Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2023 4:56:47 PM EDT
Howdy All,

Work is going to take me up to the KC area  (Olathe KS) and was wondering if there was any good BBQ places to try?

I'm always hearing from "some people" who say that KC BBQ is better than Texas BBQ, so I'd like to put that too the test.

Any suggestions or places you'd recommend?

Thanks in Advance!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Arthur Bryant's is good, and Famous Dave's is decent. I won't go so far as to say that they are better than Texas BBQ though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hollowpoint2003] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eddster:
Arthur Bryant's is good, and Famous Dave's is decent. I won't go so far as to say that they are better than Texas BBQ though.
View Quote

Famous Dave’s is a chain.  Just…no…

Pork Ribs - Bates City BBQ in Shawnee. Quivera/Shawnee Mission Parkway.  Best kept secret in my opinion, in that you don’t hear about it outside of the area.  

Burnt Ends - Original gas station Joe KC

Q39 off College/Antioch - triple threat sandwich.  chipotle sausage patty, pulled pork, pork belly with some apple slaw and other stuff.   Kind of upscale but damn good.

If you have to stay in Olathe proper, there’s a Joe KC there as well.  Can’t go wrong with a Z man.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Slaps in KCK, probably is the best overall in my opinion.  

I do enjoy JackStack. They have the best beans and coleslaw and crown prime rib(beef rib)is $$$
I have never had Jones, but there is always a line and sells out.

blind box is good and makes good specialty cocktails

woodyard is good as well
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:38:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SmallTownGuy1] [#4]
Originally Posted By kc215:
Slaps in KCK, probably is the best overall in my opinion.  

I do enjoy JackStack. They have the best beans and coleslaw and crown prime rib(beef rib)is $$$
I have never had Jones, but there is always a line and sells out.

blind box is good and makes good specialty cocktails

woodyard is good as well
View Quote

2nd on Jack stack - but only the Martin city location since 1975  and the overland park location

q39 a few times

i Should be up Saturday for about two weeks so if you see a Texas plate may be me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
OP

Joes KC in Olathe or Q39 about 10 minutes away in Overland Park are the tier 1 options.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are in south west olathe and can’t get away to the other places, johnnys bbq on old 56 highway is worth a visit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]
In Olathe, Joe's KC is probably your best bet.  Johnny's BBQ is decent too but I think Joe's is better. For breakfast food go to Old 56 diner.

If you're up for a drive, Smoked Creations in Ottawa, Ks is a good spot. Better than Joe's in my opinion.  Biggs BBQ in Lawrence is also pretty good.  Also Burgers by Biggs is good for a hamburger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm setting off at midnight to arrive in mid day for a delivery, will be sure to check out the options Y'all were kind enough to provide.

THANKS & BEST WISHES TO ALL!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#9]
Arrived safely, unloaded the precious's and kicking it KC (O.K. Olathe KS) style.

Joe's KC BBQ. It is busy for a weeknight.  They have a whole section of the parking lot blocked off & signed just for pick up orders. Business is clearly booming!

Lots of folks inside - was waivering between the "Rocket Pig" vs. The "Z-man".  Informal poll while waiting in line to order sealed the deal for the "Z-Man".

Tasty! Very thin cut - deli style. Different for sure vs. thenusual thick cut brisket & was very tasty. The thick home style  onion rings are a nice touch! Met several folks at the adjoining tables. Nice crowd all around!

Sadly, Tay-Tay did not drop by to see me

Now to find a hotel room to lay up for the night before the return back to ATX

It's been a long day, a good night & I am beat - Thank You to all for your suggestions. I think I impressed the client so this might become a more "regular" thing every so often

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Arrived safely, unloaded the precious's and kicking it KC (O.K. Olathe KS) style.

Joe's KC BBQ. It is busy for a weeknight.  They have a whole section of the parking lot blocked off & signed just for pick up orders. Business is clearly booming!

Lots of folks inside - was waivering between the "Rocket Pig" vs. The "Z-man".  Informal poll while waiting in line to order sealed the deal for the "Z-Man".

Tasty! Very thin cut - deli style. Different for sure vs. thenusual thick cut brisket & was very tasty. The thick home style  onion rings are a nice touch! Met several folks at the adjoining tables. Nice crowd all around!

It's been a long day, a good night & I am beat - Thank You to all for your suggestions. I think I impressed the client so this might become a more "regular" thing every so often

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
15-20 min from me....thx for donating your tax dollars and supporting local business
Safe travels
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Welcome, friend!

You simply can’t beat some good BBQ, be it Texas or KC style.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Joe's KC in Olathe is a 5 minute drive from my work.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Can't go wrong with anything they have.  Was there Thursday evening for carry out. Safe travels!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#14]
I am hoping to make a return run with a better layover instead of the last "Turn & Burn".

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I am hoping to make a return run with a better layover instead of the last "Turn & Burn".

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

I hope you enjoy your stay again!   If you have time, and fancy a bit of a drive down I-35, give Smoked Creations BBQ in Ottawa a try.  Also, Olathe Gun Shop is a decent shop to look at.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The only reason to drive towards Ottawa on a BBQ run, is to drive another 15 minutes to Guy and Mae's for some ribs.  (bring cash, no cc).  Half a dozen places I'd go before Smoked Creations, probably a dozen actually.  I mean, if we're down there for the car show, sure.  But not sitting at home trying to think of where to go for dinner.

BB's Lawnside: Thursday night special, the Big Sweet.  Or the burnt ends.
Q39
Chef J: best brisket short of driving to Austin
Harps: almost as good brisket as Chef J
LC's: my favorite beef sandwich when it is on.  Sadly, they are not consistent.  But have been getting better recently.  Couple weeks back, had the best sandwich I've ever had there.  
Johnny's BBQ in Olathe
Brobecks: ribs or burnt ends.  Cheesy corn. Steak fries
Meat Mitch: approaching/equaling Q39/Chef J/Harps level of quality
Scott's Kitchen: up by the airport

Rosedale: we go there once every 5 or 6 weeks. (chopped) beef on bread, beans, fries and a bottle of RC cola.
Zarda: safe bbq and their Apple Harvest sauce????  omg
Slaps: not my thing, unless you can catch them doing their Waygu Beef ribs.  Lots of people really like the place though.
Gates: usually hit it every 6 weeks or so on my day off.  Spicy/vinegary sauce is not for everybody and consistency can be problematic.  But a KC staple, so....
Arthur Bryant's: KC staple, but not everyone's cup of tea
Jack Stack: upscale, usually pretty good.  top 5 beans
Snead's: problematic consistency.  top 5 beans
K&M in Springhill: mmmmm sauce

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top