people on my ranch any more than you want uninvited people in your back yard or swimming pool.  Nope such a universal "Posted" law passes soon.
View Quote

As a landowner myself, I understand that sentiment. But I realized a few years ago that assholes are going to trespass on my land regardless of posted status. Posting only keeps out the decent folk.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By footdoc1:
I’ve been reading on other forums that a bill is currently making its way through the state legislature that would change access to private land for hunting.  As I understand stand it (please correct me if I’m wrong) that existing law allows for public access to private property so long as the land is not posted for trespass.  The law currently making its way through the house and senate would change this so that. All land is considered private and not accessible regardless of being posted or not.  Is my reading of this correct?  And, if so, what do residents of the state feel about the legislation as well as the odds of it becoming law?
View Quote

I've always considered land "posted" if I don't have explicit permission to hunt on it.
Crazy that we need a law for that but I understand some peoples kids are assholes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always wondered since peoples property is by default considered public property unless otherwise marked, there should be nothing stopping anyone from entering a house not marked with a proper no trespassing sign, same with cars etc.  I know when I was a kid when we'd put up signs before hunting season, they were all either torn down or shot to shit by the first day of hunting.  Basically had to put up signs almost daily & be driving around keeping an eye on things.  Private property should be private.  If you want people to hunt on your land it won't be hard to get hunters to come to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top