Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2024 10:08:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DernHumpus]
We have 5 acres along a state highway, no waterways, ponds, etc.  But we have livestock, a shooting berm, and every time I stick a shovel in the ground I find old scrap metal.  I am concerned they would find something that would require correcting.  FWIW, our entire ditch area is well-mowed up through and across to our fenceline.

Obviously, answer is 'no', but what are they really looking for?  Pictures incoming of notice/request.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DernHumpus] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: liljakec] [#2]
They are doing the cultural resources survey to look for Native American artifacts. If they find anything, it means that they can not move through with the project in that area. We have to do this for any new pipeline project.

Sounds like the state is going to widen the highway/ROW and it might encroach on your property.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By liljakec:
They are doing the cultural resources survey to look for Native American artifacts. If they find anything, it means that they can not move through with the project in that area. We have to do this for any new pipeline project.

Sounds like the state is going to widen the highway/ROW and it might encroach on your property.
View Quote
They already widened it with all of the rock they pushed off the shoulder into my yard this year
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By liljakec:

View Quote

This would be my guess.

The DNR is the organization you don't want snooping around your property. If they find something in the ground they don't like they can very well make you clean it up and it won't be cheap when following their rules.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gunner76:

This would be my guess.

The DNR is the organization you don't want snooping around your property. If they find something in the ground they don't like they can very well make you clean it up and it won't be cheap when following their rules.
View Quote
Right.  I don't have problem with them looking in the area directly affected by the road/shoulder, but I'm not signing a permission slip for them to snoop around my entire property.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds like they want to see if you are part of the good candidacy to get eminent domained
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#7]

What good can come from this? None I'd tell them no thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]
They just want a blanket easement to do anything from looking at plants to operate a boring rig from now until the end of time.

What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DernHumpus] [#9]
Well we just received a certified letter that they are now doing it under court order.  Apparently it isn't just the ditch and they are allowed to drill within 50 ft of buildings?    I'll post the letter once my wife gets home with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
What I have learned from working with government agencies is that you rarely can stop the train... but if you do everything in your power to slow its progress, the train sometimes goes in a different direction.  I would continue to make their job as difficult as reasonably possible.  What that looks like will be different in each situation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
Well we just received a certified letter that they are now doing it under court order.  Apparently it isn't just the ditch and they are allowed to drill within 50 ft of buildings?    I'll post the letter once my wife gets home with it.
View Quote

My neighbor had this done when they were going to put a gas pipeline through a corner of his property.
They will present to you the court order with specific plats of your land detailed by location that they want to search.
Make sure you read the court order thoroughly and the plat locations they want to search.

If you have bio security measures set up for your livestock, make sure they follow your protocol. May that be masks, gloves, booties whatever.

If you want to read through
PLATTING — DIVISION AND SUBDIVISION OF LAND, §354.2
CHAPTER 354

It somewhat breaks down what they can and can't do. Specifically 354.4A Entry upon land for survey purposes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
View Quote

Bummer
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top